Messageboard - Events Outside Columbus

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

DEMF 2009 (Movement) May 23rd-25th

Home Forums Events Events Outside Columbus DEMF 2009 (Movement) May 23rd-25th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

scottlitch
    Participant

theme_winner_banner2.jpg

The lineup has been announced:

[url=http://http://demf.com]DEMF website[/url]

Coreroc

I am actually excited about the DEMF this year. I have a solo art show in Detroit at the same time and hopefully it will allow for some columbus folks to drop in and check out the work and Lift Gallery in the dirty D.

honavery

Ooooooh, Carl Cox. Nice.

enzo
    Participant

OMFG………I am listening to Carl Cox right now…..Detroit even closer than Ultra Fest. He is really really really amazing.

Jason Allen

Heck Yeah!!

Can’t wait!

enzo
    Participant

You guys I wish we could all get an RV and go together and have CU sponsor the trip!!! ;)

BRITE

I’ll be there. Is Movement the festival event like Ultra for WMC?

michaelcoyote
    Participant

I’d be down to see Mike Huckaby, Carl Craig, KMS, Los Hermanos, FlyLo, Rick Wade, Marco Carola and Derrick May.. I’d probably see Ellen Allien, Afrikaa Bambatta, Adam Bayer, Z-Trip and RJ if they weren’t up against one of the guys I listed first..

Not a bad lineup I guess…I’m kinda wondering what the after parties will be like.. With the exception of the first year, it’s been all about the after parties for me..

Anyone here go to the 2000 DEMF? I had to have my running shoes on all three days. It was awesome and it sucked cos I would have to chose between two or three great shows…

shmack

Anyone have recommendations on where to stay? In downtown or not?

scottlitch
    Participant

BRITE wrote >>
    I’ll be there. Is Movement the festival event like Ultra for WMC?

I’d say that DEMF is totally unique. It’s a 3 day noon to midnight festival. I also think Heart Plaza is a more interesting venue than where they throw UMF. Not to mention it’s in Detroit, the birthplace of Techno! Expect the music to be more of the Detroit persuasion.

shmack wrote >>
    Anyone have recommendations on where to stay? In downtown or not?

I’d stay as close to Heart Plaza as possible.

scottlitch
    Participant

[img]http://draconum.net/drac/images/hart_plaza.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://media.timeoutchicago.com/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/169/169.x600.clubs.demf.prev.photo2.jpg?[/img]
    [img]http://www.demf.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/movement08-hartplaza.jpg[/img]

scottlitch
    Participant

The pyramid stage is cool and I love how the beatport stage faces the water and has a huge grassy area outside of the tent.

honavery

I stayed in Dearborn last year, and that was way too far away. I would def. stay as close as you can.

naps

See you all in Detroit!!

HOTELS

Atheneum Suite Hotel
    1000 Brush St.
    tel. (313) 962-2323
    This luxury hotel is located in Greektown, a short walk from the DEMF.

Courtyard by Marriott Downtown Detroit
    333 E. Jefferson Ave.
    tel. (313) 222-7700
    A more affordable option close to Hart Plaza.

Marriott Renaissance Center
    Renaissance Center and Jefferson Ave.
    tel. (800) 228-9290
    This huge 73-story tower offers 1,300 rooms and 52 suites, many overlooking Hart Plaza, site of the DEMF.

Pontchartrain Hotel
    2 Washington Blvd.
    tel. (313) 965-0200
    Located across the street from Hart Plaza, this is as close as you can stay near the action.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Close is good as others have mentioned, but keep in mind that a huge part of DEMF are the after parties, and most of these are all over the city..

Buses aren’t really feasible, and there are no trains (Person Mover notwithstanding), so to get to these you’ll need to drive.

Make sure you factor overnight parking into your budget. In some places this can be a pain if you valet or park in one of the big garages and it’s 9pm and everyone is trying to get out at once to go to some after hours

I’ve stayed out side the city every time I’ve been and drive in and it’s not really too bad to street park if you don’t mind walking more than a few blocks.

I almost always stay out in Royal Oak (or Ferndale) either with friends or in hotels as there are plenty of nice restaurants (that aren’t packed with ravetrash) and other things to do (like hanging out, running into old friends and cratedigging at Record Time).

The the upshot of this is that there are usually a lot of good afterhours are out that way.

On the flipside, I have friends that have stayed downtown and liked it.. Also you may want to consider staying in Windsor.

Dearborn is closer, but it seems like the traffic is worse and there’s not as much cool stuff to do.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘Events Outside Columbus’ is closed to new topics and replies.