Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dispatch Buying The Other Paper, Columbus Monthly, SNP

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dispatch Buying The Other Paper, Columbus Monthly, SNP

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 110 total)
  • Author

groundrules
    Participant

let’s start the betting pool now- how long until they kill off The Other Paper?

ssines

Based on the way the Dispatch Publishing Group integrated publications like Columbus Alive I’m not so sure this is a doom and gloom portent. Why buy products just to squash their identity? It’s about building the overall media brand and expanding potential print readership/advertising in an Internet-centric age I’d bet.

Twixlen
    Participant

groundrules said:
    let’s start the betting pool now- how long until they kill off The Other Paper?

Dude, it’s probably already been killed. Well – I take that back. Maybe not fully killed, more of a solid kneecapping.

Anonymous
    Inactive

What’ll they do with Petric? Can they fire him twice?

desecration
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    The dump truck full of cash is probably on the way to his house right now

Then please let them know to reroute their stop to 1200 N. High St.
    Thanks! :P

Twixlen
    Participant

ssines said:
    Based on the way the Dispatch Publishing Group integrated publications like Columbus Alive I’m not so sure this is a doom and gloom portent. Why buy products just to squash their identity? It’s about building the overall media brand and expanding potential print readership/advertising in an Internet-centric age I’d bet.

Except that TOP was the only counterpoint to expose – in print form, with some level of legitimacy and respect – where conflicts within the Dispatch and what they cover lie. Without them – there’s Walker. And well. Plunderbund, but since Walker covers the gamut…

groundrules
    Participant

ssines said:

<chuckle>

joev
    Participant

ssines said:

Based on how blatantly The Dispatch has been used to achieve the publisher’s political/civic agenda? It will at least be de-clawed. Which is a very bad thing for Columbus.

News
    Participant

Dispatch Printing Company acquires Columbus Monthly, other local niche
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Tuesday September 27, 2011 3:57 PM

The Dispatch Printing Company today announced that it had acquired a group of niche publications from American Community Newspapers, expanding the depth and breadth of its news organization.

In acquiring the publications of Columbus Media Enterprises, the company said it is better positioning itself for the future by creating a wide range of niche print and digital products.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/09/27/dispatch-acquires-niche-publications.html

ssines

“In the Gutter” will no doubt go away or at least be tapered to aim at Sinclair, NBC4, etc. and I’m sure the outside critique of the Dispatch and associated companies will disappear but as mentioned, we have good alternative sources for that. It’s an opportunity actually for that to grow if nothing else.

I’m a bit biased though.

groundrules
    Participant

ssines said:

I’m a bit biased though.

that was pretty easy to sniff out, but thanks for being honest.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Twixlen said:
    Except that TOP was the only counterpoint to expose – in print form, with some level of legitimacy and respect – where conflicts within the Dispatch and what they cover lie. Without them – there’s Walker. And well. Plunderbund, but since Walker covers the gamut…

I get what you’re saying, and appreciate it… but just wanted to point out that CU is not just me. CU is Walker and Anne and Melanie and Nancy. At least in a staffing capacity. Plus lots of contributions from many other folks.

If our advertisers continue to support us with the growth we’ve seen in the past few years, we’ll continue to hire people and continue to grow into the future. ;)

Twixlen
    Participant

ssines said:
    “In the Gutter” will no doubt go away or at least be tapered to aim at Sinclair, NBC4, etc. and I’m sure the outside critique of the Dispatch and associated companies will disappear but as mentioned, we have good alternative sources for that. It’s an opportunity actually for that to grow if nothing else.

I’m a bit biased though.

Clearly – since I’m guessing you work for either the Dispatch or one of the newly acquired papers…

Needless to say, TOP had reporters who were paid to investigate… and they spent a decent amount of their efforts investigating the intersecting political wind of Dispatch owner & Dispatch content. The counterbalance to the Wolfe Machine will be missed, for certain.

ssines

groundrules: Well to be fair, I’m just a freelancer these days. I just have a different view than a lot of people with respect to the Dispatch. I grew up in the newsroom, I worked there a good number of years and I’ve written for a number of the publications. I never really “got” the vilification of the company, nor did I ever experience some secret agenda to convert the masses to the publisher’s viewpoint, but everyone has different perspectives and I respect that.

Twixlen
    Participant

Walker said:
    I get what you’re saying, and appreciate it… but just wanted to point out that CU is not just me. CU is Walker and Anne and Melanie and Nancy. At least in a staffing capacity. Plus lots of contributions from many other folks.

If our advertisers continue to support us with the growth we’ve seen in the past few years, we’ll continue to hire people and continue to grow into the future. ;)

Yes! Sorry… going for easy and leaving out some important folks in the process…. I’m aware that you aren’t a one-man show. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 110 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: