Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 177 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

ricospaz said:
    This might work for a small campus (IE Otterbein) but it would never work for a campus as big as OSU. Deliveries, etc.

Exceptions can be made. I think my point is around the infrastructure in place supporting the density. Great example is the light at Woodruff coming out of campus: left turn green to turn onto High at the same time pedestrians get a walk light to cross High in the path of turning traffic.

I think at this point you’re right…maybe not for OSU. At least with the private parking coming aboard. I just wonder if there is larger picture beyond cracking down at the individual level and doing more to build for the density.

bjx
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Jesus. You’re just a troll, aren’t ya? Thanks for proving that point so firmly…….If you nearly hit her carrier, this means you were turning so tightly to her back wheel as to already be a safety hazard to her. It’s pretty clear who the asshole is in that situation.

If I remember correctly, the mother in question rode past me on my passenger side while I was waiting to make a right turn. I saw her in my rearview mirror, so I patiently waited for her to pass. However, I was also on High St. and I was holding up traffic so I was anxious to get out of the street. I could not have seen the baby carriage prior to making a right turn because in my passenger side-mirror only her bloated physique and fatso head were visible (she obscured me from seeing the carriage which below her and not at eye level). I let her pass and started to turn right then only noticing that she had a baby carriage attached to her rear wheel lagging behind her. Had I been a second or two less patient I would have hit her baby unintentionally. Thankfully, as I previously stated…

bjx said:
    I treat all bicyclists like toddlers and look out FOR them when I am driving.

A variety of factors all played their part: my impatience (and subsequent patience), moving traffic, her linebacker’s build blocking her child from frontal view of my side-mirror, the baby carriage not being at eye-level and time of day. I then lectured her not to alleviate my guilt but to let her know the inherent risk of a 2000lb car vs. a baby’s soft skull. That is what you don’t seem to appreciate. But, hey its OK. Abstract thinking is the sole realm of men so I wouldn’t expect you to worry your pretty little head with all that physics n’ stuff.

Twixlen said:
    It’s pretty clear who the asshole is in that situation.

Me a troll? Anger is often the response when one’s logic no longer prevails. How dare you insult the intelligence of CU and point out the obvious! However, I do take affront to you calling that cycling-mother an asshole, maybe myopic and oblivious to her surroundings sure, but please refrain from using obscenities needlessly…its not ladylike.

rus
    rus
    Participant

bjx said:
    Me a troll? Anger is often the response when one’s logic no longer prevails. How dare you insult the intelligence of CU and point out the obvious! However, I do take affront to you calling that cycling-mother an asshole, maybe myopic and oblivious to her surroundings sure, but please refrain from using obscenities needlessly…its not ladylike.

Well played, good sir!

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

However, I was also on High St. and I was holding up traffic so I was anxious to get out of the street.

Filtering to the right (filtering up in general) is illegal and dangerous, so she’s in the wrong. But you’re attitude here is why we have issues on the road (all road users, lest rus claims anti-car bias), too much impatience. Even if she is illegally crossing or passing, all it takes is that extra 10-30 seconds for her to fully cross. Do you try to slide between pedestrians when they cross as you turn because traffic might be inconvienced all of 30 seconds?

News
    Participant

Accidents ‘galvanized’ 241 jaywalking and biking citations near Ohio State campus
    By Kristen Mitchell
    Published: Thursday, September 13, 2012

Yifan Gu was hit by a cyclist last week, and after a string of accidents, it was a final straw for the Columbus Division of Police. Columbus Police Precinct 4 Commander Chris Bowling said recent safety implementations were “galvanized” by Gu’s accident, which occurred outside Chumley’s on High Street Sept. 6.

Last weekend, Columbus Police began cracking down on pedestrian and bicycle safety, and Bowling said they issued 241 citations in the University District area that were a “combination of jaywalking and bicycle violations.” Citations were issued last Friday and Saturday nights by the campus walking crew, a Columbus Police bicycle force, who patrolled the High Street area.

READ MORE: http://www.thelantern.com/campus/accidents-galvanized-241-jaywalking-and-biking-citations-near-ohio-state-campus-1.2900875#.UFNmXUI9ldw

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I noticed a CPD Task Force van parked by the Wexner Center. There are a few police officers and a bunch of people handing out flyers to people walking by around all the places where this stuff is the worst (along High between Lane and 15th, College Ave & 17th)

Didn’t get a flyer but I did get commended for riding on the street and wearing a helmet..

leftovers

Are they ticketing people for biking on the sidewalk? I did not see that specifically mentioned and plenty of people were still doing it yesterday.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I’m wondering the same thing.. but considering the police ride their bikes on the sidewalks, I doubt that is something they will crack down on.

ricospaz
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    I’m wondering the same thing.. but considering the police ride their bikes on the sidewalks, I doubt that is something they will crack down on.

Ha I’ve always wondered about that. They always do.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Having spoken with CPD, OSU and other bike officers I believe their position is that the nature of bike patrol requires them to be on the sidewalks- interaction w/ general public, slow speeds and scanning as hazards on road. That’s not to justify the action ony part, I do have issues.

We also allow officers in official duty to do things we can’t do. I’ve seen CPD and CFD travel against traffic on a one way on a response. You also have to consider that bike patrol officers are specifically trained to ride in heavy pedestrian traffic.

nurlip

howatzer said:
    Eh, mix hoards of students on bikes, students in cars, and students walking, add in smart phones, booze, and a rapidly changing maze of construction and it’s wonder they’re aren’t more problems.
    We should be celebrating the fact that no one’s been killed.

ETA: The minute someone does die, we should obviously ban bicycles.

I have heard that the student’s mother is probably going to ‘pull the plug’ soon… are we banning bikes now?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

nurlip said:
    I have heard that the student’s mother is probably going to ‘pull the plug’ soon… are we banning bikes now?

From the article it sounds like the cyclist was in the road and not doing anything wrong. Very sad story.

News
    Participant

After more than 450 tickets, Columbus Police not finished with jaywalking crackdown
    By Michael Periatt
    Published: Thursday, September 20, 2012

The crackdown on jaywalking and bicycle violations along High Street is far from over. In fact it will continue “minimally for the next couple weeks,” according to a member of the Columbus Division of Police. After issuing 241 tickets in the University District Sept. 7 and 8, Columbus Police followed up its increased enforcement the next weekend with 226 tickets in the same area.

READ MORE: http://www.thelantern.com/campus/after-more-than-450-tickets-columbus-police-not-finished-with-jaywalking-crackdown-1.2907476#.UFxsPUI9ldw

squid
    Participant

Hmm I tried not to post in this thread, but perhaps I can kick over all the personal nonsense with a couple of comments. Just some daily observations.

I’ve walked, cycled, motor-cycled (cheap parking!) and driven around OSU since the late 1980s. Every single day I’m on campus I’ve seen the jaywalking and poor cycling. And some REALLY poor driving on everyone’s part of course. I have two offices @OSU one on main and one just off the west campus parking lot so I see a great deal of this every day.

Sadly modern technology has made the pedestrians thousands of times more likely to get hit. The kids mostly just aren’t paying a damn bit of attention now. Where they used to jaywalk mostly safely across most of the roads, now they do it while chatting on the phone, texting or listening to music in-ear (or both) and this has had an amazingly deleterious effect. I don’t know if there is an easy solution to this. Every single day I see several near-misses involving students and the buses, let alone other vehicles. Some days they just get a gentle bounce, others they spin off wildly. I’m saddened to admit that pools on this exist. Every single one had headphones in-ear. I see very few of the over-ear kids have issues. Doesn’t block as much ambient sound perhaps? Interestingly I see few (but not no) staff or faculty with this problem.

Cyclists are now the worst I’ve seen in over 25 years here. It’s been heading this way for a long while. And sadly the faculty and staff are every bit as much, and in many cases more so, to blame as anyone. I’m frankly shocked now when I see someone obeying traffic controls at all on their bikes. It amazes me there haven’t been MORE issues since the insane rise in construction. (37 separate place on-road on main campus this summer) Heck, I watched 10 older, obviously tenure-track gents and a student in front of me blow through the stop sign AND light just today. 2 caused near accidents with late students in a hurry to park. It’s completely out of control and give all of us on cycles a bad name. I actually yelled at one of them and threatened to talk with his dept. head as I knew who he was. I’m not sure how this started to go downhill, but we need to get this one fixed.

This one is simpler, and maybe even possible, to fix than the pedestrian troubles I observe. Ticket like fiends and get the university to involve disciplinary action for faculty and staff that are repeat offenders. There is zero reason for endangering folks lives because you are too damn lazy or in a hurry to stop. I don’t care if you’re clipped in, figure it out. Stop signs exist for a reason, as do the traffic lights. If you ride on the street you MUST follow the traffic controls. period.

The poor driving will never change. full stop. It’s sucked for years and will continue unabated forever. Frankly we need to ticket the people with headphones in, in car. It’s bad enough how many cyclists I now see with them in. But driving too? Unless there is a change to international drivers licensing that pulls down a tiny, tiny percentage of the poor drivers. (this I could actually imagine) I don’t foresee any major parking or road changes that the university or City is going to be willing to make that will move traffic away from the other forms of travel enough to make a difference. (Unless they expand the parking lots up on Ackerman and close on-campus lots and garages? Ahahaha!)

Someone needs to post the obligatory “Potshots” with Joe student as driver and pedestrian though. Good luck to us all.

S

Jeftrokat said:
    There were three or four serious accidents on campus involving cyclists and pedestrians this week. In some cases, cyclists were riding on the sidewalk. In others, pedestrians were jaywalking or crossing the street without looking.

OSU Student Hit By Dump Truck While Riding Bicycle[/url]

Two Bicyclists Struck in Two Days at OSU

Pedestrian Hit By Bicyclist In Third Campus Bicycle-Involved Crash[/url]

As a How We Roll[/url] tour guide, I strive to teach OSU students the importance of cycling in the roadway (not on the sidewalks) and obeying all traffic laws. OSU has the highest incidence of cyclist and pedestrian injuries of the whole city.

Group Urges Ohio State Bicyclists To Stay Safe After Crash[/url]

My question is: What is OSU going to do to keep pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers safe amid all the construction and traffic around campus?

byJody
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    Crashes, not accidents.

+1 yes I learned this distinction in my first days at Consider Biking, guess we need to help Dr Gee learn it too.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: