Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 166 through 177 (of 177 total)
  • Author

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Graybeak said:

Officers said that riding a bicycle through a crosswalk is a violation, and the cyclist could be cited.

Yeah, I had an incident like that in Dublin about three years ago. I was rolling into a left turn, north on Emerald Pkwy to west on Sheir Rings, no oncoming traffic, just a grandmother that led her kids, southbound, on bikes, into the crosswalk, against the light, directly into my path. I skidded to a stop before steering into the turn, and yelled, What the hell was that all about?

She did not appear to be pleased. Yet, her spawn presumably survives.

Cole
    Participant

Just a reminder, if you know any OSU staff or students who are interested in learning the roads of the road in a fun, instructor-led tour of Columbus, How We Roll[/url] is still being offered. My understanding is that riders have really enjoyed the route and it teaches them to ride in traffic, stop at lights, and follow all the rules while seeing cool spots of Columbus.

Plus, it’s a cool logo!

http://howwerollosu.com/

mrpoppinzs

Education is very important. I had a conversation with someone at the bar at the St. James several days ago where they told me that since bicycles are human powered they can constitutionally (yes, United States Constitutionally) go where anyone can walk or drive and that can’t be impeded on by local government. Basically bicycles are a super vehicle.

It was my eyes that were rolling, but I sure wasn’t able to make a dent in their perspective.

I did get a nice whiff of Guinness every time he said ‘human powered’ and he said it often.

mrpoppinzs

Just read the letter, I think selective enforcement of laws is a mistake.

The Oval will be established as a dismount zone for cyclists to begin a cultural shift on campus regarding which modes of transportation are safe and suitable for specific areas.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Education is very important. I had a conversation with someone at the bar at the St. James several days ago where they told me that since bicycles are human powered they can constitutionally (yes, United States Constitutionally) go where anyone can walk or drive and that can’t be impeded on by local government. Basically bicycles are a super vehicle.

It was my eyes that were rolling, but I sure wasn’t able to make a dent in their perspective.

I did get a nice whiff of Guinness every time he said ‘human powered’ and he said it often.

He was full of horseshit as you rightly guessed.

Bikes are subject to the same general traffic rules as every other vehicle but the right to travel under one’s own power is upheld in long standing legal precedent. That’s why a slow moving vehicle law can apply in different ways based on the type of vehicle.

leftovers

mrpoppinzs said:

The Oval will be established as a dismount zone for cyclists to begin a cultural shift on campus regarding which modes of transportation are safe and suitable for specific areas.

Wow, it reads ‘you can keep biking on the sidewalks, just don’t do it on the Oval’.

Cookie

mrpoppinzs said:

Haven’t there always been signs on the Oval saying that you’re not supposed to ride your bikes across it? Not that anyone ever paid attention to them.

leftovers

Even the limited enforcement does not seem to be too high on their priority list:

Bicyclists will be required to dismount and walk their bikes across the Oval, according to the email, which will be the first area where certain modes of transportation will be restricted.

“There will not be an enforcement officer on the Oval all the time. There will be periodic checks, there will be reminders, there will be education, and then finally we could cite people who ride their bikes across the Oval,” Kasey said.

Adams-Gaston said citations will be issued to students not following the new regulations. She said there will be some “opportunity for citation without a fee” but then they plan to enforce citations later that will come with a fee.

Kasey said the task force has met with the Department of Public Safety about how and when to start enforcement.

“It won’t be simply we’re writing tickets. It will be educational, getting groups of students, stopping students on bicycles, informing them on what the rules of the road are,” Kasey said. “But eventually, I don’t know if it will be two weeks from now or two months, but it will come that we will write tickets and that will get around quick.

Adams-Gaston said she expects the recommendations will take six months to be fully implemented.

http://www.thelantern.com/campus/safety-task-force-recommends-more-signs-education-1.2929200#.UH6onW_R7E0

News
    Participant

Rachel Stump looks forward to returning to Ohio State in recovery
    By Kristen Mitchell
    Published: Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Rachel Stump just wants her license back. The first-year student got her drivers license revoked after being hit by a car in an Aug. 19 drunk-driving accident that put her in a coma for several days. “They hold your license when you have a brain injury because they don’t know if you’re going to come out of it with the same abilities, so I’m going to retake my driving test on the 12th (of December),” Stump said.

READ MORE: http://www.thelantern.com/campus/rachel-stump-looks-forward-to-returning-to-ohio-state-in-recovery-1.2967673#.UMich0I9ksk

misskitty
    Participant

Just Reporting

Ohio State University: Student Struck By Dump Truck At Fault
    COLUMBUS, Ohio – A newly released report said that a student bicyclist was at fault when he was struck by a dump truck near an Ohio State University construction site on Woodruff Avenue.

According to the report released by OSU Police, 18-year-old Daniel James Hughes was riding his bike on the sidewalk on Sept. 5.

Riding bicycles on city sidewalks is a violation of Columbus city code.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/04/ohio-state-university-student-at-fault-when-struck-by-dump-truck.html

mrpoppinzs

Attorney: Ohio State University Student Struck By Dump Truck Loses Leg
    Wednesday September 26, 2012 5:28 PM

A teenager remained in critical condition after being struck by a dump truck while riding his bicycle. According to the teenager’s family attorney, Daniel Hughes, 18, lost his entire leg up to his pelvis after being struck on Sept. 5.

————————–

today’s article – Hughes suffered a broken leg and ruptured pelvis in the crash.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/01/04/ohio-state-university-student-at-fault-when-struck-by-dump-truck.html

News
    Participant

Cyclist Struck Near OSU Campus
    Thursday May 9, 2013 11:35 PM
    UPDATED: Thursday May 9, 2013 11:36 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Columbus Police are investigating a crash involving a cyclist and car near The Ohio State University campus Thursday night. It happened around 9:30 p.m. at the corner of Lane Avenue and High Street.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2013/05/09/Cyclist_Struck_Near_OSU_Campus.html

Viewing 12 posts - 166 through 177 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION