Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Really starting to get a true idea of the massive amount of greenspace being added by this project. I hope trees will be planted along the banks. I don’t want it to look like the Hocking River in Athens.

This will be impressive in a few years.

theadocj
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

Looks like someone fell asleep at the wheel there ;)

If you make the river narrower shouldn’t it be deeper? At least deeper than a bulldozer can drive through? I know they took out dams too, but really?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If you make the river narrower shouldn’t it be deeper? At least deeper than a bulldozer can drive through? I know they took out dams too, but really?

Well, they’re not finished yet. I wouldn’t assume any aspect about the river today is a final product.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

One principle of stream restoration is not to build the final result, but build it to where it can attain a final form – though that in itself is a bit incorrect because the riverbed will always be changing.

The level will change all the time. When it’s high, it will resemble the pool it used to be, only moving with ripples. When it’s low, there will be a lot of stony exposed riverbed.

Edited to add, it looks like a lot of tires are washing down from upstream, now that there’s much more current.

drtom1234
    Participant

I was fortunate enough to be at a presentation about this project the other day. Pertinent things that I can remember off the top of my head. 1)There will several hundred trees planted along the 34 acres(I seem to remember 800, but I may be mistaken.) 2)There will be a 700 foot long lower river walk on the east side of the river. That’s where the metal pieces are going in now. 3)Right across the river from Cosi, again on the east side, will be an overlook which should have a lovely view based on the rendering I saw. 4)They are remaking the river as best they can to a natural configuration, meaning there will be shallower areas(called riffles(?)), and deeper pool areas, which will be 12-16 feet deep. In between the riffles and the pools will be transition areas up and down. 5)They expect that there will be times when there will be flooding. To that end, the area by cosi will have an area with a more natural riverbank(reeds and such). However, they expect that there will be rare occasions when other areas of the riverbank will flood as well. 6)The area by the lower riverwalk will be sodded, but all the rest of the riverbanks will be seeded during spring of next year, in anticipation of the project being done November 2015. 7)There will be two areas on the east side of the river where you’ll be able and allowed to put in canoes or kayaks.

columbusmike
    Participant

This would be a great way to link COSI and downtown. Could be a great place to fish, etc.

http://thekyotoproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/飛び石.bmp

News
    Participant

THE SCIOTO GREENWAYS PROJECT: TRANSFORMING DOWNTOWN COLUMBUS
    10/14/2014

Currently, the river along the Scioto Mile remains a slow-moving, wide pool of sediment-laden water due to presence of low head dams. Dam removal and river restoration projects have been shown to increase property values, encourage investment, and create vibrant communities across the nation. Thus, the Scioto Greenways project was formed.

READ MORE: http://www.sciotomile.com/scioto-greenways-project-transforming-downtown-columbus/

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Look at the top of that picture, going upstream from North Bank Park, which is the upstream end of the current work scope.

No bulldozing there (yet) and the Scioto and Olentangy are carving their own ways with a lot of energy where it used to be slack water. That will be the interesting thing to watch in the next few years.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Wow, did the author run out of exciting river verbs? I don’t think I’ve ever seen “pulsating” used in such a way, lol.

From the article… “The pulsating new space will provide an opportunity to further leverage existing investments in the area.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

It’s very exciting to imagine how different that land surrounding COSI will look in 10 years.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Two quick photo updates from this chilly, chilly day:

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I took a few shots of the river this evening. It’s definitely coming along and I know they were supposed to add riffles to the river, but this looks a bit off in my opinion. The river is smooth and then suddenly it hits a class 2 rapid just before the Town Street bridge. It looks better from further away, but I wouldn’t quite call this the natural look. Hopefully they’re not quite down with the “in-water” portion of reconstruction. It’s still surprising to me to see how much land has been opened up and how much better the water looks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It looks like they did not remove the dam all the way down, and there’s still a line of roots which appear to be a significant boating hazard.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Alex this was just a bit north of the Town/Rich Street Bridge, so further north than the old main street dam. It looks more like they dumped a bunch of rocks in the water. It’s a neat effect I just wish they just would have eased into it a bit more rather than just having a straight line. Although, I imagine eventually the river will move things around on it’s own.

columbusmike
    Participant

Scioto Greenways website:

“FEB. 2015 THROUGH APRIL 2015
    At this point in the construction schedule, shared bike and pedestrian paths will be constructed. Electric and irrigation systems will also be installed throughout the Greenways.”

Hmmmm….a bit behind. Probably due to the bad winter. I imagine we’ll see lots of activity this spring as they play catch up.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 295 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: