Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

de NOVO Bistro and Bar

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining de NOVO Bistro and Bar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author

patient_zero
    Participant

Amongst numerous local Halloween parties and events this week, de NOVO opened their doors on High Street downtown, across from the recently constructed Columbus Commons. Wade and Yavonne Sarber’s newest creation is sure to add vibrancy to our recently blossoming downtown, offering fine food and local spirits, served by and impassioned staff, in a unique space tastefully decorated with local art.

This year I ditched my costume and parties for a nice evening at de NOVO, and it was a memorable night of fine food, music and conversation with staff and fellow diners. I encourage anyone and everyone to visit for breakfast, lunch or dinner over the next few weeks to check out this beautiful space, and savor Chef Robert Harrison’s delightful culinary creations.

Will the bartender mixed me a cocktail that was in the back of his mind, and it a great way to start the night – OYO Vanilla Vodka with Domaine de Canton (ginger liqueur), sour mix and a splash of soda.

I tried a sampling of chilled small plates hot small hot plates, all happy hour pricing before 7:00pm : Lobster White Prawn Martini, Five Spice shrimp Tempura, Braised Boneless Short Rib, and Chef’s Risotto. And in a moment of culinary curiosity, I also ordered the Lamb Belly Bánh Mì with truffle fries and triple smoked ketchup. Each dish was intensely complex and delicious, with many layers of flavor. Food this good comes for a talented and inspired mind, and I am delighted to welcome Chef Harrison and his staff to the downtown dining scene.

Enough with my chatter. Here’s some photos of my delightful evening. More here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157628001322332/

6290377639_2d5bc5d87d.jpg

6290334999_a389a828cc.jpg

6290844688_370b97af0c.jpg

6290354841_15db149b4b.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nice PZ! Thank you for sharing; you’ve never steered us wrong before. Look forward to checking out the lamb belly.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

The space looks beautiful. I can’t wait to check it out. Great photos, PZ!

DavidF
    Participant

Nice review! I just wish you hadn’t taunted me by texting me pictures of the delicious food as I was stuck at work nibbling on a Pop Tart!

:)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Very nice! Thanks for sharing! :D

DavidF said:
    Nice review! I just wish you hadn’t taunted me by texting me pictures of the delicious food as I was stuck at work nibbling on a Pop Tart!

:)

agreed, except substitute pop tart with halloween candy.

BradyKonya
    BradyKonya
    Participant

So glad to have Novo down by the Commons. Looking forward to a visit.

patient_zero
    Participant

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone! What a great addition to the burgeoning downtown dining scene, adding to what others, like Liz, have opened in the last few years.

Yavonne was a gracious host Friday night, and her staff were just as warm and welcoming. I look forward to my next visit.

Look forward to various musical performances over the coming weeks. Friday night was Jimmy McGee. His deep, slightly raspy vocals and acoustical guitar reminded me of Keb Mo, and nicely complimented the dining experience.

They have a unique collection of spirits that may interest some CU regulars, like a bottle of Blanton’s and a full line up of locals from Middle West and Watershed.

@Brady – OYO Whiskey and ginger ale matched well the rich, complex flavors of the heavier dishes, like the short ribs.

I forgot to mention in my initial post, for anyone looking for a private dining space, Yavonne has a separate and beautiful dining space in the back called the Tiffany Room. You can view some photos on my Flickr page. This can accommodate upwards of 60 people, and adds another great dimension to downtown group dining, be it a rehearsal dinner or business lunch.

de NOVO Bistro and Bar
    201 S. High St
    614-222-8830

http://www.denovobistro.com

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeliberty
    Participant

menu looks amazing, especially since I can gets eggs benedict on the way to work from the parking garage. can’t wait to try this place.

JonMyers
    Participant

We went last week. I really enjoyed the space, and thought it was beautiful. It’s one of the most interesting, well designed, yet warm restaurant spaces I’ve seen in Columbus in a long time.

The range of selection on the menu was excellent, the service was great and the food was tasty.

I would definitely go back.

One complaint. The music. When we came in bad 70’s/ 80’s metal was playing and continued the entire time. To add to it the music was playing on tinny, crappy speakers, which was surprising given the other attention to details in the space. We almost got up and turned right around and walked out. Rush’s “Living in the Limelight” and Def Leppard’s “Pour Some Sugar On Me” don’t really complete the experience for a meal at that price point in a space that nice.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Went last night with a friend for the private small plate tasting party with tickets I won through Columbus Crave. I’d been looking forward to this all week and spent almost an hour in crappy traffic to get down there and park. My friend had recently attended the Rossi tasting and was so excited to go to De Novo’s since she was hoping for a ton of tastings and even a cocktail or two like she had at the Rossi.

I really wish I could write a better review, but we had a horrible time at this particular event. The venue is absolutely gorgeous, there’s no doubt about that – but being invited to a tasting event and served three tiny, passed crostini options that no where near resembled their small plate menu was so disappointing. I’m not sure if this was Crave’s issue or De Novo’s, but this was a really bummer first impression. There was a rock hard piece of bread topped with bland chopped lobster, another cracker with pesto and aioli and a random piece of plain chicken, and some kind of risotto fritter that was raw in the middle and tasted like nothing.

After asking the server what the plan was for the evening, they let us know that that was all they had to offer, that there was obvious miscommunication about the event and they had heard other guests say how disappointed they were as well. OH, and would we like to go ahead and order an entree at the price listed in the menu? No, we wouldn’t. We thought this was an event where we would be served at least enough to pass for a small dinner while trying out their new menu.

I paid for my iced tea, left a tip for the servers and got up and left with my friend to head to Rigsby’s. I wish them well and would love to give this place another chance sometime, but I’m no where near interested in doing that any time soon.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

15Step said:
    Went last night with a friend for the private small plate tasting party with tickets I won through Columbus Crave. I’d been looking forward to this all week and spent almost an hour in crappy traffic to get down there and park. My friend had recently attended the Rossi tasting and was so excited to go to De Novo’s since she was hoping for a ton of tastings and even a cocktail or two like she had at the Rossi.

I really wish I could write a better review, but we had a horrible time at this particular event. The venue is absolutely gorgeous, there’s no doubt about that – but being invited to a tasting event and served three tiny, passed crostini options that no where near resembled their small plate menu was so disappointing. I’m not sure if this was Crave’s issue or De Novo’s, but this was a really bummer first impression. There was a rock hard piece of bread topped with bland chopped lobster, another cracker with pesto and aioli and a random piece of plain chicken, and some kind of risotto fritter that was raw in the middle and tasted like nothing.

After asking the server what the plan was for the evening, they let us know that that was all they had to offer, that there was obvious miscommunication about the event and they had heard other guests say how disappointed they were as well. OH, and would we like to go ahead and order an entree at the price listed in the menu? No, we wouldn’t. We thought this was an event where we would be served at least enough to pass for a small dinner while trying out their new menu.

I paid for my iced tea, left a tip for the servers and got up and left with my friend to head to Rigsby’s. I wish them well and would love to give this place another chance sometime, but I’m no where near interested in doing that any time soon.

I had the exact same expirence, except that us and the group next to me got only 1 sample because by 7:00 apparently they were out. This was perhaps the most misleading “sampling” event ever. I’m also fairly certain that the intent was to mislead as the “ticket” (which was basically a reservation for you to pay full price) mentioned that you would be sampling their dishes and there will be a cash bar, implying that you won’t be paying for food. The look of the restaurant was beautiful but I’m not willing to spend $80 on a unplanned Monday night trip. Also just as a note my “winning ticket” came from Columbus Alive.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I don’t know if I’d be too judgemental yet based soley on a “plate tasting event” compared to a regular night out. Events can get hectic sometimes with the service and food suffering. That being said, it’s no excuse. It should have been planned better. I’d go back on a random night when business is at its usual and then see what you think. The cooks and servers should be back in their normal rhythm. Either way, hope to check it out soon.

lifeliberty
    Participant

the 2 above reviews are the reasons I typically avoid all openings, tastings, promotions, etc…you will normally have a much better time just going on a normal night while getting better service and paying for your food(at regular price)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE