Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch killing off The Other Paper

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch killing off The Other Paper

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author

groundrules
    Participant

Graybeak
    Participant

Doesn’t come as much of a surprise, really. Interesting that they chose TOP insteand of Alive.

This may open up opportunities for that other other paper, however.

Ezmerelda74
    Participant

That sucks!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Full Press Release:

http://www.theotherpaper.com/news/article_a70030de-5902-11e2-b9d4-001a4bcf887a.html

The Other Paper to discontinue publication
    Posted: Monday, January 7, 2013

Columbus, Ohio (January 4, 2013) – The Dispatch Printing Company announced today that it will cease publication of The Other Paper at the end of the current month. The last issue is set for distribution on Thursday, January 31, 2013.

The Other Paper was one of the Central Ohio media properties acquired in September, 2011 from American Community Newspapers. It became a second free-distribution entertainment weekly publication for The Dispatch Printing Company which already had Alive! in its portfolio of products.

“In viewing the research of who reads the two publications, and after hearing from the local advertising community, it became more and more obvious that one publication would better serve our readers and advertisers,” said Michael Fiorile, President and Chief Operating Officer of The Dispatch Printing Co.

Reader feedback indicated that The Other Paper and alive! had too much overlap between the two publications. Advertiser feedback indicated the two publications didn’t have enough differentiation in their audiences. Alive! was judged the stronger brand which led to the final decision.

This decision will allow more focus and resources to be directed toward alive! in 2013 which serves readers and advertisers in the very best way.

All media inquiries should be directed to Phil Pikelny, VP-Dispatch Digital and Chief Marketing Officer at (614) 461-5222 or [email protected]

Graybeak
    Participant

The full irony being the whole point of The Other Paper was to be a counterpoint to the “evil” Dispatch. Printing the stories that the Wolfe Establishment would never print.

Won’t miss Petric though…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    The full irony being the whole point of The Other Paper was to be a counterpoint to the “evil” Dispatch. Printing the stories that the Wolfe Establishment would never print.

Won’t miss Petric though…

Petric can drown in a sea of piss.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

And The Dispatch’s goal all along finally comes to fruition.

Will be curious to see how many employees are hired on at Alive.

Brant
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Doesn’t come as much of a surprise, really. Interesting that they chose TOP insteand of Alive.

This may open up opportunities for that other other paper, however.

Look for CU Weekly, hitting newsstands Feb. 7!

Pablo
    Participant

I stopped reading TOP when the Dispatch bought it – the paper became really boring. I used to like to read the Booster (Clintonville weekly) but it’s so bland now that the Dispatch took over – I pitch it right in the recycling bin.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Ok that’s settled, now we move on to the Columbus monthly vs capital syle battle.

Hamsterdam
    Participant

The Other Paper went downhill when it lost really good (albeit super liberal) writers like Aaron Marshall, Lindsey Teeter and Dan Williamson.

Still, it was an enjoyable read on Thursdays. Always meant that the weekend was close.

rustbelt
    Participant

I think everyone correctly predicted the end of The Other Paper when the Dispatch bought it.

But, if people find they can’t live without TOP’s music “coverage”, I’m willing to write, on a weekly basis, that the Beatles/1960s constitute the only music that matters and ever will matter. Oh, and Jack White. For a small fee.

Now here’s hoping Alive (finally/eventually) discovers that non-whites also live in the Columbus area.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Pablo said:
    I stopped reading TOP when the Dispatch bought it – the paper became really boring. I used to like to read the Booster (Clintonville weekly) but it’s so bland now that the Dispatch took over – I pitch it right in the recycling bin.

+1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Brant said:
    Look for CU Weekly, hitting newsstands Feb. 7!

We’ve got no current plans to step backward into print media. ;)

cbus11

Waiting for a post from ‘my medium is dying’.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below:

Support Journalism. Drink Coffee!

We’ve partnered with our friends at Stauf’s to bring you this limited-edition coffee blend celebrating 20 years of CU! Every purchase supports our mission of serving the community award-winning local journalism!

CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE