Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch Buying The Other Paper, Columbus Monthly, SNP

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch Buying The Other Paper, Columbus Monthly, SNP

Viewing 5 posts - 106 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This clearly indicates that the advertiser base they’re after…

Fixed that for you.

jackoh
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MichaelC wrote:</div>
    This clearly indicates that the advertiser base they’re after…

Fixed that for you.

With regard to any media enterprise, which comes first the advertiser or the customer base?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

With regard to any media enterprise, which comes first the advertiser or the customer base?

I’d say it varies from outlet to outlet. Some feel that one is more important than the others. Some are on equal ground.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

In my experience it is much easier to sell advertising to someone who reads your magazine than someone who doesn’t, regardless of what their customers read. I think Walker’s point was the publisher is trying to appeal to potential advertisers, and I agree.

Nancy H
    Participant

Businesses want customers, preferrably new ones to expand their income.

Most print publications have some kind of targeted readership. It might be young urban professionals who ride a bike, go out to eat regularly, buy current fashion, etc. Or it could be a more specific group like retired people with money and time to travel.

The publisher will flog their “targeted readership” with all sorts of things like subscriber base. If it was say, the YUP who rides a bike to work, then they would push their ad space to all the local bike shops and trendy restaurants.

Paid subscribers are just marketing tools. At $3 to $5 cost per issue it wouldn’t even pay to print that issue. Advertising income is what keeps a publication going.

The sad part is actual content is probably in third place as a priority.

Viewing 5 posts - 106 through 110 (of 110 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: