Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 177 total)
  • Author

drew
    Participant

squid said:
    Hmm I tried not to post in this thread, but perhaps I can kick over all the personal nonsense with a couple of comments. Just some daily observations….

You’ve hit at the heart of it – NOBODY is paying attention.

I don’t live particularly close to campus (in south VV) but even when I go up to King Ave. on Neil to cut across to 315, I see such a complete lack of attention to even basic driving/biking/pedestrian common sense that it beggars belief. It’s almost always someone listening to music or texting. Amazingly, I’ve even seen cyclists texting! And then there’s campus itself. Not being associated with the OSU, I can foresee no reason to venture into it that is compelling enough to overcome the absurdly high chances of getting into a serious accident.

It amazes me how handheld technology can turn our traffic into that of a 3rd world country. I’m with you – carpet bomb the greater campus area with tickets for every infraction, both minor and major.

GCrites80s
    Participant

All this need for constant visual stimulation is going to hurt driving and sprawly areas in the future. Spending hours a week driving past identical Olive Gardens, Meijers and office parks over and over again won’t do it for them when they get out of school.

squid
    Participant

We’ve kicked around the idea of taking cell photos and creating an OSU “Highway 17 page of shame” equivalent. (google it and hit the wayback machine if you don’t know what that was) I’ve got one or two from today already :(

S

drew said:
    You’ve hit at the heart of it – NOBODY is paying attention.

I don’t live particularly close to campus (in south VV) but even when I go up to King Ave. on Neil to cut across to 315, I see such a complete lack of attention to even basic driving/biking/pedestrian common sense that it beggars belief. It’s almost always someone listening to music or texting. Amazingly, I’ve even seen cyclists texting! And then there’s campus itself. Not being associated with the OSU, I can foresee no reason to venture into it that is compelling enough to overcome the absurdly high chances of getting into a serious accident.

It amazes me how handheld technology can turn our traffic into that of a 3rd world country. I’m with you – carpet bomb the greater campus area with tickets for every infraction, both minor and major.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Side note – when I was driving the Cushman on campus, I learned to treat a newly-stopped campus bus as a stop sign, kind of like the way you don’t pass a stopped school bus. Consider the scenario: The bus stops and passengers get out, and I’m about 5 – 10 seconds behind. They have just enough time to get out and walk around the front of the bus to cross the road without looking, and step into my lane. So I would pull up and stop at the front of the bus, and more than once some pedestrians came around the corner, clueless.

I’m wary of a stopped COTA bus in the same way. It’s a blind spot and people generally don’t realize that not seeing something does not mean that nothing is coming.

GCrites80s
    Participant

Indeed, I just wound up driving on that 2 lane end of Cannon Dr. and encountered a COTA bus last evening. I was like “hmm, what do I do here? (I didn’t go to OSU; the schools I went to didn’t really have roads on campus) I just defaulted to school bus mode, but was tempered to go into Livingston Ave. mode.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

was tempered to go into Livingston Ave. mode

Turn on the wipers?

GCrites80s
    Participant

Nah, just go around the bus ’cause of all the lanes.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

nurlip said:
    I have heard that the student’s mother is probably going to ‘pull the plug’ soon… are we banning bikes now?

A friend who wishes to remain anonymous informed me that this is untrue. He said that the student is doing well, sitting up and talking.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

biking with earbuds in is dumb.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It’s illegal to drive a car while wearing headphones of any kind in Ohio.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Walker said:
    It’s illegal to drive a car while wearing headphones of any kind in Ohio.

ya maybe I should add.

biking with earbuds in is dumb

driving with earbuds in is dumb

NerosNeptune
    Participant

flying with earbuds in is not dumb

MRipley
    Participant

vestanpance said:
    ya maybe I should add.

biking with earbuds in is dumb

driving with earbuds in is dumb

crossing a street with earbuds in is dumb

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    flying with earbuds in is not dumb

QFT

AlanBarber
    Participant

don’t get me started on people with poor biking practices.

I drive through hilltop every day. You wouldn’t believe the number of times I’ve seen guys with their pants half down their legs, riding a bike that is too small for a 6 year old let alone a grown adult and texting/talking on a phone while they ride down broad street.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: