Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Peninsula Development - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Peninsula Development – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 247 total)
  • Author

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

cbustransit said:
    one of my friends came up with this plan a couple years ago–something trafalger square like

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8346/8215088123_e4808f1fa1_h.jpg

That plan looks sick! If they made that into a nice square with some retail and restaurants with COSI to the East…. damn.

ehill27
    Participant

Walker said:
    I did share my input via the public survey that everyone can submit to:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SciotoPeninsula

These survey questions seemed to lead you to the answers they wanted.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Walker,

We’ve certainly brought people to the other side of the river, but there’s a single business anchoring that activity.

As someone you probably ran past while I ran more slowly (or walked…or crawled) along the riverfront, I certainly agree that a great deal of improvement has been made in bringing life to the night along the river.

But you surely agree that there is a long way to go. Along the Scioto Mile stretch, there are no businesses to frequent, and no riverfront residential properties to facilitate more than recreational use of the riverfront. What we’ve got right now is a great start. What you’ve suggested for across the river is a great start. I only suggest that more can and should be done.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ehill27 said:
    These survey questions seemed to lead you to the answers they wanted.

I attended the public meeting and the planners provided a framework for the discussion, but said they were open to all ideas, suggestions and input. I believe the survey questions adhere to that framework.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MichaelC said:
    But you surely agree that there is a long way to go. Along the Scioto Mile stretch, there are no businesses to frequent, and no riverfront residential properties to facilitate more than recreational use of the riverfront. What we’ve got right now is a great start. What you’ve suggested for across the river is a great start. I only suggest that more can and should be done.

I totally agree. I’ve said before that I preferred the Arts Festival at CCAD rather than on the Riverfront, as the Riverfront is mostly lined with government buildings that are closed at night and on weekends, providing zero interactivity or draw. I don’t think that adding residences directly on the river is necessary, but adding them within close proximity (like The Annex, the new LC building, Commons Apartments, etc) is a very good idea to bring people down on a regular basis.

Otherwise, additional restaurants, entertainment venues and event programming can be added along both sides of the river to draw people out to enjoy it.

I think we’re moving in the right direction. ;)

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Absolutely.

I’ll be curious to see what develops out of the Columbia Gas building once it is vacated for its new perch in the AD.

As to the original topic, COSI makes it difficult to add business/retail along the riverfront itself, but what unique waterfront business(es) could you foresee fitting in with the surrounding neighborhood and within the confines of Columbus’ climate/Scioto River resources?

cbustransit
    Participant

Pickerington_Kyle said:
    That plan looks sick! If they made that into a nice square with some retail and restaurants with COSI to the East…. damn.

It’s clearly got some issues—the blocks are weird and it would require all new roads, but definitely got some potential. i’ll pass along the good review tho :)

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Any parking garage built on the peninsula should be flanked by residential, office or retail and hidden from public view, with good signage of course. If this is going to be an extension of downtown, then it should be planned and built as densely as possible with a similar street grid, small blocks and buildings taller than those found in the AD.

Please, no more brick boxes. Give the neighborhood its own identity.

Broad Street road diet.

I would like the neighborhood to become a national case study for green development. I still consider the potential of the “315 Tech Corridor” proposed a while back. Similar industries outlined in that report should be targeted.

A rail line from Children’s to Riverside is still totally feasible. The peninsula must be developed correctly to adhere to that plan, whether it is set in stone or not. You never know if and when it will be back on the table.

I always thought that a new, nationally recognized monument should be located near the riverfront on the peninsula, in lieu of or in addtition to the proposed “nuclear tower”, but much, much bigger. (Think St. Louis arch or Seattle space needle)

A conncection with North Bank Park should be established with a highly recognizable and one-of-a-kind bridge. It would be cool to having seating on the bridge that overlooks the river and downtown. How many pedestrian bridges have the feature.

The railroads could use a good coat of paint to ease the transition from both sides.

I like the idea of a hotel. Build it next to the river east of Vets so allow for views of the city and infuse some life into the riverfront north of Broad St.

I’m not a fan of displacing residents but it’s really hard to avoid sometimes. I am a big fan of mandating a 10-20% inclusion of affordable/income based housing into new large developments. The service workers that many patrons depend on should not have to take two or three bus transfers to get to work and I don’t want to see another yuppieville full of “luxury” housing.

Battelle Riverfront Park, although on the other side of the river, could use a good bulldozing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow said:
    I’m not a fan of displacing residents but it’s really hard to avoid sometimes.

Not with this project! Absolutely no one lives in this area. ;)

2012 Population: Zero!

cbustransit
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    Battelle Riverfront Park, although on the other side of the river, could use a good bulldozing.

+10 billion

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jpizzow said:

That looks like it could already be in the works according to the renderings of the Greenways project…

Scioto River Greenway Plan Moving Forward

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker, why not locate your transit station in the middle of the rail tracks (where spaghetti warehouse is)? I always thought the space between those tracks could be a great multi-purpose field house for convention events or residents. Then, when a rail station is needed, we’d have a large, public structure in place.

geoyui
    Participant

jpizzow said:

Please, no more brick boxes. Give the neighborhood its own identity.

+ a billion

heresthecasey
    Participant

1 PM, Tomorrow!

Plan for Veterans Memorial, COSI area to be unveiled
    By Josh Jarman, The Columbus Dispatch
    Monday August 12, 2013 6:12 PM

Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman, the Franklin County commissioners and other local officials will unveil planned changes to the area around COSI and Veterans Memorial at a news conference to be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

The announcement comes more than a year after county and city officials charged the Columbus Downtown Development Corp. with creating a long-term redevelopment plan for East Franklinton.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/public/2013/08/12/Vets_Memorial_announcement.html

jbcmh81
    Participant

heresthecasey said:
    1 PM, Tomorrow!

Plan for Veterans Memorial, COSI area to be unveiled
    By Josh Jarman, The Columbus Dispatch
    Monday August 12, 2013 6:12 PM

Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman, the Franklin County commissioners and other local officials will unveil planned changes to the area around COSI and Veterans Memorial at a news conference to be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

The announcement comes more than a year after county and city officials charged the Columbus Downtown Development Corp. with creating a long-term redevelopment plan for East Franklinton.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/public/2013/08/12/Vets_Memorial_announcement.html

I really want this to be an awesome plan… but I also have this feeling I’m going to be at least somewhat disappointed.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 247 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE