Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Peninsula Development - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Peninsula Development – News & Updates

This topic contains 246 replies, has 71 voices, and was last updated by  WJT 2 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 247 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cbustransit wrote >>
    BUT, MSI did a poor job in putting this together. The park in the center will continue to be underutilized space. It is uninteresting and bleak. Even surrounded by buildings, no one will use it.

You think the park will be unused even if it’s surrounded completely by dense residential development as the plan states?

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

@cbustransit: Those renderings were merely a rough idea. I highly doubt that anything built over there will look anything like the renderings. Although I would love to see some highrises.

@walker: Good points about the park and the call for national developers and architects. I think many of our top developers in central Ohio lack the confidence in this market as well as the ability (funds) to build something of such scale as this. The city should do some homework and find some of the best green builders out there. It’s not an uncommon thing to do. Investors will build here if we can convince them that it’s worth their while.

cbustransit
    Participant

@walker: Ya, I don’t think it will be well-used if its poorly designed space. Do you want to hang out on the beautiful open green space that lines our highways for instance? I am not saying all of the parks in this design will be unused. I think the riverfront park would be fantastically used. But the space in the center of the peninsula, the area between the office buildings, that space will only be utilized at certain times by a select few people. We should prioritize one awesome green space and densely build out the rest of it.

@jpizzow: True enough, but if we are planning, we should say what our priorities are.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some interesting additional details on this development…

From here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/planning-downtown-with-msi-design-part-3

Keith Myers: IOnce the market turns around, there’s really no reason the City can’t go out immediately for RFPs because they already own all the land.

Andrew Overbeck: Yeah, that’s really the unique thing. It’s sometimes so hard to aggregate land Downtown from so many different land owners, but here that’s already been done.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/01/02/copy/bridge-gets-extra-time-helping-scioto-mile.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Bridge gets extra time, helping Scioto Mile
    Construction of a second bridge connecting Downtown and Franklinton won’t get in the way of next summer’s opening of the Scioto Mile, state officials promise.

But to get everything finished on the east side of the Scioto River by June 1, 71/2 months have been added to the timetable for the rest of the bridge project.

The Ohio Department of Transportation’s latest update on construction of the Rich Street bridge shows the project within $29,000 of its original construction budget.

What kind of affect will these new bridge openings and completion of the Scioto Mile have on development of the Scioto Peninsula? Will it finally be time for some action to be taken?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I saw this Dispatch item about local businesses and sustainability

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/01/03/Small-business-owners-to-discuss-sustainability.html?sid=101

So I searched CU for “sustainability” and found this thread from 3 years ago

Central Ohio Summit on Sustainability and the Environment In

Those ideas sound great, but I wonder how many will be applied when this area is developed. For example, it’s nice if rooftops replace vacant pavement, but is anyone going to design for capturing and using roof runoff? Or will it just shoot straight into the storm, err, combined sewers? I don’t see a “green roof” in those rederings, either, though maybe I’m misinterpreting them.

+1 on not needing more plazas that people look at through vehicle windows, the streets themselves should be the destinations. Imagine something walkable like the short north, but with more shade and without the burden of through traffic on High Street.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Planning Begins for Redevelopment of Scioto Peninsula
    By: Walker

The Scioto Peninsula is a 56 acre piece of land located in Franklinton immediately west of the Scioto River, which has long been underutilized. This land is currently home to both COSI and Veteran’s Memorial as well as a massive sea of surface parking lot space. All land is owned by either The City of Columbus or Franklin County, making for a unique opportunity for urban redevelopment.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/planning-begins-for-redevelopment-of-scioto-peninsula

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Thank God. I hope we get some more modern mid/high rises on the Peninsula.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

a massive sea of surface parking lot space.

For one inch of rain, each square foot yields .6 gallons of runoff. The numbers add up really fast.

columbusmike
    Participant

CalebR said:
    Thank God. I hope we get some more modern mid/high rises on the Peninsula.

This land is PERFECT for mid/high rise development. The views of downtown from here are spectacular. If I was a developer, I’d hop on this opportunity.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I just emailed The Crew about if they’ve ever looked at the Peninsula as a new home. Id would be awesome if they moved. And its help the fairgrounds expand to become even bigger.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

The issue with the Peninsula is basically it sits between RR tracks and two auto dependent attractions. Not saying it couldn’t work, but the right development would have to make a pretty big splash to change the attitude of the area – unless a great plan comes out that is very people oriented.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

Most of the parking lots would be gone and actually the Peninsula is defined by the railroad tracks and everything east until it meets the Scioto River.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

columbusmike said:
    This land is PERFECT for mid/high rise development. The views of downtown from here are spectacular. If I was a developer, I’d hop on this opportunity.

56 acres is a big chunk of land.

I’d be interested to see what the area could look like if divided into 6 to 8 individual parcels that could be sold off to individual developers. Would probably be more likely to get something that doesn’t feel as monolithic as NRI’s Arena District and maybe a bit more unique.

With Carter buying 2 acres of The Commons for three 6-story 300-unit apartments, imagine what they could do if given 8 acres, Wagenbrenner gets 8, NRI gets 8, Edwards gets 8, Casto gets 8, Pizzuti gets 8… and so on…

Pablo
    Participant

Walker said:
    56 acres is a big chunk of land.

I’d be interested to see what the area could look like if divided into 6 to 8 individual parcels that could be sold off to individual developers. Would probably be more likely to get something that doesn’t feel as monolithic as NRI’s Arena District and maybe a bit more unique.

With Carter buying 2 acres of The Commons for three 6-story 300-unit apartments, imagine what they could do if given 8 acres, Wagenbrenner gets 8, NRI gets 8, Edwards gets 8, Casto gets 8, Pizzuti gets 8… and so on…

Great idea! If it’s split up like that, I would imagine you would get a pretty organic looking neighborhood, especially if each developer used a different architect. It would look like it evolved over time rather than like a development that was lowered into place from space. Better yet, what if each 8 acre chunk wasn’t contiguous?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 247 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

subscribe_email Get Columbus News Updates in Your Inbox!

Stay in the know! Enter your email address to subscribe to the latest news: