Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch Reporter Steve Wartenberg Struck by Car While Biking

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch Reporter Steve Wartenberg Struck by Car While Biking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author

dp

https://ext.dps.state.oh.us/CrashRetrieval/ViewCrashReport.aspx?redirectPage=ViewCrashReport.aspx&CrashId=5162306&ImageFileName=ECS-PSKJW201309252351459614.jpg&RequestFrom=ViewEfilePDF

Police report in reference to Bob Lennon’s death–Mary K. Paul as the driver, residing at Jerry Paul’s residence! The Dispatch has blocked me from posting in any of their comments, as clearly this stay at home mom does a better job reporting than their “seasoned” reporters!!

geoyui
    Participant

Maybe Bob Lennon’s death should be a separate thread?

myliftkk
    Participant

Sounds like muck ripe for the raking! :)

Why that “suspect” in Lennon’s hit-skip wasn’t arrested right off the bat is rather insane. They were more than empowered to hold the woman for x amount of time before either charging her or letting her go. Especially since she already confessed.

derm
    derm
    Participant

It is interesting to speculate on why it seems things were done differently in this case with a death involved. The dad of the driver has been a trustee for 29 years there and you would think would be amazingly connected locally. He actually is not up for election as the posters stated so it was not a “bury it until the election thing”.

Common for the system. A neighbor of mine is out on Felony bail for a pretty horrible crime. The parents are wealthy and they have hired lawyers including a local guy who is extremely politically connected in town who is not a criminal lawyer trying to get the problem massaged away. The only way justice is served in some cases is if people keep the problem in the light.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Extra sadness to kill someone on a road that has your family name on it.

M.O.
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Yup. Several commenters mentioned that she’d had another incident of hit & run, and that charges were never filed. Sounds like they have a serious problem up there in Delaware county.

Apparently the problem reaches right on down to the heart of Franklin County, long about 34 S. Third Street or so.

joev
    Participant

I am flabbergasted that the daughter of a township trustee (of a township I had never heard of until today) has so much clout that the major daily newspaper would be complicit in a coverup.

Pablo
    Participant

Twixlen
    Participant

M.O. said:
    Apparently the problem reaches right on down to the heart of Franklin County, long about 34 S. Third Street or so.

Uhn. Dirty. So dirty.

nextone

If anyone would want to go to the arraignment of Andrew Scott Inglis to show support for Steve Wartenberg the info is as follows: Date: 11/13/2013 Time: 10:00 am Judge: AR4C, COURTROOM 4C Location: 4C LOCATED ON THE 4TH FLOOR.

Edit: nevermind, this is for the OVI charge from last month, I will need to figure out when this charge will be arraigned.

byJody
    Participant

Regarding Bob Lennon:
    Special prosecutor says bicyclist’s death is ‘front-burner case’
    11/6/13
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/11/05/hit-skip-case-update.html

Twixlen
    Participant

Being white and connected beats being innocent any day.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Being white and connected beats being innocent any day.

My guess is that the delays are strictly because the prosecutors are up against a bevy of high priced lawyers in this one.

catnfiddle
    Participant

My hope is that things are being delayed to make sure the highest level of charges (mostly the distracted driving and speeding) can be proven and are airtight.

geoyui
    Participant

Steve Wartenberg’s account of the accident

I was struck from behind at about 11:45 a.m. by a driver later charged with driving under the influence.

I was smashed up literally from head to toe. I had a fractured skull and scalp lacerations that required more than 40 staples and stitches to reattach all the bloody flaps. I had a couple of facial fractures and my left eye was swollen shut. My jaw didn’t break, but was (and still is) bruised up pretty bad. I can’t open my mouth all the way and my teeth hurt. The straps on my helmet dug into my neck, creating a colorful red-and-purple band of bruise. I found scabs behind my ears, and think these also came from my helmet straps.

As for my helmet, it’s in pieces … and saved my life.

Tip: Never, ever ride without a helmet. Ever.

My left shoulder was broken, seven ribs on the left side were cracked, my left lung collapsed, and I suffered compression fractures of three vertebrae. My left hip was covered in road rash and my left ankle was broken.

It seems that after the car hit me, my bike and I started flying backwards, smashing into the hood, front windshield, the roof and then the rear windshield, breaking body (and bike) parts and denting the vehicle as we went.

The only injury to my right side was to my right foot, which is covered in scabs and bruises.

Seconds later, miraculous things started happening. People in cars stopped to call 911 and to take care of me. Someone else went after the driver and made him come back to the scene. I don’t remember any of this, but am convinced these heroes saved my life. One day I hope to thank each and every one of you in person. Until then: Thank you so much.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION