Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch killing off The Other Paper

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch killing off The Other Paper

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)
  • Author

Graybeak
    Participant

rustbelt said:
    Now here’s hoping Alive (finally/eventually) discovers that non-whites also live in the Columbus area.

Unfortunately, they are still part of the Dispatch Empire, so I don’t foresee any major changes in editorial decisions. I remember when they first bought it, the sudden jump in the size of the paper to accommodate the classified ads in the back.
    Don’t get me wrong, I loves me the Alive, and some of the writers more than others, but it is in my opinion a sales/revenue/style focused paper, as opposed to a “news” paper like TOP tried to be.

On a sad note, I will need to find a new source for pithy Halloween masks now…

RBloodworth
    Participant

This is Jack’s complete and total lack of surprise…

Why the Dispatch didn’t just do this when they bought SNP is beyond me. It was always kind of counter-productive for a snarky, anti-establishment, counterculture newspaper to be owned by the same arch-conservative, monopolistic enterprise that it intended to mock. The writing was on the wall for quite a while now, as most of TOP’s best writers were transferred over to Columbus Monthly a long time ago. Honestly, I miss the Guardian (now THERE was a truly alternative voice) a hell of a lot more than I’ll miss TOP, wbich was never really as edgy as it purported to be.

NDaEast
    Participant

Yep … the media monopoly exercised its power. Buy the competition, consolidate titles, control the writers, eliminate free sources of news, add paywall to own site, and promote propaganda.

This makes a very strong case for the return of public access television to Columbus: the people need alternative mass media outlets. There is a proposal in to the city now, that seeks the return of public access/community TV. And, yes, there will be effective ways to handle the “Angusto the Clown” and “Damon Zex’s” of the world (for those of you who remember those days).

Please call Council Member Miller’s office, who chairs the Technology Committee of Columbus City Council. Mr. Miller is leading the city’s 2013 budgeting effort for technology: let him know that you support a diversity of viewpoints in Columbus, and that public access TV provides one such vehicle: 645-7380. I would add that he has been very pleasant and receptive to these conversations, and of the council members is probably the most open-minded to community input.

Bear
    Participant

rustbelt said:
    I think everyone correctly predicted the end of The Other Paper when the Dispatch bought it.

I, for one, did not.

th0m
    Participant

Highly recommend bringing back public access, although I don’t have cable anymore, and I have an XBMC w/ Reddit videos plugin that is like crack.

Hamsterdam
    Participant

“This makes a very strong case for the return of public access television to Columbus: the people need alternative mass media outlets.”

All 17 people who would watch the channel probably agree with you.

rustbelt
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, I loves me the Alive, and some of the writers more than others, but it is in my opinion a sales/revenue/style focused paper, as opposed to a “news” paper like TOP tried to be.

The sole purpose of Alive is to print bar and restaurant ads (some obvious, some slightly more subtle) for white folks between the ages of 18-35.

I doubt even Alive would deny that.

RBloodworth
    Participant

Ah, Damon Zex and magic mushrooms. A proper daily diet for a mid-’90s high school misfit.

captain janks
    Participant

i can not believe that anyone seriously preferred alive to the other paper… they must have found the 3 people in the city who did, and used them as the focus group.

alive is 100% fluff… then again, im sure thats why the dispatch chose to keep it.

the other paper never seemed to be afraid to say when something/some place sucked, and that’s what i always liked about them… it was always fun to see people get butthurt when petric said their favorite band sucked too (looks like a few of them already posted in this thread lol).

groundrules
    Participant

captain janks said:
    i can not believe that anyone seriously preferred alive to the other paper…

advertisers did.

M.O.
    Participant

captain janks said:
    i can not believe that anyone seriously preferred alive to the other paper… they must have found the 3 people in the city who did, and used them as the focus group.

alive is 100% fluff… then again, im sure thats why the dispatch chose to keep it.

the other paper never seemed to be afraid to say when something/some place sucked, and that’s what i always liked about them… it was always fun to see people get butthurt when petric said their favorite band sucked too (looks like a few of them already posted in this thread lol).

You are 100-percent correct. Alive has been dead from the start, and a Wolfe flack dribbling on about readership overlaps between Alive and TOP confirms the veracity of the fat old white guys running that show. If any balls were in evidence here they’d just come out and say TOP was a dodgy ad revenue proposition in the Dispatch portfolio. There’s nothing wrong with that. An expected and smart move on the part of a button-down place like DMG, which would have advertisers pulling from all publications over blunt/dumb stuff in TOP.

They could have scored some cred here, but weasels can never hear themselves squeak.

myliftkk
    Participant

CU Muckraker.com?

Or wait, isn’t that the forums?

NDaEast
    Participant

Hamsterdam said:
    “This makes a very strong case for the return of public access television to Columbus: the people need alternative mass media outlets.”

All 17 people who would watch the channel probably agree with you.

Is that your profile picture? … you look young — probably wearing “pull-ups” the last time Columbus had public access. Your comment shows your lack of knowledge.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

While I do mourn the fact that the Dispatch now controls almost all print media in Columbus, I can’t say that I’ll mourn the passing of the other paper.

It was yellow journalism at its finest, and they frequently showed an active disregard for the facts. I say good riddance. I for one won’t miss it at, and I think overall the city is better off without it.

TomP301

captain janks said:

This. As soon as Dispatch bought Columbus Monthly the insightful and thoughtful reporting and essays in that publication, that really helped create a feel for the soul of the city, were replaced 100% by fluff, mainly food and drink promos. Even when the cover promises something that sounds like it might be meaty, it turns out to be insipid piffle instead. E.g., something about young Obama and Romney supporters turned out to be little more than pictures of 3 young people wearing Romney tees, and 3 wearing Obama tees. (Of course, the Distort wanted to prove that Romney is cool via tee-shirts).

I do have to say that, since a new editor came in a few months ago they have moved from 100% fluff to 1 or 2 reasonably substantive articles per issue. But that means it’s still 90% fluff designed to sell food, drink and homes/home improvement. It’s ironic that, soon after its purchase, the Dispatch version of CM was touting awards it had recently received — all for articles by people they had already fired, with the kind of writing that is 90% gone.

BTW, one aspect of the fluff that really gets to me is their almost intolerable hyperbole. Columbus Commons is “the envy of cities all over the country,” the Scioto Mile is “stupendous” (tell that to the San Antonio Riverwalk), and some pizza they’re writing up is “indescribably sublime.” Yech. No credibility. I’m a Columbus booster myself, but come on… (Disclaimer: Those were examples of the kind of writing CM has, not necessarily exact examples.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 90 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION