Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Scioto Peninsula Development - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Scioto Peninsula Development – News & Updates

This topic contains 246 replies, has 71 voices, and was last updated by  WJT 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 247 total)
  • Author

Graybeak
    Participant

Lu said:

2. The design of COSI is such a shame – it serves as a massive concrete wall standing between the planned apartments and the waterfront. Is there any way to create a pedestrian path through the center of the museum that would allow people to cut through from the new park to the Scioto?

If you are walking to the park, is the extra 5 minutes to walk around really going to keep you from visiting the park?
    The building was built in 1924, and they added some stuff onto it in 1999, I think. But I don’t think they should cut a hole through the middle of what will be a 100 year old building when this project is likely to be finished.

TomB
    Participant

Lu said:
    I think this plan looks great and is a truly exciting development for downtown. The amphitheater is striking and could be a great outdoor venue. That said, I have a couple of suggestions:

1. I agree that the plaza between the amphitheater and Broad looks like something straight out of the 70’s. Huge, hardscape plazas like that never age well. Why is the amphitheater set back so far from Broad? If it were up against the street, it could really add to the urban feel of the area, like Philly’s Kimmel Center[

Yes, plazas in front of skyscrapers have not aged well. However, Columbus has always lacked a grand civic and public gathering space befitting a large capital city, apart from the statehouse grounds. The sense of repose at the new Veterans Memorial set against the river and skyline is stunning.

2. The design of COSI is such a shame – it serves as a massive concrete wall standing between the planned apartments and the waterfront. Is there any way to create a pedestrian path through the center of the museum that would allow people to cut through from the new park to the Scioto?

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

I agree that COSI’s design pretty much turns its back to Franklinton. I helped design the rain garden on that side, but there’s a lot of blank wall facing west.

Pablo
    Participant

I don’t think Lu was suggesting that COSI be literally cut in half. The thought was to grant non-COSI visitors passage through the center of the building as a shortcut between the two parks.

rory
    Participant

Walker said:
    Don’t all city parks “close” at sundown except for special events?

There used to be a night fishing exemption but there was a movement to outlaw that a couple years ago. I’m not sure if it passed City Council or not.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

The guys on the fishing board report fishing through the night in the parks.

IIRC the ban applies to park ponds like Westgate, but not the streams.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Walker said:
    Don’t all city parks “close” at sundown except for special events?

Nope.

http://www.columbuscommons.org/visit/park-rules/

To visit the park during the hours posted (7 a.m. – 11 p.m.)

buckette13

This will help East Franklinton a lot. I am really glad to see this, but hope the Hilltop and Westside eventually gets more love.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    This will help East Franklinton a lot. I am really glad to see this, but hope the Hilltop and Westside eventually gets more love.

I think, to an extent, bettering surrounding areas is one of the best things that can happen. Italian Village was buoyed by the rise of Victorian Village, Merion Village by the rise of German Village, King Lincoln by the rise of OTE, etc.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Coremodels said:
    Nope.

http://www.columbuscommons.org/visit/park-rules/

To visit the park during the hours posted (7 a.m. – 11 p.m.)

As mentioned, Columbus Commons isn’t really a city park. I was referring to actual city parks. I couldn’t find anything quickly online but seem to recall seeing signage at some city parks that say the parks close at sundown. But perhaps my memory is fuzzy.

Graybeak
    Participant

Pablo said:
    I don’t think Lu was suggesting that COSI be literally cut in half. The thought was to grant non-COSI visitors passage through the center of the building as a shortcut between the two parks.

Well short of this, I don’t know how else you would get people through the middle of the building.

futureman
    Participant

I think the zoo attraction should focus on one thing, the space is far too small to be a mini zoo. I’d suggest going with an aquarium as Franklin Park has tropics covered for the central city.

This spring I went to the National Aviary in Pittsburgh for a wedding. It’s of a similar size, around 40,000sf (vs 50,000 for this). Defiantly small, but because it only focuses on birds and being an event space it works well.

http://www.aviary.org/

InnerCore
    Participant

honestlyinsincere said:
    Fair point, Walker. If CDDC had that level of involvement in both projects, they should get credit where credit is due. However, they should never have made the mistake they did with Highpoint (and I am under the impression they were very much involved in the final product design). I went down there tonight to look at the progress and take a closer look at the buildings and I am more convinced than ever that these buildings are simply not good architecture. The scale, materials, window size and rhythm are poorly conceived. The buildings relationship to the site is weak at best. Even a security guard near the site commented to me as I was looking at the building “Yeah, they look a rushed job to me. It’s like you have to stick your head out a small window to see what is going outside like a prison.” No kidding, that is what the bike security guy said!

Aesthetically it could have been better, but you criticism seem to sound more like someone whinning and making it bigger than what it is. To say that High point is the worst thing being build is just ridiculous. Functionally High Point is the same as 250, BOTH of which are huge step forward for Columbus. True mixed use buildings that provide interaction on the street level. I mean complaining about the size of windows seems like non sense. If you want bigger windows then don’t live there.

Downtown is seriously behind when it comes to offering up options for people to live/work/play, especially in this area. And it’s not like developers are buying up every lot and rushing to build in downtown Columbus. The CDDC’s goal should be to get solid functioning development downtown, not arguing over the “rhythm”.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Walker said:
    As mentioned, Columbus Commons isn’t really a city park. I was referring to actual city parks. I couldn’t find anything quickly online but seem to recall seeing signage at some city parks that say the parks close at sundown. But perhaps my memory is fuzzy.

I think there’s a sign at Schiller to that effect, but no one really follows it.

geoyui
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Well short of this, I don’t know how else you would get people through the middle of the building.

I think the lobby area would need a major redesign and a change in exhibit locations that affect foot traffic. I believe MOMA in NYC has a front and back entrance that allows for people to cut thru.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 247 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.