Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

de NOVO Bistro and Bar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining de NOVO Bistro and Bar

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeliberty said:
    the 2 above reviews are the reasons I typically avoid all openings, tastings, promotions, etc…you will normally have a much better time just going on a normal night while getting better service and paying for your food(at regular price)

+1

Totally fair to be disappointed that a special event didn’t satisfy as planned, but I don’t think it’s worth posting a negative review.

Similarly, a positive review of a special event wouldn’t be doing the regular dining experience any justice either.

Andrew Hall

WalkerTotally fair to be disappointed that a special event didn’t satisfy as planned, but I don’t think it’s worth posting a negative review.

I agree that it is not totally fair to judge a restaurant completely by a special event. But if a business takes your money, then they should be held accountable for the result.

A.

groundrules
    Participant

Andrew Hall said:
    I agree that it is not totally fair to judge a restaurant completely by a special event. But if a business takes your money, then they should be held accountable for the result.

A.

shit was free, no? dude said “paid for my ice tea and left”.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Walker said:
    +1

Totally fair to be disappointed that a special event didn’t satisfy as planned, but I don’t think it’s worth posting a negative review.

Similarly, a positive review of a special event wouldn’t be doing the regular dining experience any justice either.

I don’t mean to say anything bad about the restaurant. The decor was beautiful and the restaurant seemed like it would be great. I would blame the whole thing on Crave/Alive. When you “win” a ticket to something you would typically assume that you were actually going to get something.

The poster above and I weren’t the only two that experienced the same thing. Another group that thought they had “won” walked out with my group. The staff seemed similarly confused.

Chalk it up to my own stupidity but I didn’t expect to spend $80 on an event that I “won” a ticket to. It was obviously deceitful of Crave/Alive to advertise this as a contest where you were going to win something. If I had wanted to go eat there on a Monday night I would have made a reservation.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah it was free… but the bar/drinks weren’t, I spent gas money to get there, paid the meter, yadda yadda. I dont really care about that cash as any other restaurant wouldn’t reimburse me for gas or meters, but the point was that the ticket was nothing more than a ploy to lure me in to buy something at regular price – a standard bait and switch. Which as joshlapp said, I wasn’t prepared to drop $80 on a random Monday night dinner when I was led to believe it’d be free. Just seemed a little… dirty.

I’m glad that those who have gone had a good experience but it definitely put a bad taste in my mouth for the restaurant. Everyone goes through growing pains, but this was an after-thought. Considering it was sponsored by Crave and Alive, I thought they might put a little more effort into it. Oh well.

News
    Participant

DISH: De Novo
    Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 11:45 am
    BY MIRIAM BOWERS ABBOTT

The operators at De Novo Bistro have been rocking the urban cool scene for a couple of years now. Prior to this, however, they’ve been doing it in a suburban setting. Their Vonn Jazz Club has been a staple in Worthington’s Crosswoods area since 2009. Before that, they ran anther Vonn operation up on Dublin-Granville Road.

Now De Novo brings all this urban coolness into an actual urban environment-Downtown. As at the related projects, the style in décor leans hard toward fancy. Gilded branches hang from the ceiling; white tablecloths hang on the tables.

READ MORE: http://www.theotherpaper.com/food_and_drink/reviews/article_8c10bfea-1205-11e1-ab74-001cc4c03286.html#.Tsa6wRyhWBk

lifeliberty
    Participant

Tried calling on Monday morning to order up some eggs benedict about 10am. the call went to voice mail. hours stated 9am-10pm, hope they still do breakfasts, but I don’t know if they get much of a breakfast crowd.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

We went over the weekend and had an amazing lunch!

We shared:

Kobe Beef Sliders with smoked gouda, caramelized shallots, chipotle aioli, $12 some of the best sliders in town, period.

Crab Cakes with saffron whole grain mustard aioli, $10 really unique take on the traditional cakes, including the unique shape of them and some seasoning that I wouldn’t identify that really jazzed them up.

Five Spice Shrimp Tempura with warm orzo salad, sweet thai chili drizzle, $9 the shrimp with the orzo salad together worked really well.

All of them were very good and we’re looking forward to going back.

Pablo
    Participant

Couple close Far North Side jazz supper club to concentrate on new food-only venture in heart of Downtown
    By Denise Trowbridge
    For The Columbus Dispatch
    Tuesday December 20, 2011 11:03 AM

Yavonne Sarber is co-owner of De-Novo Bistro, 201 S. High St. “We wanted to be Downtown in 2012,” Sarber said. The De-Novo Bistro is a new beginning for owners Yavonne and Wade Sarber. That’s one reason the name seems appropriate. De novo, loosely translated, means “a new beginning” or “a fresh start.”

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/business/2011/12/20/starting-afresh.html

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Finally checked out this restaurant and was very impressed. The service was average, although they were very busy. The food however was phenomenal! The five spice shrimp tempura with warm orzo salad was the bomb, as was the short rib with sweet potato gnocchi with that hint of maple syrup. The lobster truffle mac and cheese was divine, etc. Excellent experience and will return, A+.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

Nice!
    We totally raided that place over the holiday break for breakfast. Hit ’em up 3 times in a matter of 4 days for breakfast, each time as equally satisfying as the previous.
    Chef Rob’s Sausage Gravy & Bicuits was one of the best breakfast’s I’ve had. And I thought Skillet’s version couldn’t be beat. I was wrong.
    Egggs Benedict with 2 nice plump crab cakes, on top of 2 english muffins and of course the poached eggs, for only 10 bucks! salmon was also an option. And the griddle hash that accompanies the breakfast are perfectly cooked chunks of potato, onion and spices.
    So now my main go to spot for breakfast has some competition.
    Plus no long lines!

Fsonicsmith
    Participant

I am sorry for sounding contrarian about a place that I have not yet tried, but sheeeeittt, why do we Columbusites put up with the most cliche of dishes after everyone else save the folks in Minnesota, Kansas, and Oklahoma have long grown weary of them? Sliders, crab cakes, and lobster mac-n-cheese are tired as hell. I guess, to answer my own question, the restaurants feature this stuff because we Central Ohio-ans are not exactly adventuresome and our local proprietors don’t like taking risks either, or can’t afford to. Personally, if I want to step back in time I go to The Top or The Clarmont. But otherwise, I expect something a bit more current than sliders, crab cakes, or lobster mac-n-cheese. Leave that crap for TGIFridays, O’Charleys, Champps, and their ilk.

honestlyinsincere
    Participant

Had an amazing butter bibb salad with carrot and butternut squash soup. Service was good! Definitely going back, the decor is superb (save for the presumably homeless man asking our waiter if he could use the restroom). Love the LeVeque tower theme throughout.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

FSonicSmith said:
    I am sorry for sounding contrarian about a place that I have not yet tried, but sheeeeittt, why do we Columbusites put up with the most cliche of dishes after everyone else save the folks in Minnesota, Kansas, and Oklahoma have long grown weary of them? Sliders, crab cakes, and lobster mac-n-cheese are tired as hell. I guess, to answer my own question, the restaurants feature this stuff because we Central Ohio-ans are not exactly adventuresome and our local proprietors don’t like taking risks either, or can’t afford to. Personally, if I want to step back in time I go to The Top or The Clarmont. But otherwise, I expect something a bit more current than sliders, crab cakes, or lobster mac-n-cheese. Leave that crap for TGIFridays, O’Charleys, Champps, and their ilk.

I agree many of those dishes are safe, perhaps so to appeal to a wide variety of palates or those more accustomed to Champs. But you know what? I honestly I don’t mind…if that’s the price to be paid for the rest of their original menu then check, please!

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

But it’s not that they offer crab cakes, it’s that they take them to another level.
    Kobe Beef Sliders with smoked gouda, caramelized shallots, chipotle aioli – don’t think you’ll find those on the menu at Friday’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE