Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch Cartoonist, Jeff Stahler

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch Cartoonist, Jeff Stahler

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

shmack

Came across this today in my RSS feed… Looked really interesting, then noted that the toons were from the Dispatch. Is Jeff Stahler syndicated or Dispatch’s in-house cartoonist? What do you think?

From The Bad Cartoonist: How to be an Editorial Cartoonist with really trying

The idea is simple. If you can’t come up with an idea about a news story, just draw a cartoon of people reacting to the news. Most often this cartoon will be of two people, husband and wife, sipping coffee at the breakfast table reacting the newspaper in their hands. The cartoonist must draw the newspaper. No one knows for sure why, but it is a rule that is followed religiously. Subtle variations include: two people at a cafe; two people in front of the TV (in this instance the cartoonist must draw the remote control. Don’t ask why, just do it. It’s a rule.); two people reading a sign and so forth.

That’s right if you get desperate enough, you can do a ‘Stahler’ and plagiarise yourself.

John Ross

He’s the Dispatch‘s resident cartoonist, and he’s one of my absolute favorites. Great visual style, often funny, always insightful.

(You can always see a cartoonist’s home publication in the byline. Even syndicated cartoons in The Dispatch retain their original source info.)

That criticism by Bad Cartoonist is pretty misguided, if you ask me, and it misses the point of many Stahler cartoons, which work by lambasting politicians in the media and the American public who offers knee-jerk reactions to their scandals.

drew
    Participant

Yeah, he’s a staff cartoonist for the Dispatch… has quite a reputation nationally. Also a CCAD grad… woohoo!

shmack

okay, well respected, CCAD, woot!

but what about the self plagarism? the lack of creativity? isn’t that disappointing/shameful for a nationally recognized artist?

i mean, there’s lots of content to be mined from news/politics in an election year, no? it isn’t like the daily show/colbert report writers are using the same delivery mechanism for punchlines once a month!

drew
    Participant

I guess I didn’t get pick up on the allegation of plagiarism on my first look. Drawings are obviously similar, wish I could read the text. It’s not entirely impossible that he just pulled stock characters out of memory and drew them in a similar pose as opposed to consciously referencing an older cartoon. I’ve found myself doing something similar (unintentionally) on parts of a few designs…

John Ross

shmack wrote i mean, there’s lots of content to be mined from news/politics in an election year, no? it isn’t like the daily show/colbert report writers are using the same delivery mechanism for punchlines once a month!

Both shows do this all the time.

Also, cartoons maintain by essentially tweaking the same format in a consistent visual style. Everything from Red Meat to Calvin & Hobbes does this. Just part of the medium, I’d say.

I love Red Meat!! Good Stuff…

As to Stahler, I think a lot of his stuff is formulaic, and then he goes and does something brilliant. It’s just his style. He’s always doing homages to dead celebrities by drawing the same scene of Peter greeting the individual at the Pearly Gates, with some relevant one-liner. People really seem to respond to those judging by some letters to the editor I’ve read. They tend to touch some nerve apparently.

He also does a daily comic panel, Moderately Confused. From Comics.com:

“…Award-winning editorial cartoonist Jeff Stahler creates Moderately Confused, a whimsical slice-of-life daily comic panel. Editorial cartoonist for The Columbus Dispatch, Stahler also draws political cartoons that are distributed worldwide by Newspaper Enterprise Association. “Moderately Confused is an extension of my daily thinking routine,” says Stahler. “I’m used to observing the front pages of the news and commenting with a cartoon. But every day, the rest of the paper tracks the culture, and all of those stories are rich for commentary, too. This panel gives me an outlet for observing those back pages of the paper that I enjoy reading as well.” “

Anyway, I do like the guy. It could be worse. We could have Ramirez instead…

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

To be honest, I feel like Stahler phones it in the majority of the time. He has the same schtick he uses over and over, and it’s often a direct and literal rendering of the days news. Not that he doesn’t have his moments, but there was a lot of hype surrounding his hire and as yet I haven’t understood why…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Stahler is so bad I actually get angry most mornings.

The pearly gates schtick is so predictable and despite many letters of criticism he continues to draw it the same and the Dispatch keeps printing them. (Stay tuned for ol Pete saying “Yes, Mrs Reagan…your husband has been waiting patiently for you” Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :barf:)

He offers exactly ZERO insight or commentary in his crudely drawn “cartoons” and they remind me of a high-school newspaper cartoonist who get’s the space because he’s the only one who contributes.

Stahler is a true embarrassment and a contributor to our “Cowtown” image.

BCOZ wrote Stahler is so bad I actually get angry most mornings.

The pearly gates schtick is so predictable and despite many letters of criticism he continues to draw it the same and the Dispatch keeps printing them. (Stay tuned for ol Pete saying “Yes, Mrs Reagan…your husband has been waiting patiently for you” Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :barf:)

He offers exactly ZERO insight or commentary in his crudely drawn “cartoons” and they remind me of a high-school newspaper cartoonist who get’s the space because he’s the only one who contributes.

Stahler is a true embarrassment and a contributor to our “Cowtown” image.

I can see where you’re coming from, but, love him or hate him, it was considered a big deal when the Dispatch got him. He is internationally syndicated after all. Can anyone even name the resident cartoonist before Stahler? Me neither…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: