Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch Reporter Steve Wartenberg Struck by Car While Biking

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch Reporter Steve Wartenberg Struck by Car While Biking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Dispatch bike blogger, reporter struck by car

By Jim Woods and Kathy Lynn Gray

Sunday November 3, 2013 10:21 PM

A Columbus Dispatch business reporter and avid cyclist was struck and injured by a car this morning while riding in Upper Arlington. Steve Wartenberg, 55, was in critical condition tonight at OhioHealth Riverside Methodist Hospital.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/11/03/Dispatch-reporter-critical-after-bike-hit-by-car.html

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

One of the founders of Amazon was killed while she was riding her bike about a month ago. Be careful out there and watch for bikes while you’re driving!

geoyui
    Participant

Let’s not forget the hit and run that killed Robert Lennon, the DeSales high school teacher.

DeSales teacher killed on bicycle

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

That was within shouting distance of this house. Strange that it looks like it happened on McCoy along the golf course, that road is nice and open, plenty of room, 35mph.

groundrules
    Participant

alexs said:
    that road is nice and open, plenty of room, 35mph.

doesn’t matter if the driver is drunk.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

I really want to get into cycling, but it’s repeated incidents like these that keep me off the road. The outcome for a cyclist who encounters a drunk or distracted driver are just too severe. As we just saw with celebrity drunk driver M.C., the worst that can happen to the driver is a few years of jail time which apparently is not enough to prevent such behavior. I hope Mr. Wartenberg has a speedy and full recovery.

surber17
    Participant

@JaredThompson – I totally understand your fears. I’ve cut back my biking to places where I feel pretty safe and to times where unless you’re a total drunk, most people are sober. That said, I still ride in the street but when I do I stay right in the middle and I’ve had a lot less close calls.

groundrules
    Participant

surber17 said:
    That said, I still ride in the street but when I do I stay right in the middle and I’ve had a lot less close calls.

you’re probably just as likely to invoke intentional rage if you’re rigorous about insisting on always staying ‘right in the middle’, but depending on location, you might also be subjecting yourself to a traffic ticket. I’m all for sharing the road, but consider:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/11/03/conflicting-bike-laws-on-lane-use-in-city-cause-confusion.html

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

It scares me to hear about things done by (presumably sober) drivers whose eyes are on a screen instead of the road. Especially combined with the typical driver’s failure to recognize and anticipate hazards like a bike in a lane. On that part of McCoy, you can see a bike half a mile ahead, and take action as simple as changing lanes.

bob.os
    Participant

(Ed., please free to move this to a thread on Bob Lennon, but I can’t find one.)

I can’t believe I’m recommending a Dispatch comment thread, but the comments on this story (including an ill-advised contribution by someone claiming to be an editor at the Dispatch) have exposed a huge amount of hypocrisy by the Dispatch in their reporting of these two incidents. Despite claiming that they won’t name the politically well-connected suspect in the Lennon killing because no charges have been filed, the Dispatch felt free to name the suspect in the Wartenberg incident well before he was charged.

Unbelievable situations in both cases. I truly hope Wartenberg recovers and Lennon’s killer and those who tried to cover up the crime are brought to justice.

Twixlen
    Participant

I went back to the previous story on Lennon’s murder, and the whole thing comes out in the comments section –

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/11/03/Dispatch-reporter-critical-after-bike-hit-by-car.html

I can’t believe that that person hasn’t been charged, that the Dispatch has been so incredibly lax in their coverage (duplicitous now, after what’s happened to one of their own). There’s apparently been a confession AND the vehicle was confiscated, yet no charges filed? Uh huh.

joev
    Participant

Who is the person who hit Bob Lennon?

I wish Steve a quick recovery!

M.O.
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    I went back to the previous story on Lennon’s murder, and the whole thing comes out in the comments section –

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2013/11/03/Dispatch-reporter-critical-after-bike-hit-by-car.html

I can’t believe that that person hasn’t been charged, that the Dispatch has been so incredibly lax in their coverage (duplicitous now, after what’s happened to one of their own). There’s apparently been a confession AND the vehicle was confiscated, yet no charges filed? Uh huh.

And the winner is …

… One of Jerry Paul’s four grown children

Twixlen
    Participant

M.O. said:
    And the winner is …

… One of Jerry Paul’s four grown children

Yup. Several commenters mentioned that she’d had another incident of hit & run, and that charges were never filed. Sounds like they have a serious problem up there in Delaware county.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Yup. Several commenters mentioned that she’d had another incident of hit & run, and that charges were never filed. Sounds like they have a serious problem up there in Delaware county.

It’s my experience that they have a LOT of problems up there. This is hardly surprising, but very sad.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION