Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dirty Frank's Hog Dog Palace

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Dirty Frank's Hog Dog Palace

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 783 total)
  • Author

lifeliberty
    Participant

Had a T dog, it was good, I think the untoasted buns are fine. a pretzel bun would be the upgrade I’d be looking for(like with TT Pot roast Sandwich)

didn’t like the cheese on the bacon and cheese fries, it tased like Cheese Whiz which doesn’t taste very good. there’s definitely better melted cheeses around. but if DF if going for the hipster trailer trash cheeze whiz ‘coolness’ factor, I guess keep it on the menu, I just won’t be ordering it ever again.

Oak
    Participant

I hate to report it – but I had a terrible experience at Dirty Franks on Saturday night – so bad in fact that i’ve been looking for Liz L’s email address so I could shoot her a quick note to let her know.
    I do have a frame of referance – I’ve been to the DF at least twice, but I took a group of friends on Saturday night. None of them had been there, except for me, and I was anxious to show off the place.
    Our waiter was either high, drunk or just an idiot. Hopefully it was both of the former and not the latter because I hate to make fun of people’s intelligence. First, one of my friends asked him about the price of a drink because it wasn’t clear on the menu – instead of telling him, the waiter went off to order it! *strike one* We ordered our food – hot dogs and sides all around. About 5 minutes later – he came back to the table and said “I’m sorry – what did you have? I can’t read my own hand writing” *strike two* Our hot dogs finally came out, but we were missing two sides of onion rings; he hadn’t ordered them! *strike three* Then about 5 minutes later only one side of onion rings came out, the other never arrived *strike four* On top of all this, he never came back to check on the food, nor offer any more drinks – I had to flag him down for another round. *strike five* Lastly – the bill came. It was all on one ticket and we were so frustrated with the experience, i just paid for it all so we could leave. The next time I go to the DF I’m just going to go alone. That way, if the service is bad, i’m the only one who has to be upset and not all of my friends. I hope Liz can bring this place up to par with Bettys/TipTop/SurlyGirl!

Trame
    Participant

That’s strange, we just went for lunch again last week and the bartender took our order, then came back 5 minutes later and said “sorry I can’t read my handwriting, what did you have?” Didn’t catch his name, but he was a blonde guy, probably about 5’11”.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Yeah I’ve only been once but it was with a larger group and the service seemed to really struggle with the seven of us. I’d not consider this a place to go with a larger group.

Edit: dogs and drinks were excellent though!

Coreroc

I sent liz a message to reference this post. Can’t say I have had any issues with service at all and have been there 2-3 times a week.

lifeliberty
    Participant

well, the service we had was good and bad. Lunchtime about 1230pm

bad: we entered and sat down. it took about 10 minutes for anyone to acknowledge us and say “I’ll be with you in a minute.” This happened while it seemed some of the (young)workers stood around kinda clueless. Even if you can’t wait on a person right away it is good to acknowledge their presence and let them know you haven’t been forgotten. that’s just good customer service.

good: Once we were greeted, service was good. the waitress we had seemed to know her stuff and I think she might have come from another LL joint because she looked familiar.

Oak
    Participant

Coreroc wrote >>
    I sent liz a message to reference this post. Can’t say I have had any issues with service at all and have been there 2-3 times a week.

Thanks for forwarding on my post to Liz – I support her 110% and the only reason i’m complaining is so she can fix the issue and be even more successful! Nothing can kill a good restaurant concept faster than bad service.

kessler
    Participant

Went last night, had 2 dogs now i’m 1/2 way down the menu, reaching for the end of the list. ;-)

As far as service, seems the place is always hoppin and i’ve yet to have to wait any unreasonable amount of time. for either service or food. But I always sit at the bar which might have something to do with it.

Coreroc

@lifeliberty If you seated yourself I could understand the confusion as the servers my be waiting for a hostess to assign the table to one of them.

lifeliberty
    Participant

there were 2 tables open and they told us to pick one of them. if there was a hostess, that person didn’t make themselves noticable, it really seemed like everyone working was wait staff.

somertimeoh
    Participant

What’s the typical grace period given to a new place to work through these types of issues? Even the worst service possible at DF’s couldn’t even come close to being as bad as the typical service at some of the neighborhood favs – I’m looking at you Bodega. Is it the high expectations that are leaving people disappointed? I couldn’t be happier with my experiences, but I’m kinda biased.

Coreroc

Gotcha! that sounds like room for an improvement and if you were addressed upon entry there should have been no confusion.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

I’ve had a couple SUPER minor hiccups here and there at DF’s, but nothing that I wouldn’t just chalk up as figuring out the ropes in a new place. The servers have always been very nice and taken care of any problems rapidly.
    I’ve still never really had any problems at Bodega that bother me. La Fogata stands as the true winner of long running restaurant ineptitude. I have no idea how they continue to be so abyssmal. Some nights there are as many servers as there are occupied tables, and they still cannot ever get their shit together.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I think it’s because you rarely fetch your own drinks at Bodega. If we’ve got a Hot Carl, I’m OK. Otherwise it makes me want to poke my eyes out. And yes, LaFogata wins worst service in the hood award and will continue to every year they are open. Wish Liz or Carmen or SOMEONE would just take that place over. Food is fine, just needs some FOH mgmt to get things on the right track.

The Wayfarer
    Participant

Along with toasted buns, I think warm, melted cheese sauce instead of cold shredded cheese would be a great improvement. This occurred to me while enjoying the Timmow recently. It was good “as is,” but I found the contrasts of texture and temperature in the cheese to be a bit off-putting. Some melty goodness would have taken it to a new level.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 783 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: