Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dirty Frank's Hog Dog Palace

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Dirty Frank's Hog Dog Palace

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 783 total)
  • Author

shmack

i’m very fond on gary seman’s reviews. his judgments tend to be fair and his palate is well traveled. of all the reviewers around town, this guy seems to have a firm grasp of parsing flavors while eschewing excess adjectives. and not to mention, because we writes for thisweek news, it seems like his readership is more along the outerbelt and isn’t pressured by other agendas (locavore trends/downtown vibrancy/publisher gossip/whatever they may be). anyways, i trust the dude’s palate and he’s never given poor advice.

Cookie

Coreroc wrote >>
    Just for the record the dude’s name is seman! I think he should write for Outlook STAT!

Speaking of high school.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Meh. Some people just don’t dig mac and cheese. I don’t think the review was bad. I lurve DF’s, but I’ve still had a dog or two I don’t like either…that’s why there’s so many…bound to not dig a couple.
    But.
    Dude.
    I guess this cat and I will never be friends…
    “Bizarro moment: A 24-ounce can of Pabst Blue Ribbon. Does anyone really want — or need — that much PBR in one can?”

I’ll take it in the can as much as I can get it buddy.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

You’re so saucy…

As soon as I read that PBR line, I knew you would have a reaction. It’s like he’s trying to kick your dog.

Columbusite

deraj1013 wrote >>
    Uh oh. Looks like everybody doesn’t love Dirty Franks.
    ThisWeekNews Review

Actually, the comments on that review were much more negative. I’m pretty sure I would have noticed if the mac and cheese was glue-like.

Silverman515

The fire on the Rhine hot dog is topped with a Asian infused sauerkraut mix, the main ingredients are sauerkraut and red chili paste.

greenhouse1014
    Participant

So, maybe I’m a food idiot, but since we’ve got the famous Alex visiting us now, can someone clue me in to the fried leeks. I got them the first time I ate there and I have to say I felt like an idiot sitting there trying to figure out how I’m supposed to be eating them. Do you eat the whole thing, just the white part, should I have been using a fork or is it finger food. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but they just confuse me in their fried deliciousness.

HeySquare
    Participant

I had the same question.

joev
    Participant

I peel off strips along the whole length of the leek and eat the whole thing. It’s finger food – silverware would be really difficult for someone with my level of coordination.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

greenhouse1014 wrote >>
    You’re so saucy…
    As soon as I read that PBR line, I knew you would have a reaction. It’s like he’s trying to kick your dog.

I know. What’s the deal with him. Not only do I need that much PBR in a can…I’m likely going to order like 3 more.
    Eeesh.

jennyw
    Participant

joev wrote >>
    I peel off strips along the whole length of the leek and eat the whole thing. It’s finger food – silverware would be really difficult for someone with my level of coordination.

This was my method as well.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

Although I also must disagree with the review when it comes to the PBR, I think he was right on with a few other things.

I also found the baked beans to be rather bland. Similarly, I was not a fan of the Seoul Dog either. I can’t say I’d recommend it to anyone, regardless of how they feel about kimchi generally.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, I didn’t think his review was all that negative, and I agree with a few things as well… I wasn’t a big fan of the mac & cheese, but that’s probably because Anne makes some killer baked mac & cheese at home and I’m spoiled on that. And I don’t drink beer, so any amount of PBR is too much PBR for me. That being said, I’ve found the the certain things I like at DF, and those items are awesome. No one has to be totally in love with every single thing on the menu to enjoy the place.

So yeah… no need to run the dude out of town with pitchforks for speaking his honest opinion. Tastes are subjective, right? Give the guy a break.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I enjoyed my recent trip to Dirty Franks, and I’m a HUGE fan of mac & cheese… and no offense, I really wasn’t a big fan of Dirty Frank’s offering. It tasted like a gooey mouthful of melted Velveeta cheese to me.

My favorite in town is actually from Hoggy’s. I’m pretty sure there is cottage cheese & sour cream in mix, along with good sharp cheddar. Their chili-mac is also a very yummy variation.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 783 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION