Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Discovery Commons - New Downtown Mixed-Use Apartment Building

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Discovery Commons – New Downtown Mixed-Use Apartment Building

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

From the bottom of this story: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/10/21/grocerys-plan-seen-as-another-step-for-downtown.html

Developer George Berardi is applying to the Downtown Commission to build a five-story, 120,000-square-foot building at Spring and Neilston streets that would have 102 apartments on the upper floors and four retail spaces at ground level.

The $11.5 million Discovery District Commons also would include 71 underground parking spaces. The site has a surface parking lot and two smaller buildings.

columbusmike
    Participant

Great news for the Discovery District…..downtown is starting to take shape………….

econJoe
    Participant

“Oh, by the way, a developer is building a 102-unit apartment building.” Seems like it should be more prominent in the article. ;)

This is very exciting though!

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I wonder if anyone has thought about making a grocer in the RiverSouth District? It could help spur development to. Maybe the “South Market” ? And thats great news about the Hills Market! I hope I get to visit it one time.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CalebR said:
    I wonder if anyone has thought about making a grocer in the RiverSouth District? It could help spur development to. Maybe the “South Market” ? And thats great news about the Hills Market! I hope I get to visit it one time.

The Brewery District Kroger is a 10 minute walk from the RiverSouth area.

The CVS on High is a 5 minute walk, open on weekends and has a fairly extensive grocery section in terms of a convenience store.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

True, i now see that if you put another grocer it could hurt the two other stores.

cbus11

I had heard whisperings that Aldi was scouting out locations in the KLD/Mt Vernon area, but I think the Hill’s announcement may put an end to that.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cbus11 said:
    I had heard whisperings that Aldi was scouting out locations in the KLD/Mt Vernon area, but I think the Hill’s announcement may put an end to that.

I hadn’t heard that, but I think Aldi’s and Hill’s will appeal to different customer bases.

Though I would think Aldi’s would be more competitive with the Circle 77 Food Co-Op that is planned for the area:

Local Matters and Circle 77 Launching Food Co-Op on Near East Side

heresthecasey
    Participant

Which corner of Spring and Neilston will this development be on? The dispatch seems to indicate in their graphic the northwest corner, which is all surface parking, and all good.

But then it says in the article,

The site has a surface parking lot and two smaller buildings.

This would seem to indicate possibly the northeast corner, which is significantly less ideal because it would mean demolishing buildings (however small) to build on the land, when plentiful expanses of surface parking lots abound in the nearby area.

Seems like the Abigail, part II possibly. Demo one building to build another. Net gain, the same amount of building and parking lots as before. That would be a bad trend to continue, IMO.

cbus11

@Walker

I think the swing factor for Aldi will be the students in the Discovery district.

I agree with Walker – there are 2 demographics.

The good news is that the student “factor” or market is a cross over. They will shop in both a Hills and an Aldis. The Aldis at Huson is packed with OSU students. ALL good for downtown redevelopment (it’s happening). This is also a huge win for KLD and Olde Towne neighborhoods as well – it just keeps getting better

rmandrew
    Participant

This is great news. I am currently scouting locations for my cafe/coffee house concept in Discovery District also. Any suggestions for commercial property will be gladly appreciated.

http://www.twitter.com/yardbirdcafe

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cbus11 said:
    I think the swing factor for Aldi will be the students in the Discovery district.

I imagine a company of their size has done their research, but not all of the students in that area fall under the typical “18-22, dirt poor” demographic. CCAD students might come close, and there are certainly plenty of OSU students that take classes at CSCC, but there’s also a whole lot of older working adults at Franklin and CSCC who I imagine are more drawn to Hill’s than Aldi’s.

Then again, my main experience with Aldi’s is the store at Hudson which is sort of sub-part in my shopping experience there (rotten produce sitting on the shelves). Something slightly nicer might do a little better across all demographics.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rmandrew said:
    This is great news. I am currently scouting locations for my cafe/coffee house concept in Discovery District also. Any suggestions for commercial property will be gladly appreciated.

I’d love to see a coffee shop in this building:

Live/Work Opportunity Near CSCC/CCAD

Probably needs a lot of work though and a fairly heavy investment.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

I’ve been at that ALDI, its bad. But the one on the west side is actually nice (i know surprising lol)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: