Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Do you want to drink bloody marys before 1pm on Sundays?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Do you want to drink bloody marys before 1pm on Sundays?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Hi Sunday Drinkers,

Here’s a cool way to get more tax revenue into the state:

The Ohio Restaurant Association is trying to pass legislation in the Ohio General Assembly that will allow Ohio restaurants and bars to serve alcohol (wine and high proof spirits) at 11am instead of 1pm on Sundays. This will allow mimosas and bloody marys two hours earlier! Currently the state law allows for beer but not wine or spirits before 1pm on Sundays.

For years, the Ohio Restaurant Association has sought to change the law to allow their members to sell wine and spirits beginning at 11:00 am on Sundays rather than 1:00 pm. We can all appreciate this during football season or during Sunday brunch with the family!

The ORA was successful in getting this language added to the state budget (HB 1), which passed the House 2 weeks ago. Their task now is to make sure the Senate leaves it in the bill.

This change is good for Ohio consumers and will benefit the state with increased tax revenue. If you work in the industry or support the industry or Sunday drinking in general, we urge you to contact your state senator.

If you don’t know who your state senator is, or need the Capitol office phone number for your senator, click the link below to get the information you need:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/

The Ohio Restaurant Association is also lobbying against SB 62 and HB 137, which would prohibit the transfer of a liquor permit if a business is located within 500 feet of a school, library, church, etc.

Please pass this info on to all your friends in the restaurant industry, the second largest private sector employer in the state!

Thanks,

Elizabeth Lessner

[email protected]

Daz
    Participant

One of the dumbest laws in this state. I don’t even understand how/why it exists.

It’s like they hate brunch.

A letter will be sent.

HeySquare
    Participant

Make sure to nickname it the Bloody Mary Bill… :). I approve, and will write my legislators.

Daz
    Participant

I, honestly, would LOVE somebody to give me a rational explanation why I can’t walk into a restaurant and have a mimosa with brunch at noon, but I can walk into UDF and buy a 40 at 7 am.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Most frustrating for restaurants is that hotels, sports stadiums and airports can serve earlier. Tip Top can’t serve a bloody mary before 1pm but you can get one next door at the hotel or over at the Arena or Huntington Park. It isn’t a fair playing field for restaurants and bars.

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Done – you can go on Sherrod Brown’s website and fill in a form[/url].
    I couldn’t really work out what category it fit into though – i picked taxes.

JonMyers
    Participant

Funny we’re still living with prohibition era liquor laws. Loosening these laws certainly wouldn’t hurt our attract and retain efforts.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

hungrywolf – Sherrod Brown is your FEDERAL, US Senator. this is a state govt issue.

Carl and I will send a letter. We’ve always thought this was totally silly (and a pain). I had no idea that it didn’t apply to everyone. That’s just not fair. Upon passage, we’ll do our part to increase tax revenues on Sunday mornings ;)

god doesnt like to drink bloody marys before 1pm.

Bear
    Participant

Could we maybe get a law proposed that says that people over 21 can buy and drink whatever damn wine and liquor they want, whenever they want?

I mean, personally, I never feel the desire to drink anything alcoholic before mid-afternoon at the earliest. But it’s so… patronizing, y’know?

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

A Post in Which I Take the Piss out of Bear (by jiml2)

Bear is right–I want to drink beer in the car on the way to my elementary school teaching job (don’t worry I won’t drink beer on the job–after 7:15am it is Old Crow Whiskey time!).

michaelcoyote
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    A Post in Which I Take the Piss out of Bear (by jiml2)
    Bear is right–I want to drink beer in the car on the way to my elementary school teaching job (don’t worry I won’t drink beer on the job–after 7:15am it is Old Crow Whiskey time!).

Did you bring enough for everyone Jim?

you have to share!!!!

Mercurius
    Participant

Bear wrote >>
    Could we maybe get a law proposed that says that people over 21 can buy and drink whatever damn wine and liquor they want, whenever they want?
    I mean, personally, I never feel the desire to drink anything alcoholic before mid-afternoon at the earliest. But it’s so… patronizing, y’know?

I’m trying to make Mr. Hall induce a change in the wine laws in Ohio later this year. Bear and Liz, you’d be more then welcome to come and make your case too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: