Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Did the Taco Bell by Chipotle in Grandview close?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Did the Taco Bell by Chipotle in Grandview close?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author

ricospaz
    Participant

TailgateJeff said:
    For what it’s worth, this Taco Bell was originally built as a Zantigo and was converted to a Taco Bell in 1986 or 1987 when the Zantigo chain was bought by PepsiCo from RJR/Nabisco.

I ate a lot of Zantigo lunches when I worked in the Grandview area. While Taco Bell is pretty much a late night drunken indulgence, Zantigo was a solid choice for a decent fast food meal.

One other interesting fact: It was built on the site of a theatre.

Zantigo was so much better than Taco Bell…

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

TailgateJeff said:
    For what it’s worth, this Taco Bell was originally built as a Zantigo and was converted to a Taco Bell in 1986 or 1987 when the Zantigo chain was bought by PepsiCo from RJR/Nabisco.

I ate a lot of Zantigo lunches when I worked in the Grandview area. While Taco Bell is pretty much a late night drunken indulgence, Zantigo was a solid choice for a decent fast food meal.

Zantigo is alive and well in Minnesota. The owner to this day fills overnighted orders to Columbus, especially around OSU football season.

mrpoppinzs

ricospaz said:
    One other interesting fact: It was built on the site of a theatre.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

for real?

mrpoppinzs

vestanpance said:
    for real?

It closed in 1977…

http://www.cinematour.com/tour/us/19340.html

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

groundrules said:
    Karma.

Too much Fourthmeal.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

bayrea said:
    One of the main reasons fast food restaurants get torn down and rebuilt in the exact same spot is because they have been so overrun with roaches that the only option is to knock it down and start over…. something to think about the next time you get your 4th meal.

What is your source of this information?

GCrites80s said:
    I don’t like how they changed the chicken. It has less flavor now.

You mean the “chicken.”

Dotson

Why did Taco Bell do away with the XXL nachos, those things were excellent, of course without the guac and the pico.

futureman
    Participant

It’s Official – Closed till mid-summer due to renovation

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/03/cool-ranch-doritos-locos-tacos-make.html

In one of life’s cruel twists of fate, the Taco Bell at 1312 W. Fifth Ave. closed last week. The good news is that it will reopen. The bad news is that it’ll be months from now. A Taco Bell spokeswoman told me that the franchised restaurant is being renovated and is expected to be re-opened this summer.

GCrites80s
    Participant

The building has been razed.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Click to access 11310-00496%201312%20West%205th%20Avenue.pdf

Shockingly Taco Bell requested variances to the UCO.

bucki12

joshlapp said:
    http://bzs.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Building_and_Zoning_Services/Boards_and_Commissions/Zoning/Board_of_Zoning_Adjustment/Meetings/2011/Active_Cases/11310-00496%201312%20West%205th%20Avenue.pdf

They are looking to get the same parking lot and drive thru as they had before, and I doubt the 5xNW Commission will fight them on it.

I am willing to bet they wouldn’t have torn it down if they thought there was a risk.

It would be great to see more projects like the proposed Wendy’s on campus, but this Taco Bell probably does 90% of its business through the drive thru.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    They are looking to get the same parking lot and drive thru as they had before, and I doubt the 5xNW Commission will fight them on it.

I am willing to bet they wouldn’t have torn it down if they thought there was a risk.

It would be great to see more projects like the proposed Wendy’s on campus, but this Taco Bell probably does 90% of its business through the drive thru.

I don’t disagree, and the design is already better than most fast food resturants in the area. My point is that Taco Bell (or any other national chain) isn’t going to go the extra mile on design unless forced to do so.

Desirable communities are ones that force better design (Dublin, New Albany, Short North, German Village). Areas that accept the status quo almost always get it. If 5xNW wants to distinguish itself it can use opportunities such as this to push for better design, even if that means accepting the proposed variances in exchange for enhanced architecture.

leftovers

5th Ave in Grandview is such a car oriented mess. I really hope someday people start standing up to the developers.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

joshlapp said:

Why are we supposed to be shocked or disappointed?

This is hardly a unique position for an existing property owner to take.

A new building benefits the area more than an older junkier building.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: