Our City Online

Messageboard - Classifieds

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dog Friendly Rentals??

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Classifieds Dog Friendly Rentals??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

shadowfaerie

My husband and I are looking for a place to rent in the central Columbus area: German Village, Brewery District, Short North, Victorian Village, Grandview, Clintonville. However, we’re finding it extremely difficult to find a nice place that allows dogs. We have two small dogs and there has even been several landlords/owners that allow small pets but limit that to one dog, which I find ridiculous. I never realized how dog-UNfriendly Columbus was until we started looking for a place to rent.

We’ve been searching Metro Rentals and Craigslist, and I’ve been doing the driving around looking for signs thing a couple times. We’re even offering people more money! We’re attempting to stay away from apartment complexes and the suburbs, but we’re thinking we’ll have no other choice. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas or leads.

Thanks!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

German Village, Brewery District, Merion Village, and OTE seem to be MUCH dog friendlier than the Short North, Victorian Village, and Italian Village (and even Grandview).

shadowfaerie

I’d disagree with German Village being dog friendly.. at least for rentals. Probably 95% of the rentals I looked at in German Village don’t allow dogs. I think all the people who are walking their dogs in German Village must own their home. :)

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

shadowfaerie said:
    I’d disagree with German Village being dog friendly.. at least for rentals. Probably 95% of the rentals I looked at in German Village don’t allow dogs. I think all the people who are walking their dogs in German Village must own their home. :)

I’ve rented half a dozen places in GV over the last 20 years, all with a dog.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/4012670392.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/4011821909.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/4010012226.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/4005394668.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/4005756709.html

http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/3986750913.html

shadowfaerie

A good price that allows dogs in German Village is pretty effin’ competitive. We’re actually waiting to hear from a couple of those. One of them we already looked at with a dozen other prospective tenants and it was held together with that Great Stuff insulating foam sealant and the current tenants seemed to be battling a bug issue. The one that says ‘small pet friendly’ only allows one dog. Others who say they will “consider” pets seem put off by more than one dog for some odd reason.

Thanks for your help though!

DavidF
    Participant

shadowfaerie said:
    A good price that allows dogs in German Village is pretty effin’ competitive. We’re actually waiting to hear from a couple of those. One of them we already looked at with a dozen other prospective tenants and it was held together with that Great Stuff insulating foam sealant and the current tenants seemed to be battling a bug issue. The one that says ‘small pet friendly’ only allows one dog. Others who say they will “consider” pets seem put off by more than one dog for some odd reason.

Thanks for your help though!

That’s a shame. I rented 3 different places in GV over 10 years and all were pet friendly.

shadowfaerie

DavidF said:
    That’s a shame. I rented 3 different places in GV over 10 years and all were pet friendly.

I would assume it’s because of the change in the housing market. Renting is becoming more competitive.. especially this time of year. We’re not giving up! :)

lifeliberty
    Participant

I worry about the same thing. I’m going to put my house on the market again and finding an affordable place that accepts a dog can be a pain. Good luck

shadowfaerie

lifeliberty said:
    I worry about the same thing. I’m going to put my house on the market again and finding an affordable place that accepts a dog can be a pain. Good luck

Thank you! Good luck to you too! If you only have one dog, you’re in a better position than us. If you include apartment complexes in your search, you have a few more options. But you may have to lower your budget to accommodate a monthly pet rent that is going as high as $50 per month per pet in some places. I often wonder why they don’t charge a monthly fee for kids too…

shadowfaerie

Just for an example… one response we received from a place in downtown Old Hilliard said they allow cats only but may “entertain” the possibility of one small dog. It would be an additional $50 a month and required carpet cleaning every six months and upon leaving. After all that, they then said they’ll still prioritize non-pet tenants over those with pets.

We’ve had quite a few people be condescending towards us just for asking. I would rather they keep their responses short and simple and say “no dogs”, and we’ll all move on! Yeesh.

lifeliberty
    Participant

also try old north columbus and harrison west(i think it’s west anyways), I’ll be looking for houses or duplexes, no complexes. I did it before with a dane, just have to get kinda lucky and find a private owner.

shadowfaerie

lifeliberty said:
    also try old north columbus and harrison west(i think it’s west anyways), I’ll be looking for houses or duplexes, no complexes. I did it before with a dane, just have to get kinda lucky and find a private owner.

Yeah, we’ve been checking those areas as well. We’re basically hounding (no pun intended!) everyone in the central area of Columbus. My husband had a Dane when we first met. Awesome dogs!

lifeliberty
    Participant

You should check out the entire area between 71 and the Olentangy River, with East North Broadway to the north and Husdon to the south. lots of dogs west of high street in that area. there are even some nice places south of hudson too. North campus isn’t too bad really.

shadowfaerie

lifeliberty said:
    You should check out the entire area between 71 and the Olentangy River, with East North Broadway to the north and Husdon to the south. lots of dogs west of high street in that area. there are even some nice places south of hudson too. North campus isn’t too bad really.

We’ve come across a couple places in that area. Will check into it more though. Thanks for the tip!

shadowfaerie

We’ve come across an awesome space for rent in a house in KLD/OTE. We’re not too familiar with what it’s like to live there.. our only concern is that the area can be a bit sketchy in parts from what I’ve read and the crime heat map. This particular place is on N. Miami right off Broad. Any insight would be appreciated!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Classifieds’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: