Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Dead space behind Hyde Park on the Cap

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Dead space behind Hyde Park on the Cap

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    edg126
    edg126
    Participant

Does anyone know what the deal is with the dead space behind Hyde Park on the Cap? It seems like such a waste of valuable space. Could be a great space for food trucks, pop-up restaurants or maybe a basketball hoop would fit. It would be awesome to fill in that space with something more valuable to the community.

bayrea
    Participant

Yeah basketball hoop. “Tonight on Action News, 20 car pile up on 670 eastbound due to stray ball.”

Nancy H
    Participant

Lots of things were considered… no idea if any will happen. Things like green space, tables and chairs, artwork. Odd space to keep green things living and equally odd for tables and chairs, considering the problems the SN had with the concrete sofa art piece near 5th & High.

goldenidea
    Participant

^LoL! …well, I suppose they could install a very tall fence to keep the ball action up on the Cap!

How about a community garden and reading area… using recycled old half bourbon barrels for planters?

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Would be a great place for public art or community space.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

I always wondered why they built that space in the first place. It must have been planned for something.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I think that space exists because they needed to build 2 rectangular bridges over 670 in order to keep the street grid intact. It’s just a result of how the streets are angled that results in the dead space. You can see this pretty clearly from Google maps. There wasn’t a way to avoid it, unless you wanted to design some kind of cantilever, which I’m sure would have been way more expensive.

That said I wish we could find a better way to use them. I always thought just a green lawn with a picnic table or 2 on top would be a huge improvement. I just don’t know if it could handle all the weight of the soil. If not some public art and a few planters would be nice as well.

welkstar
    welkstar
    Participant

Those triangular spaces had to be built that way in order to support the portion of Park St & W Goodale going over the highway. However, they are not structured in such a way to support any development on top of them. From what I understand, those platforms aren’t really meant to support much of anything really. Also, there are many parties involved in the new “land” created by the Cap bridge (Short North, Downtown, ODOT, Italian Village). So any movement on restructuring/developing those platforms would be a nightmare; who pays for what, who has jurisdiction, who makes decisions, who owns it, etc.

ohbr
    Participant

I’m pretty sure any or all entities involved should be easily able to handle deciding on planters or something small to be more aesthetically pleasing without it being a nightmare. I’m sure that could easily handle a series of simple planters (think around the Capitol Square) and maybe even some of those large triangular shade screens and then again on the NW corner facing the park.

In a related note, has there been any update on the ideas for sculptures on top of the cap buildings?

Nancy H
    Participant

I am pretty sure the City of Columbus owns the cap and leases it to Continental Real Estate Companies, who in turn lease the retail/restaurant spaces. Not sure who has review powers though, since 670 is used as the boarder (IV, VV, Downtown commissions) and we are talking about something sitting on top of 670.

Would be nice if the City did something to the dead space that tied in with the dead space that will be in front of the parking structure on the east side of High. As Welkstar said, it was not designed for a structure or even parking.

I am a bit leery of tables and benches. On the surface, that sounds like a nice place for lunch. But, in reality it would become a hangout for panhandlers and the homeless. Not exactly an inviting/attractive image for visitors diagonally across the intersection from the convention center.

Nice spot for some public art though.

Eugene_C
    Participant

I always wondered why they built that space in the first place. It must have been planned for something.

I think it was initially supposed to go all the way across the freeway and be developed, but that would have created a “Tunnel” which is subject to all kinds of special maintenance and regulations, and certain kinds of traffic can’t go under it. So they had to put in a cut-out to keep it from being a “Tunnel”.

scottlitch
    Participant

Public art is a great idea for this space.

ohbr
    Participant

I don’t really buy in to the idea that it wasn’t built to hold anything. much of the dead space is directly in line and sharing the same beams that hold Goodale St designed for traffic and traffic with parking in front of Goodale Park. This is where they also park trucks, trailers, etc for festivals. They very likely either made it all with the same capacity as the main intersection or made the main intersection stronger and the other sections (you can see each tunnel divided into sections) at the very least, road grade. I highly doubt they varied the holding capacity of the structure by every several feet based on how much road was on it. At the very least, it’s all vehicle grade structure so if the widest portion of the dead space has the smallest portion of road, it should still be able to handle anything that has been suggested. Art, planters, benches and tables, bike parking (the last 3 of which already exist) should all be within the limits.

And yes, Eugene is correct on the space. It allows natural ventilation under the Goodale Cap and the High St cap without it being a tunnel subject to restrictions, maintenance, ventilation, and fire suppression.

ohbr
    Participant

I am a bit leery of tables and benches. On the surface, that sounds like a nice place for lunch. But, in reality it would become a hangout for panhandlers and the homeless. Not exactly an inviting/attractive image for visitors diagonally across the intersection from the convention center.

The area in general is a hangout for homeless and panhandlers. In fact, those benches and tables that are there tend not to have panhandlers compared to the ones around North Market or anywhere up and down High St. I don’t really see where any of the suggestions are a potential threat to the city’s image any more than what visitors experience today. Our homeless situation in the area really isn’t an issue to me and I don’t think it would be with beautification of the cap.

goldenidea
    Participant

Don’t panhandlers tend to hang out where there are a lot of people traffic, or near food pantries or carryouts? As it presently is, the cap area is pretty devoid of foot traffic much of the time, so not many people to panhandle. I suppose bums might try to sleep there if benches were added, but it’s pretty exposed to the elements, not shaded and concealed, as preferred. Could always install a few tables & benches and see how it goes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: