Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dirty Frank's Hog Dog Palace

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Dirty Frank's Hog Dog Palace

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 783 total)
  • Author

enzo
    Participant

Who painted the longboard and other skate decks?

harold
    Participant

enzo wrote >>

Oh, all of the artwork, sans one Michael Jackson portrait found at a yard sale, is the work of Elizabeth’s brother, Thom Lessner; he’s the one in the guilded frame near the enormous Hall and Oates.

Thom lives in Philadelphia these days and, in addition to being a prolific artist and helluva sweet guy, has a band called, Sweatheart.

For more of Thom’s stuff, check out his website at:

http://www.thomlessner.com

Have you seen the “hidden” David Lee Roth yet?

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I went and chowed last night.
    Fantastic as always.
    I ate waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.
    Shmack’s bro took the title for the night though…three dogs and an order of mac and cheese. And he cleared his plate before any of us. I was impressed.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

harold wrote >>

enzo wrote >>

Oh, all of the artwork, sans one Michael Jackson portrait found at a yard sale, is the work of Elizabeth’s brother, Thom Lessner; he’s the one in the guilded frame near the enormous Hall and Oates.
    Thom lives in Philadelphia these days and, in addition to being a prolific artist and helluva sweet guy, has a band called, Sweatheart.

I’ve not seen the hidden “Diamond Dave” yet, but I have been meaning to ask where Prince disappeared to..

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

Ha. I was hoping to see some folks I knew, looks like I missed the onslaught :(

lifeliberty
    Participant

harold wrote >>

is that who is on the back of the board? I couldn’t tell who that was.

harold
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote >>

harold wrote >>

enzo wrote >>

I’ve not seen the hidden “Diamond Dave” yet, but I have been meaning to ask where Prince disappeared to..

Prince had to leave for rehearsals; he’s playing in Monaco tomorrow:

http://prince.org/msg/12/315633/Prince-to-play-Monaco-on-August-13

Besides, we need time to better protect the area at the end of the hall where he and the bus tubs live.

Teaser: Dirty Frank’s has double-secret surprises for everyone! The prototypes were met with unanimous approval which prompted immediate full-scale production; hundreds of units are being hand-assembled by Oompa-Loompas in our Clintonville fun-factory right now and will be ready very soon!

catnfiddle
    Participant

I’ll see you tonight, Harold!

greenhouse1014
    Participant

I went yesterday evening and made my friend bring his son. He (the son) said that its new new favorite place ever. Had a soggy bun (hate when that happens) and was given a fresh replacement bun on request. Started at the bar, moved to a table, which at some restaurants is a problem, but at DF, no problem.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I was gazing around at the decor, thinking how it looks a lot like my college dorm room, and how big of an artist crush I may be beggining to have on the artist, and how authentically it feels like a big-city, neighborhood hole-in-the-wall, when I noticed the one missing element: 40+ years of stale cigarette smoke, haha.

Not that I’m suggesting such a thing, even if it were legal.

When I first moved to Columbus, I got this really weird feeling from the downtown area. It was like… everyone had been busy at their office job in the 70’s, and then one day, they just never came back from lunch break. Just sort of… a creepy abandoned feeling, with a frisson of pleasure at peeking into the windows of so many empty storefronts filled with old, weird stuff from god-knows-when. I actually made a lot of art about it, that looks… a lot like the art in Dirty Frank’s.

So yeah… getting that feeling from the DF’s decor, turned inside-out into something lively, comfortable and neighborhood-sustaining. I really like it. Then again, apparently I’m far from being the only one!

Oak
    Participant

Sorry I’ve been away from the discussion for a couple of days, work did call – but I kind of feel like I need to defend myself a little bit.
    First, I served food in high school and college. I also managed a bar in college (anybody remember Woody’s in the old Ohio Union?)I also worked with the catering staff at OSU catering many, many events. So based on my experience in food service, i’m in a pretty good position to offer an opinion on the level of service at other places. It’s specifically because of this experience I often cut servers a break – i know what its like to have an off night and be in the weeds. So for me to complain about something means it had to have been really off. As far as the split ticket? 5 people, 2 couples only 3 tickets. Not a big deal. I’ve been a server and I’ve split up a lot more tickets. If you just ask “Will this be on one or seperate” at the start it’s a lot easier.
    Secondly, the reason I didn’t complain to management on the spot is because I didn’t want to make a scene in front of my friends. I was more concerned about their expereience than my own issues with the service. I brought them to DF’s and I felt responsible for their experience there. While I never ever would be rude or loud when voicing my complaint – the person I was speaking to would be absolutly clear on the nature of my concern. This is sometimes embarassing to people who aren’t used to complaining. So in order to save them from that – i choose not to complain then and there.
    Lastly – I did try and communicate to DF’s directly via their website. There is not a “contact us” button giving any way to contact the mgt staff via email. Could I have called? Yes. Why not? Because I prefer email documentation of my concerns.
    Now – for those of you who think that I’m just boo-hoo’ing in public and don’t like the place – this is just plainly inaccurate. I’ve been there twice before. The first meal that I took my bf to when he got back from Europe was DF’s. I hadn’t seen him in 10 weeks (he was gone when DF’s opened) and I wanted his first meal back in the states to be something new and exciting that I liked; so I took him to DF’s. We sat at the bar, had good and friendly service and I was happy.
    I REALLY want this place to be good (it is) and I want people to flock there in droves. I support (both in spirit and in dollars) everything that Liz does and I want this to be another success and create even more raving fans for her.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I don’t see too many issues with that.

That said, I think the general comments and critiques fit very well here. It offers something more to the owner than a standard, publicized review can do.

I would tend to agree that the more serious complaints should be handled privately first, with a public follow up of how (if at all) management took care of it. Why not approach a manager, explain the situation and ask for a business card w/ email to follow up?

harold
    Participant

I want to give props to Columbus’ own Cory Piehowicz for the centerpiece on the photo-wall honoring our finest! Cory has been roaming the northwest territory adding to his already amazing body of work; see some of it here:

http://banditphotographer.blogspot.com/

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

harold wrote >>
    I want to give props to Columbus’ own Cory Piehowicz for the centerpiece on the photo-wall honoring our finest! Cory has been roaming the northwest territory adding to his already amazing body of work; see some of it here:
    http://banditphotographer.blogspot.com/

Great stuff. Very inspiring.

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

ooops, dp

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 783 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: