Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Peninsula Development - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Peninsula Development – News & Updates

This topic contains 246 replies, has 71 voices, and was last updated by  WJT 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 247 total)
  • Author
    Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

What I want to know is what is going on with the Vets Memorial replacement. When they were demolishing the old building they said the flood wall had been integrated into the old building’s foundation so it would take until the fall to replace that section of the flood wall so new construction could begin.

Well it’s fall now and the site is completely empty. I’m not sure how long it’s been since I last saw workers there.

JAL
    Participant

WJT
    Participant

Article about the planned Green Space above underground parking in front of COSI

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2016/02/18/exclusive620-slot-underground-parking-garage-green.html

http://www.sciotopeninsula.com/news/Request-for-Qualifications–Scioto-Peninsula-Garage-and-Park/66

I am just so happy to see this. This is going to be such a great thing. I really hope that with the tree-lined drive closer to the building and parallel to Belle, they keep as many trees as possible. They are getting large enough that they would provide a sort of shady promenade during the summer.

If having this park does not kickstart development across the street, then nothing will.

JMan
    Participant

How much longer before we break ground on the new Vets Museum I wonder.

ohbr
    Participant

How much longer before we break ground on the new Vets Museum I wonder.

They discovered the foundation of old Vets was directly integrated into the support of the flood wall which meant they have to go through a lot more hoops and significant engineering to protect the flood wall and the Army Corps of Engineer approvals when they remove(d) the foundation. Maybe someone else can confirm, but last I knew, they simply razed the building but haven’t touched the foundation pending additional plans. They haven’t been very communicative since the original discovery about a year ago when they announced the project would be delayed. If the foundation has already been removed then I assume we’d be in the clear for a spring start.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

If having this park does not kickstart development across the street, then nothing will.

Across which street?

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>

Across which street?

All of them (Broad (north side), Town (south side), Belle (west side))

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Posole wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div><br>

Across which street?

All of them (Broad (north side), Town (south side), Belle (west side))

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>WJT wrote:</div>

Across which street?

I was specifically thinking of across Belle, fronting a park and with the skyline right there, but yes all of them really to an extent. I just think particularly on the west side of Belle facing the park and the skyline. If there was ever a place for a highrise with a skyline view, the Scioto Peninsula is it.

Lu
    Participant

I wonder if some sort of public pathway can be created through COSI that would allow people to pass through from the new park to the river. Perhaps reconfigure the lobby and allow people to cut through without paying admission?

JAL
    Participant

You can see what the original plan was for the park in this image

null

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I wonder if some sort of public pathway can be created through COSI that would allow people to pass through from the new park to the river. Perhaps reconfigure the lobby and allow people to cut through without paying admission?

Or… just walk around? It’s not THAT far.

Pablo
    Participant

That’s a good idea – the Ohio Union on campus was designed to allow people to cut through the building from 13th and High to the South Oval. With COSI there’s a problem of grade change and any public cut through would need to be ADA accessible meaning an elevator would need to be added.

Lu
    Participant

Or… just walk around? It’s not THAT far.

Are you kidding? The building is a monstrosity. It’s a windowless wall two-blocks long that turns its back on Franklinton and and separates it from the river and downtown.

A passthrough would mitigate some of the problem by allowing people to pass easily between activity in the new park and activity by the river. Maybe check out a couple of exhibits on the way. :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Are you kidding? The building is a monstrosity. It’s a windowless wall two-blocks long that turns its back on Franklinton and and separates it from the river and downtown.

Sure. But it takes five minutes to walk around. Which seems achievable if my goal is to go for a pleasant stroll in the park.

A multi-million dollar project to cut COSI open to remove a five minute stroll for park-walkers doesn’t seem like a good use of money IMHO.

Lu
    Participant

A multi-million dollar project to cut COSI open to remove a five minute stroll for park-walkers doesn’t seem like a good use of money IMHO.

Compared to the cost of burying a parking lot, the cost to reconfigure a lobby may be negligible.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 247 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.