Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 295 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Thanks, it has been a few weeks since I’ve been down there to see it.

I was involved in organizing an April cleanup along North Bank Park, but the CRPD property manager said no because that NBP section of riverbank will be rebuilt. It looks like we will have to move up to the confluence.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Pretty slick new visual element for the riverfront, not too impressed with the big ‘Merica example they highlight in the article but another example gives does better job showing the effect.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/03/26/first-look-led-light-display-coming-to-scioto.html?ana=twt

The lights can be programmed to display different colors, designs and even animations that could be part of the many events held along the riverfront such as Red White & Boom, Columbus Recreation and Parks Department Director Alan McKnight told commission members.

genoa park riverfront

surber17
    Participant

That is so freakin cool! This is the type of stuff that tourists remember and tell their friends about.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Very cool indeed!!

I wonder what ever happened to the giant sculpture proposed on the other side of the river.

Mike88
    Participant

That is so freakin cool! This is the type of stuff that tourists remember and tell their friends about.

Agreed, things like this are certainly worth the investment

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

You know you’ve got a good idea when the commission interrupts your presentation to approve it.

I think the lighting they add to the Scioto Mile during Christmas should be permanent. Not all the lights and balls in the trees, but the lights on the ground that LEDS they use to light up the tree trunks looks really nice and would be a cool element to keep. It would complement this proposal as well.

ohbr
    Participant

Pretty neat. I had wondered if they could up light many of the trees along the river with programable lights to change the colors of the trees along the river for various occasions. And at Christmas, Wouldn’t the riverfront look awesome if they expanded the lights to include both sides from North Bank to Milestone? Lastly, in a semi related note, I always thought the BWC Building would be great to light up but I’m sure that would be considered government waste or something and I hope they update the Leveque Lights at some point to LED for more versatility and vibrancy to help create a more vibrancy nightscape.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Couple of new shots of the river today… water level was high and moving quickly. ;)

FROM HERE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-march-2015-part-1

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Couple of new shots of the river today… water level was high and moving quickly. ;)

There’s only 3770 CFS at Jackson Pike, that’s not much. I guess this shows how much they’ve narrowed the channel. It will certainly overflow those banks from time to time.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=31&site_no=03227500

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

There’s only 3770 CFS at Jackson Pike, that’s not much.

Ah! Just looked full then. ;)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

From my earliest knowledge of this, the planners have said they expect parts of the riverbank park to experience flooding, and they’re designing for that. They’re not done with it yet.

pez
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

There’s only 3770 CFS at Jackson Pike, that’s not much. I guess this shows how much they’ve narrowed the channel. It will certainly overflow those banks from time to time.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=31&site_no=03227500

I think that the occasional overflow was part of the original planning. Regardless, it’s a great project overall.

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

Today’s update along the riverfront:

columbusmike
    Participant

Fort Wayne, Indiana riverfront project:
    http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=7953#.VSemZYb3anO

Fort Wayne Riverfront Project

CyclingExplorer
    Participant

May Update at the riverfront.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 295 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER