Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus tries to attract Stone Brewing Co.

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Columbus tries to attract Stone Brewing Co.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 302 total)
  • Author

CB_downtowner
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DouginCMH wrote:</div>
    According to the articles I’ve seen about the current law, it’s both brewing and selling:

http://drinkupcolumbus.com/2013/12/17/legislation-introduced-to-raise-ohios-beer-alcohol-content-limit/

It’s a good point and it makes it one of the various points to look at in the selection. I feel like the the ABV will get increased within a couple years but they can’t bank on it in their decision. And as you mention, there are only a few beers that they make on a seasonal basis that go above 12% so they can still ship those to the Eastern U.S.

I also read that Ohio isn’t offering the incentives like other regions, which I’d think is a big factor, but Ohio seems to have the edge in so many other areas as far as location, access to highways, proximity to the greatest number of people, our population, and the beer culture on the rise.

Just think about the tourism dollars for people visiting Columbus for beer trips from Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Indianapolis, Louisville, and beyond.

A lot of spots around town are tapping a Stone beer on Saturday for a little bit of additional encouragement. You can find it on Facebook under “Tap a Stone Day.”

I read about Columbus not offering incentives as well. But then, I’d have to think that having lower business tax is going to make incentives much less important (though… it does scare me that Stone listed incentives as being an important piece to all this). I saw that Ohio ranked #3 while Virginia was ranked #6. Gives us an edge, but based on that report, obviously no edge over Cincinnati.

I just saw this pitch through Columbus Region and have to say I’m very impressed with it:

http://columbusregion.com/Columbus/media/Columbus/PDFs/Brochures/Columbus-Region-HQ-Brochure.pdf

DouginCMH
    Participant

I picked up a six-pack of their Saison yesterday for the same reason.

This wait is going to be maddening. I mean, Columbus has such HUGE advantages in distribution that it’s just silly. Plus,. We already drink more Stone beer than any other state in the region.

Re: incentives, here’s what was included in the Dispatch article about this over the weekend:

“Some other cities have tax-credit allotments that enable them to make very compelling financial offers,” Lowe said. “Our city is not armed with those tax credits, but we are doing everything we can to make a compelling proposal, and I think what we have on the table has kept us in the hunt.”

Columbus economic-development director Steve Schoeny was unavailable to comment on what incentives the city could offer Stone, but a deal cut for an expansion at Alliance Data System’s Easton operation might give a hint.

The City Council agreed to a 10-year, 65 percent income-tax break for Alliance Data, worth an estimated $8.5 million.

JobsOhio, a private, statewide economic-development group, said Ohio has the lowest corporate tax burden in the Midwest and third lowest in the nation. Ohio does not tax corporate profits, product shipped out of state, inventory or new machinery and equipment.”

By the way, here’s the latest from Columbus Business First:

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2014/07/stone-brewing-focusing-on-virginia-and-ohio-passed.html

So Norfolk has better water? Who knew? Might want to tell the other 20 breweries in the area.

I need to stop obsessing about this. I thought that when the World Cup ended life would get back to normal. Not so much.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I’ve been drinking a TON of Stone Saison this summer, and I don’t drink at home much. I think I’ve gone through 4-5 six packs in the past month or so.

SO. GOOD.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Meanwhile, the US has added another 500 craft breweries in the last year and the total now exceeds 3,000:

http://drinkupcolumbus.com/2014/07/28/brewers-association-releases-mid-year-growth-report/

Matt Boyd
    Participant

I haven’t even seen the Stone Saison on a shelf anywhere. I would have bought some if I saw it.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I haven’t even seen the Stone Saison on a shelf anywhere. I would have bought some if I saw it.

I’ve found it very easy to find, actually. In my neck of the woods, Giant Eagle (Polaris/23) almost always has it, as well as Aficianados on Old State. I’ve also found it at Giant Eagle Marketplace in Upper Arlington, and a few shops in Clintonville.

It’s a shame you don’t usually care for saisons. I’m in love with this beer for Summer.

Matt Boyd
    Participant

You’ve been talking up the saisons so much lately I wanted to try the Stone version. I like the saisons I’ve tried…I’ve just only tried them from breweries that absolutely specialize in stud like that such as Crooked Stave and Jester King….gettin off topic.

DouginCMH
    Participant

While we chew our fingernails and down six packs of Stone beers, waiting for the announcement, it can’t hurt to reach out to your local state rep, asking for his/her support in getting H.B. 391 passed:

http://ohiobeerlaw.wordpress.com/

DouginCMH
    Participant

By the way, the August 2, Tap a Stone event is picking up steam:

https://www.facebook.com/events/515068101928452/

Great and rapidly expanding selection of local establishments (approaching 30) tapping a nice variety of Stone brews.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Love today’s article about the Stone proposal:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/urban-food-and-beverage-campus-proposed-to-lure-stone-brewing-to-columbus

Terrific reporting! I’d only add that the Tap a Stone event this Saturday is now up to over 50 local establishments.

Re: the project itself, I love it. When I talk to out of towners about what is so special about the development we’re seeing in Columbus, ‘collaboration’ is one of the words that always comes to the fore. Creative collaboration among the local food/drink/creative community, supported by an organic interest among this expanding group in focusing efforts on downtown, developing a critical mass for this kind of development, and so on. Jeni’s Middle West Spirits, Stone… I mean, Jeni’s and MWS have already collaborated with the local burgeoning craft brewing industry on special beers. And its not just about ‘local’ it’s also about high quality. I love that quote from Dan Cochran (Four String Brewing) from an article in 614 Magazine from a year or two ago where he said something along the lines of: ‘I don’t eat Jeni’s ice cream because it’s local. I eat it because it’s the best ****ing ice cream I’ve ever had.’ That’s the exciting point: it’s local, but it’s also cutting edge, world class and, as I said, collaborative.

And that sort of thing is happening all the time in Columbus. It is a very, very cool thing, indeed.

I know the site isn’t specifically identified, but that Timkin/Milo-Grogan area has always been of interest to me. If someone can convince Anthony Precourt to build a new stadium for the Crew in that area, as well, it would be very close to a dream come true for me.

News
    Participant

Urban Food-and-Beverage Campus Proposed to Lure Stone Brewing to Columbus
    July 31, 2014 6:40 am – Walker Evans

“We’ve put together plans to create a craft food and beverage campus concept that could include Stone Brewing and the potential to host other growing food and drink producers, like Jeni’s or Middle West Spirits for example,” said Mark Wagenbrenner, President of Wagenbrenner Development. “We’re in the late stages with this proposal, and we hope it’s something that will set us apart for Stone Brewing.”

Wagenbrenner declined to specify where the campus could be located, saying only that it would be an appropriate urban development site. Wagenbrenner Development currently owns or controls multiple large parcels within the inner-city, including Jeffrey Park in Italian Village, the former Columbus Coating Fabrics Site in Weinland Park, the Timken Site in Milo-Grogan (pictured up top), and the Kaplin Site at the intersection of Grandview Avenue and Dublin Road.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/urban-food-and-beverage-campus-proposed-to-lure-stone-brewing-to-columbus

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Terrific reporting! I’d only add that the Tap a Stone event this Saturday is now up to over 50 local establishments.

Is there an updated list somewhere I can find?

I can update the story. ;)

Mercurius
    Participant

Two words: Streetcar Barn

DouginCMH
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DouginCMH wrote:</div>

Is there an updated list somewhere I can find?

I can update the story. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/events/515068101928452/

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks! Updated the article, as well as the listing, here:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/events/tap-a-stone-day-stone2cbus?instance_id=

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 302 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: