Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #10 - Pedestrian/Bike Bridge

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #10 – Pedestrian/Bike Bridge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pedestrian Bridge Connecting the Arena District to the Scioto Peninsula
    Main CU Feature: 12 Ideas Laid Out for Downtown 2010 Strategic Plan

Activity centers are often times not well-linked throughout Downtown Columbus. Such is the case with the Arena District and COSI. To better link these two important draws in Downtown, a pedestrian bridge could be built across the Scioto River. While the exact location still needs to be determined, this bridge would allow for pedestrians and bicyclists to easily and quickly access activity centers on both sides of the river. This bridge also provides an opportunity to enhance Downtown’s skyline by creating a unique, iconic structure.

MORE HERE: http://www.downtowncolumbus.com/plan/pedestrian-bridge

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

daily i watch 2 bridges being built from my office window across the river. One seems to be almost done and has, what appears to be, a pedestrian bridge attached to the automobile bridge. I think these bridges are for Main St (?) and Town? I have no idea. But I assume this is referring to an altogether new bridge??

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

well, i have answered my own question by simply looking at the plans on the Columbus website. it will span from Vets Memorial in an arc to North Bank Park. very cool.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, the rendering in the first post shows it as a curved white bridge that would link up to existing bike paths and cross underneath the existing rail bridge.

gk

This makes a lot of sense and should have been done years ago. Vets’ Memorial is currently in the planning stages for redevelopment of this site and would benefit greatly by connecting it to the AD.

futureman
    Participant

Hmmm, I’m kinda mixed on this one. I do love our bike trails and use them several times a week but I have a hard time 100% agreeing with this bridge.

Every time time I go past the bridge on the Olentangy trail next to 315 and see that new ridiculous bridge I shake my head. They could’ve done sooo much more with money if they just went with something simple, like what the Alum Creek trail has – simple prefabricated steel structure.

However, I do see the point about linking Vets to the Arena district. It would be a long walk from Vets to the AD and this would greatly shorten it.

From a bike trail only perspective I think it’s a waste, from a development perspective it makes sense.

colrex7

The idea of a modern bridge with very cool lighting at night spanning the river sounds awesome. And it would even look cooler right next to the old steel railroad bridge! Talk about a cool effect! :D

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE