Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

decline of blogs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

RhondaH

This became the subject of our late night gathering and I think it is becoming pronounced. At one time I followed many blogs but (CU withstanding) this has whittled down to just a few. Twitter,reddit,facebook and instagram have garnered the top positions. As a younger millennial I see a marked decline. With the advent of more instant media is ‘the blog’ becoming passe? Is it time versus content? Anyone hazard a guess as to web (media) 3.0?

buckette13

Blogs are here to stay. They are the online equivalent of magazines. People still buy printed ones.

The things that are changing are how we get what is important to us. Everything is going to mobile devices and people want customized content. They don’t want to have to sift through an ancient newspaper style format of stuff that doesn’t relate to them. The future is a smarter web that just feeds information from multiple sources without having to go hunt and peck for it. The home page used to be a favorite website that had what you wanted. That isn’t the case anymore.

JonMyers
    Participant

I also agree that blogs are here to stay.

What is dying is formulaic blog posts and content. There’s a saturation of the 450 word posts, the list posts, the “why you shouldn’t do x posts, review posts, infographics, and so on.

With more and more people adopting tablet devices, there’s a growing market for better researched, long form content.

The blogs with more staying power may likely better serve this audience with long form content, and be the source, the mini-university for their respective niches.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

“Blog” is a pretty broadly used term.

On one end of the spectrum, a blog can be a personal online journal that can be about any topic or nothing at all. This kind of blog can be about your lunch, your daily activities, or your cat. The rise of this came through livejournal and blogger and other similar platforms. I think many of these types of blogs have died out with the advent of social media, as it’s become easier to deliver this type of personal content through channels like twitter and facebook and tumblr.

On the other end of the spectrum, a blog can be a professional news website with multiple contributors and a more serious or topical tone/focus. These types of blogs have thrived with WordPress, Joomla and other types of CMS software. The Huffington Post technically falls into this category, though many would consider it to be much more than just a blog. These types of news/professional outlets have also added a social media presence, but it’s more of a distribution channel to help get their message to users of twitter and facebook and drive traffic back to their original website where longer content can be consumed.

Obviously, there’s also a lot of gray area in between, as those are just two extremes on the spectrum.

I think when you use the word blog, most people think of the top description rather than the bottom, which is why I rarely use it myself to describe CU (also, half of CU is a messageboard, and not a blog anyway). I do agree that many personal/amateur/journal blogs seem to have died out over the years, which I can prove with my collection of dead RSS feeds from sites that stopped updating. But professional news sites mostly seem to be thriving.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

which I can prove with my collection of dead RSS feeds from sites that stopped updating

Some things hold true for a long time, back in 1996 I attended a conference where one web design session stressed that sites need to have fresh content, or people will stop visiting.

billbix

It wasn’t that long ago that everyone I knew had a blog of one type or another. There were some good ones on local food and history I remember really liking. It seems to have dropped off but maybe that is more the nature of things as you go through life.

I agree that news blogs are different as they are forced to be topical or die. New content is probably the most important aspect of a blog. The one thing though is most seem to have some pov or tone which tends to hurt them.

BCNation
    Participant

I believe that Blogs are the future, to piggyback on what everyone else has said. Blogs are a key way to market companies, or even yourself (as long as it’s in good taste).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: