Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dirty Frank's Hog Dog Palace

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Dirty Frank's Hog Dog Palace

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 783 total)
  • Author

Over the last month I’ve talked to lots of folks working in the Hospitality industry and everbody’s refrigeration and ac systems (including our’s on an aluminum platform) are getting worked overtime!
    Hell, last weekend we witnessed rolling blackout’s of the street lamps up and down High St. near Dick’s Den because everybody and their momma are working that ac overtime!!

Wimps!! If you go in an establishment and they have food worth being there for and it’s hot= 1. Order it to go! 2. Order more cold beverages!!

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Totally! It’s just been hot as Hades lately…hard to keep any place cool…especially when the door opens and closes as much as DF’s. We had kickass chow in there last Saturday. It was toasty for sure, but our servers kept us in lots of ice water and cold cocktails. We did after dinner drinks and hanging out at Little Palace and it was warm in there too…they had 4 extra fans going all around the bar. We made sure to stay plenty hydrated there too. :) Luckily the whole city has been a sweaty mess for like 3 weeks, so if we all sweat together, who really notices, right? :)

meltsintowonder
    Participant

I’ve had the same experience at a number of places and understand it’s hard to keep some places cooled down with the excessive heat. I went to Dirty Frank’s today for lunch. The temp was very comfortable and I’m always hot.

jennyw
    Participant

Kyle and I took my dad and stepmom there for dinner tonight. Temp was just fine, and holy crap, was the whistlestop (fried green tomatoes w/ lemon aioli) good. I hope it becomes a permanent part of the summertime rotation.

patient_zero
    Participant

jennyw wrote >>
    …and holy crap, was the whistlestop (fried green tomatoes w/ lemon aioli) good. I hope it becomes a permanent part of the summertime rotation.

Yum. Unique combination. Was this a creation of Leah, the lovely and talented new kitchen manager at DF’s?

Liz and Harold, you scored a big win with Leah in the kitchen. :]

honavery

jennyw wrote >>
    Kyle and I took my dad and stepmom there for dinner tonight. Temp was just fine, and holy crap, was the whistlestop (fried green tomatoes w/ lemon aioli) good. I hope it becomes a permanent part of the summertime rotation.

I had a question about these “Twitter” dogs too. Is that just like a daily special? Or can you ask for those dogs at any time?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

honavery wrote >>

jennyw wrote >>

I had a question about these “Twitter” dogs too. Is that just like a daily special? Or can you ask for those dogs at any time?

I’m pretty sure they’re just daily specials since they usually have one or two toppings on them that aren’t on the regular dogs menu that they probably have to whip up especially for those days. But it never hurts to ask. :)

jennyw
    Participant

osulew wrote >>

honavery wrote >>

jennyw wrote >>

I’m pretty sure they’re just daily specials since they usually have one or two toppings on them that aren’t on the regular dogs menu that they probably have to whip up especially for those days. But it never hurts to ask. :)

If memory serves, some of the daily specials have gone on to be permanent additions. I’m thinking that was the case with the Original Onion, for instance.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

jennyw wrote >>

osulew wrote >>

honavery wrote >>

jennyw wrote >>

If memory serves, some of the daily specials have gone on to be permanent additions. I’m thinking that was the case with the Original Onion, for instance.

Yep…Puff the magic popper started as a special too.

Ooooh…and my wish for the next menu update is that Liz and Co. add a variety basket in the sides category…maybe for like 5 or 6 bucks…a mix of fries/tots/rings big enough for 2 to share…not totally a full serving of fries or tots and then just like 4 rings thrown in there. We can never decide what side we want, but we’d explode and barf if we ordered full orders of all those. Know what I’m sayin?

Ugh. Gotta stop typing. Shouldda had more than a buh-nanna fer breakfast.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

honavery wrote >>

jennyw wrote >>

We tweet and post on Facebook our “Dog of the Day”. We got calls every morning asking what our daily special is so we began tweeting it each day. We run them until we run out of the ingredients, they usually last a day. Often, if it’s run on a Friday, we’ll run it through the weekend. If we have the ingredients in house, we’ll be happy to make it for you if you have missed the special, just ask your server.

Yep, our biggest sellers end up as new menu items so be sure to let your server know if you like one and we’ll try to bring it back for you.

Chef Leah & Chef Alex are the Dirty Frank’s Dream Team of new hot dog concoctions! I’ll get them on the variety basket idea. I love it. Except my dream variety basket would involve dipping pretzels into mac & cheese.

patient_zero
    Participant

I will go downtown early this afternoon before I head into work, in search of a Whistlestop.

Liz, I wants me a Whistlestop now.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

Yep, they are running the Whistlestop again today, it’s topped w/ fried green tomatoes & lemon aoili. I haven’t tried it yet but the reviews have all been good so far.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

lizless wrote >>
    my dream variety basket would involve dipping pretzels into mac & cheese.

Sometimes I dream about dipping myself in mac and cheese…but that’s like a whole other thing…

somertimeoh
    Participant

Damn, now I want a pretzel :(

Apparently DFs was the home of some American Idol contestants last night.

Really pissed I missed that.

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 783 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE