Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Disappointed with the Arches?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Disappointed with the Arches?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

I’ve been very disappointed lately with the programing of the Short North Arches. For holiday hop the arches had some sort of blinking theme, which IMO would have looked much better Red and Green or some other more holiday theme. There was nothing special for on of the biggest nights of the year, New Years Eve.

I was very impressed/please with the programing during Pride and the Softball Tournament, so my question is: Can we improve/make special programing on a more regular basis to provide something of interest to look at?

JonMyers
    Participant

Josh, I feel ya. I love the arches, but am not a fan of the inconsistent Sesame Street on Ice lighting strategy.

It would be nice if the controller broke and the lights simply remained white.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

The blinking and changing of colors are much more appealing to me than stand alone white, but to each his own. That said, green and red would have been nice during the holidays. In the end, let’s just feel lucky that they still work.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I think the arches are doing a great job, they’re doing just great.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

How can we make the arches more interesting, here are my ideas:
    -More colors, maybe colors we don’t see very often like glurple or blorange.
    -Have them sway in the breeze — additional thought: prerecorded windchime noises?
    -Affix fake Torii to them during Ohayocon, Anime Punch, etc.
    -Flash really quickly like there’s lightning or someone’s taking pictures
    -Let people control them through the internet
    -Use them to paint out images if you’re standing at exactly the right spot on High street — additional thought: look into persistence of vision hacks
    -Have them change color each time a car passes under them
    -Coin-slot boxes on each one that let people choose what they should display
    -Hollywood-style searchlights on the top of each one
    -Colors should change based on available parking on that block (tied in with the new parking meters)
    -Let people climb up them and throw pennies
    -Install an overhead gondola system supported by them, instead of building a streetcar
    -Speakers that broadcast the latest news headlines and energizing hard-house techno music
    -They should shoot sparks

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

-Turn them into part of the World’s Longest Carwash (free for anyone driving down high street)
    -Cover them with cloth and make a big tunnel
    -Extend them downwards and use them as makeshift firepoles into the sewer
    -Along the lines of “firepoles,” put on free burlesque performances with them (late at night)
    -Street luge obstacle course?
    -Each lightbulb should be replaced with a small ghost or pumpkin-shaped bulb during Halloween (and possibly easter)
    -Space elevator tethers

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

During the superbowl they should flash morse code updates about the score in the colors of the playing teams, so if you’re driving your car you can keep up to date with the Big Game.

JonMyers
    Participant

Love it. The lights should be tied to data points in the city.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

The lights should be tied to hot-air balloons and the city should give everyone free rides

JonMyers
    Participant

What about a sky chair system that connects to the arches?

cyclist II
    Participant

Dimmer switch?

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Maybe an inward-facing hall of mirrors so that people who have apartments never have to see the lights.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

If each arch blinked on one at a time, in order, down the length of high street, it would probably feel like you were driving a lot faster (or slower, depending)

Diesha

There are some colors we must be careful with (i.e. Red, Blue, Yellow, Green) due to emergency vehicles and traffic lights.

Thanks for the suggestions, I’m not sure we can do about Hot Air Balloon rides, but fun new light shows for sure!

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Diesha wrote >>
    There are some colors we must be careful with (i.e. Red, Blue, Yellow, Green) due to emergency vehicles and traffic lights.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I’m not sure we can do about Hot Air Balloon rides, but fun new light shows for sure!

Thanks for your reply! I know that the light display during Pride really got all my friends talking. Although i dont know how much the lights specifically draw people into the SN i’m sure that they add to the ambiance, especially if they are special for different occasions! Maybe http://www.shortnorth.org could create some buzz with a contest or suggestions on different displays for special occasions on the site or on facebook? Perhaps thats cliche but anything to create a buzz in the “new media” age.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: