Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch killing off The Other Paper

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch killing off The Other Paper

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Just noticed that the TOP website is nothing but a “closed” page. All old/archived articles redirect you to that closed page.

That’s a lot of search engine traffic and inbound links that just got axed.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just noticed that the TOP website is nothing but a “closed” page. All old/archived articles redirect you to that closed page.

That’s a lot of search engine traffic and inbound links that just got axed.

tolemac5050
    Participant
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

This is a bit silly, but it was always my ambition to make the cover of TOP (for something positive). Guess that will never happen now.

I’m assuming here that the Dispatch is holding the copyrights, so even if someone else wanted to revive it, they couldn’t…

BCNation
    Participant

leftovers

ChrisSunami said:
    This is a bit silly, but it was always my ambition to make the cover of TOP (for something positive). Guess that will never happen now.

I’m assuming here that the Dispatch is holding the copyrights, so even if someone else wanted to revive it, they couldn’t…

True, somewhere in some musty backroom (and hopefully now digitized) there exists an archive of TOP’s former content. Hopefully they preserve it somehow. I handn’t really thought about it, but there are probably a lot of old posts on CU that link to blank TOP links now.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Go to the Wayback Machine at web.archive.org and type the url of a site in the box to in order to view most sites in their past forms.

grifado

Really missing TOP live music listings. Always would pull up the PDF online and see what bands were coming to town. Are there any other sites that give a comprehensive list of all the live music in town?

Columbus Alive only has featured ones and is tough to navigate. CU only lists some of the bands in the mega weekend. Looks like Donewaiting is closing up shop also.

Briana Henry
    Briana Henry
    Participant

Cringe[/url] is a really good resource to find out about shows, or I guess I can start doing this weekly :)

grifado

Briana Henry said:
    Cringe[/url] is a really good resource to find out about shows, or I guess I can start doing this weekly :)

Thanks. Hadn’t heard of this one before.

dru
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just noticed the mobile version of the site is still up and searchable:

http://m.theotherpaper.com/mobile/

Probably not for long though…

sonnyboo
    sonnyboo
    Participant

Hamsterdam said:
    “This makes a very strong case for the return of public access television to Columbus: the people need alternative mass media outlets.”

All 17 people who would watch the channel probably agree with you.

And yet thousands and thousands of people know who Damon Zex is….

Public Access – the channel no one watches but EVERYONE sees.

Youtube is NOT a substitute for Public Access TELEVISION. Internet will over run TV at some point, but we ain’t there yet. The city takes in MILLIONS of $$$ from franchise fees from the cable companies who charge US for that, then don’t give us the voice, the place on the television where we can be heard about whatever anyone wants to talk about. And it was guaranteed a channel – now just a bulletin board that lists events only.

Getting your Youtube channel seen and heard in your local area is about as likely as getting a single grain of sand seen out of the desert.

mrmann

I was really counting on a public access newspaper.

News
    Participant

Columbus Free Press Relaunches Weekly Print Format
    Published on September 4, 2013 11:40 am
    By: Walker

When The Columbus Dispatch announced that they would cease publication of The Other Paper back in January, a lot of people were upset. But none moreso than the current editors and staff of The Columbus Free Press – a local alternative publication that has existed in various forms for the past 43 years.

“Despite what The Dispatch said ‘on the record’ about what they did, I feel that they killed The Other Paper and Suburban News Publications just to get some of the other newspapers off the street,” says Michael Alwood, current Managing Editor of The Free Press. “The Dispatch was a frequent target of The Other Paper’s criticism.”

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/columbus-free-press-relaunches-weekly-print-format

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE