Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Peninsula Development - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Peninsula Development – News & Updates

This topic contains 246 replies, has 71 voices, and was last updated by  WJT 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 247 total)
  • Author
    Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I like Walker’s idea. Now to get them (the government) on board with that.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

This area has so much damn potential…

We can finally get our downtown bowling alley!

Question: What schools would public school students funnel into?

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Columbus Public ^^

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

MichaelC said:
    Question: What schools would public school students funnel into?

According to the boundary maps on http://www.columbus.k12.oh.us:

West Mound Elementary
    Starling Middle School
    West High School

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

You can submit ideas about the Scioto Peninsula online via this survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SciotoPeninsula

Though I was informed last night at the meeting that folks at CDDC are reading the comments here on CU and taking them into account too. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

My version of what the master plan should look like. ;)

(click to enlarge)

RellekOTE
    Participant

Perfect!!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just a few misc notes:

• I think the existing bike/walking path along the riverfront is great as is, but could be enhanced with bridge crossings on the north and south ends of the peninsula, connecting Vets to North Bank Park, and the “faux urban beach” area to the Whittier Peninsula.

• Broad Street needs a road diet! Two lanes in each direction. Metered parking for retail. And additional pedestrian crossings between Belle and the Riverfront.

• There are some really great trees throughout the site, but particularly in the triangle between Belle, Washington and Town. Preserve as many of them as possible when developing and it will will give the area an older/historic feel rather than having new tiny saplings to line the sidewalks. And provide some much needed canopy shade during the hot summers.

• The scale of the buildings here should have more in common with Downtown and less in common with East Franklinton. There’s a rare opportunity here to build out a second half of Downtown in a way that might not be possible on any other large chunk of land. The river should feel as if it runs through the middle of our city with tall buildings on both sides of it.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    My version of what the master plan should look like. ;)

(click to enlarge)

I’d hit that… Two criticisms, though… I don’t think the area needs 4 parking garages and I would add some kind of entertainment venue.

That said, in reality we’ll probably get a very underwhelming, low-rise residential/office development with plenty of surface parking and certainly no transit station.

CbusIslander
    Participant

Good plan Walker.

Couple edits from me would be to take the two Cosi garages and make into office like a doughnut with a garage in the middle of the block. Take the closest office blue near the maroon and created an residential tower to bookend with minerva. Take the transit stations and make them parking garages. We can convert them later when political forces allow for “other” transportation options.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    I’d hit that… Two criticisms, though… I don’t think the area needs 4 parking garages and I would add some kind of entertainment venue.

1. There’s currently maybe six parking garages (some of them quite huge) in the Arena District and a handful of surface lots (though they’re disappearing. COSI will need dedicated parking, residents will need dedicated parking, Vet’s Memorial will need dedicated parking and any offices will need dedicated parking. I propose placing them in strategic locations where they can serve multiple purposes and mask them with as much ground floor retail as possible. Parking garages are completely necessary, and can be masked into the neighborhood without detracting from it.

2. Vets Memorial and COSI are both entertainment venues, as is Genoa Park during the summer with multiple festivals taking place there. Additionally, my definition of “retail” includes bars, restaurants, art galleries and other types of spaces where events can be held.

jbcmh81 said:
    That said, in reality we’ll probably get a very underwhelming, low-rise residential/office development with plenty of surface parking and certainly no transit station.

Why do you say that? These types of master planning efforts have yielded some positive results in the past few years. I don’t think we’re going to see a collection of twenty 50-story towers on this peninsula, but I do think a solid mix of four to eight story buildings with a couple of 12+ story towers isn’t out of the question. That’s essentially what the Arena District has become, and it’s a great addition to the urban landscape of Columbus.

CbusIslander
    Participant

Another edit would be to move vets garage off broad and back to the surface wedge (not colored in your map) Covert the proposed Vets garage into another “museum” as another destination and could utilize vets with temporary exhibits during “off” times. Yes this area does need to resemble Arena District “plus” as far as density.

Pickerington_Kyle
    Participant

I really like your idea, but I think it would be great to have a light rail go west on Broad and then south on Starling Street, and over either Rich or Main street bridge.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

@walker: have you shown the city council your ideas or such? It could be beneficial.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CalebR said:
    @walker: have you shown the city council your ideas or such? It could be beneficial.

No, showing it to City Council doesn’t really matter at this point. I did share my input via the public survey that everyone can submit to:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SciotoPeninsula

I also emailed them to several folks at CDDC and MKSK for consideration.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 247 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.