Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dim Sum in Columbus?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Dim Sum in Columbus?

This topic contains 131 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Columbus1340 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 132 total)
  • Author

DavidF
    Participant

Don’t forget to report back! I don’t think there is such a thing a too many good dim sum options.

tornangel012
    Participant

Daz wrote >>
    I’m completely fiending for Dim Sum right now. Any more ideas out there for a place I can gobble down some serious Shumai?

Not Dimsum but excellent crab Shumai is General Tso’s on Godown and Bethel behind Panda Inn

squid
    Participant

Sadly for me I’ve been traveling like a fiend for the past several years. But I’m surprised no one has mentioned Shangri-La on Cleveland. (across from vance’s)

It used to be the BEST dim sum in town. period. A true hole in the wall, with no caucasians in it, where the chinese folks came for dim sum from hours away. Hope it’s still there and like that. Used to be impossible to get a table on a Sat. unless it was an OSU gameday. Sunday was always better. My brother and I were regulars all through the 90s and early naughties.

patient_zero
    Participant

squid wrote >> I’m surprised no one has mentioned Shangri-La on Cleveland. (across from vance’s)
    It used to be the BEST dim sum in town. period.

Oh, I think it’s still in business. I’ve always been really hesitant to go in there. Afraid is more like it. No one in town has mentioned they still offer dim sum, so I guess I need to call them now that you’ve got me excited.

Here’s my experience with Little Dragons, not too far away on Morse Road.

Dim Sum at Little Dragons Chinese Restaurant

DavidF
    Participant

I loved Shangri-La. I had heard it was closed. If it is still open, it is a little hole in the wall, but the dim sum was great. (Esp. if you went with Chinese speakers, or weren’t afraid to ask questions about the items that were listed only in Chinese)

DavidF
    Participant

Oh, I posted this on the Little Dragons thread, but my gf and I are looking for people who would like to go to dim sum as a group. (more dishes to try that way) Let me know if anyone is interested.

patient_zero
    Participant

@squid – I tried called Shangri La today and there was no answer. When I head south on Cleveland Avenue I’ll swing by and see if there is a posting on the door.

I also read on the net that Panda Inn on Bethel Road offers dim sum. I called to confirm. They offer a dim sum buffet for $10.95, no bustling carts anymore. The regular menu lists jellyfish, as well as jellyfish heads. Where’s Columbusite?
    http://www.pandainncolumbus.com/catering.html

@davidf I’ll be up for dim sum after the holidays! PM me any time. Sundays are usually best, but I sometimes work on Sundays, just depends.
    I also like to go out for Chinese New Year, but try to be in Cleveland for the “reunion Dinner”. This year it’s Valentine’s Day as well, so Chinese restaurants should be exceptionally busy.

Rastapasta

Joy’s Village is not bad at all (and has a good selection) and is very affordable! The menu is super super extensive, with tons of stuff and secret/special menus!

At one point though they were trying to sell shark fin dumplings which is highly dubious at best, lol.

citygal

Imperial Garden on Bethel Rd also offers a buffet style dim sum. Both Imperial Garden and Panda Inn are good alternatives to the surly cart pushing ladies experience, in my opinion :).

Cart-wise, Lee Garden > Sunflower. Service has always been less than acceptable on the weekends at Sunflower. Packed to the gills is one thing, but being brusque and rude to the customers is another.

patient_zero
    Participant

citygal wrote >>
    Imperial Garden on Bethel Rd also offers a buffet style dim sum. Both Imperial Garden and Panda Inn are good alternatives to the surly cart pushing ladies experience, in my opinion :).
    Cart-wise, Lee Garden > Sunflower. Service has always been less than acceptable on the weekends at Sunflower. Packed to the gills is one thing, but being brusque and rude to the customers is another.

Thanks for your additional insight into Central Ohio’s dim sum scene, citygal. Nothing would ruin a yum cha (dining experience) for me more than brusque or rude service. For in Cantonese, dim sum means “heart’s delight”, and anything other than cordial service sours the whole yum cha. In those cases, I can see how a buffet would be a better dining experience than rude cart service. So I just read about Panda Inn’s buffet, but didn’t know about Imperial Garden’s. The small price tag is worth the try. But I’m still itching to give Sunflower and Lee Garden a try.

lisathewaitress
    Participant

i gotta say, Panda Inn has had a few too many serious health code violations for me to eat anything from a buffet there …. and i’m usually pretty forgiving.

patient_zero
    Participant

lisathewaitress wrote >>
    i gotta say, Panda Inn has had a few too many serious health code violations for me to eat anything from a buffet there …. and i’m usually pretty forgiving.

That’s good to know. I didn’t check the health department site yet, but it was on my short list. http://www.decadeonline.com/main.phtml?agency=COL

That’s why I’m not a fan of our older Hibachi-style restaurants here in Columbus (Fujiyama, Japanese Steakhouse). Too many cross-contamination, dirty surface, and dirty utensil issues. A bloated stomach after a night of teppanyaki is not my idea of pleasurable dining, or an afternoon of dim sum.

DavidF
    Participant

I’m freakin dying for some dim sum now. re: surly service. I have never had anything but friendly service at Lee Garden.

I am so jonsing char siu bao right now it’s ridiculous. I need to learn how to make them.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

My wife and I tried Sunflower’s dim sum a few weeks ago per all the glowing reviews here and I have to say I was a little disappointed. The service and atmosphere were excellent, the menu was extensive and the dim sum was good –but hardly exceptional. Maybe I just got spoiled by growing up on Sun Ton Luck back in the good old days.

patient_zero
    Participant

kitoba wrote >>
    My wife and I tried Sunflower’s dim sum a few weeks ago per all the glowing reviews here and I have to say I was a little disappointed. The service and atmosphere were excellent, the menu was extensive and the dim sum was good –but hardly exceptional. Maybe I just got spoiled by growing up on Sun Ton Luck back in the good old days.

Thanks for these comments on your last dim sum experience, because I’ve been eager to dine there as well. So I’m wondering (having never been to Sun Ton Luck), what would have made the food exceptional – flavors, presentation, texture – or all that and more? Is it an easy fix or is it more in depth than a little tweaking?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 132 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.