Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #513327
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    wygand said:
    A lot of these suggestions call for Police (Socialist Big Government) to step in and give out tickets (enforce regulations). Why not let nature (free market) take care of this problem? Lets remove crosswalks and bike lanes (job killing regulations). Eventually the strongest pedestrians, bikes and cars will learn to travel together more safely and efficiently than any laws could ever hope to accomplish (conservative anarchist utopia!!!!)

    FTFY ;-)

    On the other hand, what we really need to do is ban bikes from the OSU campus to encourage driving and, thus, parking fees. CABS use will continue to remain “free”, although tuition will have to be raised to cover additional expenses. Just as soon as the university figures out what those additional expenses are I’m sure they’ll tell you.

    #513328

    Josh T
    Participant

    rus said:
    FTFY ;-)

    On the other hand, what we really need to do is ban bikes from the OSU campus to encourage driving and, thus, parking fees. CABS use will continue to remain “free”, although tuition will have to be raised to cover additional expenses. Just as soon as the university figures out what those additional expenses are I’m sure they’ll tell you.

    Heh. “OSU institutes mandatory car on campus for underclassmen – Three new parkades going in to handle cars. Meanwhile, off-campus car-lot slumlords silently fume at Gee’s audacity.”

    #513329
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    Josh T said:
    Heh. “OSU institutes mandatory car on campus for underclassmen – Three new parkades going in to handle cars. Meanwhile, off-campus car-lot slumlords silently fume at Gee’s audacity.”

    Nice!

    “Biking banned on campus. Bike related accidents at all time low.”

    #513330

    cbus11
    Member

    I wished I had videoed the guy shooting oblivious through the SN Kroger parking lot this evening. I think the only thing that saved him was some fancy LED lights in his spokes.

    In perspective, I avoid driving it in my car.

    #513331

    Coy
    Participant

    Around 8pm I left campus (on my motorcycle) with two bikers in front of me a bit on High St.

    The first held the left lane to himself in the midst of fair traffic by failing to notice anything around him and swerving all over like a fool, handsfree half the time. Traffic was at a near standstill behind him, with three cars backed up and trying dangerously to get around, while buses compounded the problem. I had to wait for the other cars to get around to make my getaway, since I was concerned I’d get sideswiped by the drivers already ticked off at this dude.

    Once I got past that guy, the next one was in a full race crouch, but seemingly not moving nearly as fast as he looked like he thought he was going, and was equally oblivious to traffic and causing another unneeded backup. When I finally had a window to get by in the passing lane, I narrowly missed hitting him when he crossed from the left lane all the way over to the turning lane (via cutting me off just as I was accelerating), without the slightest bit of signaling, indication, or even cursory glance behind.

    Neither was wearing a helmet and only one had a small blinker light….

    #513332
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

    From a biker’s point of view, some drivers can be dicks too. I was commuting home on Oak Street yesterday. I came to the 4 way stop at 18th where Yellow Brick Pizza is. I was heading east. Some guy pulled up to the intersection in a battered old sedan heading south. He got to the intersection about the same time I did. I decided to play it safe and let him have the right of way.

    Unfortunately, this fool was turned to his right, leaning in that direction, and staring out his passenger side window. I do not know if he was talking to the passenger in that seat, talking to the guy on the corner in front of Yellow Brick, or just staring at Yellow Brick. I did not hear any voices. I waited for several seconds but this guy still did not begin to move. So finally, I did. Just as I start rolling he hits the gas and starts to accelerate. I never took my eyes off of him; he was still turned and leaning to his right looking out his passenger side window. And he didn’t just accelerate; he punched the gas to almost get a jack rabbit start. I pedaled hard to get out of the way.

    Since I was just a bicycle, I was able to get out of the way. If I had been in a car he probably would have collided with me. The idiot accelerated into an intersection without looking to see if anything was in the intersection. Fool.

    #513333

    labi
    Participant

    Coy said:
    The first held the left lane to himself in the midst of fair traffic…three cars [were] trying dangerously to get around, while buses compounded the problem.

    the next one…was equally oblivious to traffic and causing another unneeded backup….

    The swerving and lack of lights are bad, but the fact is that cyclists have every right to take the lane, regardless of whether the other users of the road feel that their perceived delay is “unneeded.” And it’s safer for cyclists to take the lane, because that is the ONLY way to prevent drivers from illegally attempting to slide by them in the same lane of traffic, which results in a terrifying number of close calls.

    I think everyone moving through/around campus just needs to re-adjust their expectations about how fast traffic “should” be traveling. It’s crowded, and it’s going to be slow. That’s just the way it is.

    #513334

    NerosNeptune
    Participant

    labi said:
    The swerving and lack of lights are bad, but the fact is that cyclists have every right to take the lane, regardless of whether the other users of the road feel that their perceived delay is “unneeded.” And it’s safer for cyclists to take the lane, because that is the ONLY way to prevent drivers from illegally attempting to slide by them in the same lane of traffic, which results in a terrifying number of close calls.

    I think everyone moving through/around campus just needs to re-adjust their expectations about how fast traffic “should” be traveling. It’s crowded, and it’s going to be slow. That’s just the way it is.

    That’s true but if he’s riding in the *left* lane slowly with no hands no lights swerving around being a dick, then he’s definitely being a dick.

    #513335

    Coy
    Participant

    Whoops. Neros is correct, I meant the “right” lane…

    And yes, I understand the concept of taking a lane as needed.
    I also know when someone is just being totally oblivious and a danger to everyone.

    #513336
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    I feel like if you’re a cyclist you really have to try to hit a pedestrian, or be a complete moron.

    #513337

    pixiecrinkle
    Participant

    You’d be surprised. I’ve had drunk pedestrians on game day wait until I’m too close to stop and then hurl themselves into the street in front of me while yelling at me to follow the rules of the road. I missed them both, but it was close, and unnecessarily dangerous.

    #513338

    mrpoppinzs
    Member

    Saw some sidewalk road rage on High between a cyclist and a pedestrian yesterday. It almost came to blows. He was biking on the sidewalk, a group of guys blocked him and made him dismount.

    #513339

    Coy
    Participant

    mrpoppinzs said:
    Saw some sidewalk road rage on High between a cyclist and a pedestrian yesterday. It almost came to blows. He was biking on the sidewalk, a group of guys blocked him and made him dismount.

    Yeah, I wonder if they will ever be able to work any of the tendency to ride on sidewalks out of the students… I get cutting across campus in an area like the Oval, cause it obvious and you can do it with relative ease, but the rest of campus and the spillover into the neighborhoods is bad.

    Plus, then you have the kids that can’t make up their minds and ride all over the sidewalk and streets with impunity, jump the curb right in front of cars to cross,then cut off some pedestrians on the other side, etc… and in every case they expect you to give them right of way.

    I can relate to the frustration those guys were feeling.

    #513340
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

    I rarely have reasons to go to the OSU area any more. Looks like I should just avoid it all together.

    #513341

    mrpoppinzs
    Member

    hugh59 said:
    I rarely have reasons to go to the OSU area any more. Looks like I should just avoid it all together.

    Wandered around there before the game last Saturday, it was free and the people watching was priceless…

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: