Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch Buying The Other Paper, Columbus Monthly, SNP

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch Buying The Other Paper, Columbus Monthly, SNP

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 110 total)
  • Author

groundrules
    Participant

Dicks just raised their rates too.

Aaron Marshall
    Participant

TomP301 said:
    And Molly Willow? Since the Dispatch refuses to report on any of their internal firings, who else is going to do it? (Since I just joined CU I don’t know whether such news makes its way over here.)

I will do it. It’ll be my public service.

TomP301

It will be fascinating to see if the many portions of the CM archive that deal in criticism and speculation concerning the Wolfes and the Wolfe empire “conveniently” go away now. Bet they do. Maybe the issue headlined “A Death in the Morning” (how the Dispatch killed off the Citizen-Journal) will disappear in its entirety. Or how about all that “Top Power Brokers” stuff, or the unflattering accounts of John W Wolfe’s hard-nosed, revenge-filled involvement in local politics? We’ve seen that the Dispatch has a strict policy against anything other than PR-type discussion of their business dealings and family gossip. If I’m wrong and they keep all of this readily available, I’ll be surprised and it will also increase my respect for the Dispatch.

sirlancelot
    Participant

What I find dismaying is the reduction of local news coverage. Without alternative media reporting, how do citizens know what happens in their own communities? The fact is that all media, print, broadcast and on-line, rely on profits to exist. The few “free” newspapers still in Columbus rely on advertising. That’s where you and I come in.

People should compare what our newspapers looked like 30 years ago versus now. More pictures and pretty graphics now, less news. More local news then. Who is better informed?

Perhaps things would not be so bleak if local radio broadcasters such as WTVN had not reduced their local news coverage. I also think local news coverage by tv stations is inadequate. People accuse the news media of being slanted and that will certainly be true if no alternatives exist.

The Dispatch used to run, as a community service, a complete death list and basic funeral info. Many people cannot afford to run a paid newspaper obituary. If the Dispatch prints a free listing of births and marriages, why not deaths? The paper used to publish all crime reports. We are now left to look up such info via the internet. This is not journalism, it is laziness.

Not only do we have less local print news coverage, media such as The Dispatch (some years back) outsource what were production jobs (editing, proofing, design and so on) elsewhere, such as India. Similar to what law firms now do with legal research and writing.

Meanwhile, what people can do is to hold local news media accountable. We can demand more local and fair news coverage. Then, there are the advertisers. If the advertisers demand better news coverage, the media will respond. Yes, we have the internet, but would you depend on Facebook or Twitter alone for your local news?

Static-X

Hey Walker, When are you selling out?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Static-X said:

That was already covered earlier in the thread… as soon as the dumptruck full of money arrives at our door. ;)

labi
    Participant

sirlancelot said:
    What I find dismaying is the reduction of local news coverage. Without alternative media reporting, how do citizens know what happens in their own communities?

The Other Paper or the old Alive have never provided the kind of meat-and-potatoes local news you’re discussing here. They (at best) picked up the fun, interesting, or controversial stuff off the top. (Ok, Dan Williamson was an exception, but his single column could still only deal with so much.)

Perhaps things would not be so bleak if local radio broadcasters such as WTVN had not reduced their local news coverage.

WOSU 89.7FM has excellent local news coverage, with additional worthwhile programs like “Columbus on the Record” on their TV station.

I also think local news coverage by tv stations is inadequate.

Can you really say that (outside of public tv) tv news coverage of ANYTHING (local or not) is adequate?

The Dispatch used to run, as a community service, a complete death list and basic funeral info. Many people cannot afford to run a paid newspaper obituary. If the Dispatch prints a free listing of births and marriages, why not deaths? The paper used to publish all crime reports. We are now left to look up such info via the internet. This is not journalism, it is laziness.

Come on, publishing public lists is not really a “journalism vs laziness” issue. The Dispatch has its flaws (what doesn’t), but I feel like people find it too easy to just cast every kind of complaint at it without regard to reality. Would you really want to wade through printed listings of every death and every crime report in Columbus every day? I wouldn’t. That kind of thing is what I expect to find in the paper of my home village (usual total page count about 20), but not a major metro daily. Maybe it made sense back when paper was cheap and there were no other options for keeping that kind of monumental list-like data accessible, but we do have the internet now.

I feel like the Dispatch’s metro section is a pretty good place to keep up on the day-to-day workings of local and state government, covered from a broad audience perspective. They do invest the resources to keep track of and report on stuff that no one else (besides perhaps WOSU) does. I wish it could be better, but at this point, it’s not like the “alternative media” are really champing at the bit to do it.

Then, there are the advertisers. If the advertisers demand better news coverage, the media will respond.

Advertisers demanding better news coverage? Are you serious?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

So I picked up a free copy of the Onion yesterday, how long has it been in town?, and what do I see, it is also being published/selling local ads by the Dispatch folks….yikes. October 21st. won’t come soon enough!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lazyfish said:
    So I picked up a free copy of the Onion yesterday, how long has it been in town?

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/print-edition-of-the-onion-coming-to-columbus-via-the-dispatch-printing-company

rightofleft

Static-X said:

Walker said:
    That was already covered earlier in the thread… as soon as the dumptruck full of money arrives at our door. ;)

As much as we love the CU messageboard I doubt it would be something the Dispatch could justify. My guess is CU does somewhere like $5,000 a month in advertising and that probably wouldn’t do much to change the problems the Dispatch is facing. Plus you would have to hire someone to moderate the site just like Walker does (which makes it a better experience), so at the end of the day it’s probably better off on its own.

BSFilter

Have you seen the printed version of the Onion the Dispatch puts out? It’s full of almost nothing but Dispatch related ads. Pretty pathetic if you ask me and the content is stale if you are an Onion fan like me who reads it online. Not sure I get the point of it.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

BSFilter said:
    Not sure I get the point of it.

Yes you do.

“It’s full of almost nothing but Dispatch related ads.”

Campbell
    Blocked

So my brother-in-law told me that he heard the editor of C Magazine, Jason Ohlson, was possibly being offered and maybe even already accepted the newly open position of editor of Columbus Monthly? Has anyone else heard this? Thoughts?

News
    Participant

25 suburban newspapers blanket region
    Wednesday April 25, 2012 5:40 AM

Community journalism in central Ohio is about to turn a page — hundreds of thousands of them, actually. Starting this week, 25 communities across the region will receive new weekly newspapers that incorporate the most-popular elements of the weeklies previously produced by ThisWeek Community Newspapers and Suburban News Publications. The consolidated newspapers will have a combined circulation of 327,559 and a geographic footprint that stretches from Grove City to Sunbury and from Marysville to Newark.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2012/04/25/25-suburban-newspapers-blanket-region.html

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

I’ve met Mr. Biondi – he’s a dedicated publisher – community journalism in Columbus is in good hands.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 110 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: