Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Did Barack Obama Save Ohio?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Did Barack Obama Save Ohio?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

drew
    Participant

NYT article with a photo collage of Columbus and an interview with mayor Coleman (page 8&9):

Did Barack Obama Save Ohio?

By MATT BAI

Published: September 5, 2012

The way John Kasich sees it, he is fulfilling a grand design, a mission for which he was chosen by God, to save Ohio. “It’s like what what’s-his-name told the hobbit,” Ohio’s Republican governor told me as we flew on the plane that ferries him around the state. “What’s that guy’s name? Gandel? Gandorf?” A pair of young aides seated across from Kasich called out helpfully over the drone of the engine. “Gandalf,” Kasich repeated. “Do you remember what he told the hobbit?”

READ MORE: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/09/magazine/ohio-economy.html

Graybeak
    Participant

I found it kind of funny that it opens with an interview with Kasich on a plane. Given the other story about the auditor’s report.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Interesting read.

M.O.
    Participant

Barack and John have helped, much as it pains people on both sides of the polemics to see those two names together. John’s welcome to quit posturing as the only fiscal hero here now that his state airplane taxi service has been outed. He can start working with the Big O and turn the bigger O around quicker yet.

(Fridays are for dreaming).

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Just saw the article in print. It’s actually an even better advertisement for Columbus than online. On the cover of the magazine is “Way to Go Ohio” over a picture of the Columbus skyline.

Although the article looks at Obama and Kasich’s competing claims of having saved the economy, if you read to the end, the article strongly suggests that Ohio’s success is largely Columbus, and that Columbus’s success is largely Coleman –not Kasich or Obama!

It’s definitely not a tourist oriented article –but if I was Coleman, I would have it bronzed!

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Wow.. that’s outstanding.

I only read the online version of the article but it was very interesting. We are lucky to be in a place that’s doing well enough that politicians are claiming it’s *their* fault. Usually politicians are blaming the other side for our situation. Personally I think both sides have done things that have helped.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE