Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Distracted Pedestrian Deaths on Rise in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Distracted Pedestrian Deaths on Rise in Ohio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Posted: 5:12 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 9, 2012

Even on foot, distractions dangerous, sometimes fatal

By Kyle Nagel

Staff Writer

Increases in pedestrian fatalities both nationally and in Ohio have experts concerned that distractions from mobile devices, music or alcohol are equally as dangerous for pedestrians as for drivers. Deaths of pedestrians in traffic crashes increased 4.2 percent (to 4,280) nationally and 9.4 percent (to 93) in Ohio in 2010, according to statistics released this week by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The exact number of crashes or fatalities involving distracted pedestrians is unknown because their activities are not always recorded, but the increase in devices available for use while walking or jogging has experts urging basic traffic safety.

READ MORE: http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/distracted-pedestrians-continue-to-concern-experts/nQFQy/

rus
    rus
    Participant

Hold up. People who don’t pay attention and wander into traffic are sometimes hit by cars?

Well. This changes everything.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Paging Dr. Darwin, Dr. Darwin

tdziemia
    Participant

Suicide by smartphone?

Interesting that the increase is greater in Ohio than nationally (I’m assuming the difference is statistically significant). I don’t think our drivers are more aggressive than the national average, so I’m going out on a limb and saying our pedestrians are even MORE distracted than the national average. Must be those football scandals and engrossing threads on CU that have ’em so thoroughly absorbed.

And maybe it’s just my upbringing, but I was taught that “equally as” was substandard usage … Strange to see it in a newspaper, but you see more and more mistakes like that in print (guess the editors expect spellcheck to pick up everything). Love pickin’ those nits.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

The quality of editing in print media has gone down the old water closet. Sometimes I’m so shocked by what people will print these days that I forget I’m stepping into a 4-way intersection and cause a 20-car pileup.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: