Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 177 total)
  • Author

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I think having them bike properly unless necessary (same as how they can drive the wrong way down the road if they really need to), and taking the time to explain to people they see riding illegally what they are supposed to be doing, would make a huge difference around campus. I haven’t really noticed much dangerous riding outside of the campus area,, some in the short north.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    This is a great point, what happened to leading by example?

What happened to taking personal responsibility and learning the right way?

I get why it appears bad but at the same time I’ve actually sat and talked with bike officers and can understand why they do what they do. Their job is focused on engaging with pedestrians. Could they enforce bike law? Certainly and I would love it. But justifying ones bad action based on what they saw is piss poor logic.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I bike on the sidewalk because I’ve seen toddlers do it.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

seeing police officers riding on the sidewalk next to other people riding on the sidewalk and assuming that its ok to do is definitely piss poor logic.

Anyway, the police/city must not see this as nearly as big of an issue as people complaining here and places like the old dispatch comments section make it out to be. Otherwise they would invest in some sort of reasonable infrastructure (unsafe bike lanes and completely worthless sharrows are just feel-good Newsweek Ranking getters) and enforce the laws. As it is, the police are saying do whatever you want, there are no laws when you’re on a bike.

DTown
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    Well I guess my little point is just wrong as I do not have the empirical data to back it up and my charts and graphs are not ready….

Sometimes little things make a big difference, get um off the sidewalk and bike by example. Try it and it might work, or argue and debate about peoples assumptions and how they act for the next 6 months.

Nothing to do with charts & graphs.

They aren’t on the sidewalk because they’re casually riding around, running errands or something. They’re doing police work, covering as much ground as possible, while remaining in touch with the people on and around the sidewalks. It’s their job to be there.

Same as mounted officers working crowd control on horseback. They aren’t there to teach people the proper way to ride a horse in an urban setting.

I’m not a cop, I don’t get to do what cops do. That seems fairly understandable, and shouldn’t require 6 months of debate to accept.

DTown
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:

Anyway, the police/city must not see this as nearly as big of an issue

In the big scheme of problems the police/city have, this is almost certainly true.

rus
    rus
    Participant

News
    Participant

Bike lanes could reduce accidents on Ohio State campus
    By Fawad Cheema
    Published: Tuesday, October 2, 2012

There have been seven bicycle-related traffic accidents on or near Ohio State’s campus this school year, a problem some students think could be solved by adding bike lanes and more racks on campus. Lindsay Komlanc, spokeswoman for OSU Administration and Planning, said the seven accidents occurred prior to September, and six of those accidents were collisions between bicyclists and vehicles, while one was between a bicyclist and a pedestrian.

READ MORE: http://www.thelantern.com/campus/bike-lanes-could-reduce-accidents-on-ohio-state-campus-1.2917691?pagereq=1#.UHrvaEI9ndD

paktinat

A north bound vehicle on high st had a completely smashed-in front windscreen by the pedestrian crosswalk just north of 15th. It looks to me that the vehicle hit a person as there was no noticeable bodywork damage and there was a stray baseball cap on high street covered in glass. a 10TV van was on scene.

bucki12

Just Tuesday afternoon, there was a report of a pedestrian hit on High Street near 15th Avenue at around 4:30 p.m. The victim was taken to the hospital in stable condition.
    Watch 10TV News and refresh 10TV.com for more information.

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/10/16/columbus-ohio-state-safety-task-force.html

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Bikes love to go the wrong way on Norwich. Today I had one roll into my lane from northbound Tuller (in itself a wrong-way) and I banged the brakes to a chirping skid-stop. I just watched the genius roll past my driver’s door, but I didn’t move until I knew he was out of my way.

Then, continue, and watch for the next one…

NerosNeptune
    Participant

paktinat said:
    A north bound vehicle on high st had a completely smashed-in front windscreen by the pedestrian crosswalk just north of 15th. It looks to me that the vehicle hit a person as there was no noticeable bodywork damage and there was a stray baseball cap on high street covered in glass. a 10TV van was on scene.

Is that the one crosswalk with no light? I really think that should be taken out. It’s very close to two other crosswalks that have lights, and I think it contributes to the “fuck it, just walk out into the street without looking, they have to stop” mindset.

In other news, there was an email sent out to students today about short and long term goals to increase safety. In it they mention working with the city to make high street safer.

Dear Students and Colleagues

We write to report on the work of the task force charged by President Gee to review our existing efforts and to look for new opportunities to further enhance our safety on sidewalks and roads. This team of students, faculty and staff was charged to provide an initial assessment on this topic and suggest both short and long term solutions. While there is much more work to be done, we have a strong foundation on which to build. Some recommendations will be implemented quickly while others will require more research and evaluation and included as part of a long-term safety strategy. The following recommendations were presented to President Gee:

Short-Term Recommendations: Adopt a clear and strong set of rules of the road for all modes of transportation to raise awareness and reduce accidents on campus. Actions to achieve this recommendation will include a comprehensive, layered, educational campaign for all modes of transportation aimed at establishing expectations for pedestrian, cyclist and motorist behavior. This will be coupled with a layered enforcement strategy consisting of information sharing followed by a warning campaign and enforcement efforts. Enhanced signage will also play a role in bringing attention and providing clear direction to the actions required at crosswalks. The Oval will be established as a dismount zone for cyclists to begin a cultural shift on campus regarding which modes of transportation are safe and suitable for specific areas. The university will also look at new ways to reduce traffic congestion on campus by evaluating delivery, maintenance and construction traffic with the goal of reducing overall traffic and eliminating unnecessary deliveries, particularly in the campus core.

Long-Term Recommendations: Create a campus culture that is accommodating and respectful of all modes of transportation. The university will conduct a comprehensive study of the campus’ multimodal circulation patterns and behaviors. From this analysis a strategy for design, regulation and enforcement will be crafted. Increasing traffic safety on campus will require the work and partnership of faculty, staff and students, so the university will empower campus groups such as Council On the Physical Environment, the Department of Public Safety, and student governments to lead efforts across campus in implementing the goals of the Traffic Safety Task Force. Education and enforcement must be sustained and become a part of the campus culture.

The Traffic Safety Task Force recommendations are intended to be realistic, sustainable and impactful. The short-term action items will generally be planned and implemented over the next four to six months, although implementation of some items could begin in the next two months. The results of the short-term actions will help identify and inform the steps needed to achieve the long-term cultural change in traffic safety behaviors on campus. The university will also engage the City of Columbus to review and make improvements on High Street and other heavily traveled city streets near campus. President Gee accepted these recommendations and implementation will begin immediately.

As President Gee said, there is no greater priority than the safety and well-being of our students and campus community. Many of these strategies will require engagement from students, faculty and staff and a commitment from the entire campus community to create a culture of safety – whether we are walking, biking or driving. We appreciate your continued support and diligent attention to this important campus effort as we make progress.

Sincerely,

Jay Kasey, [email protected]
    Senior Vice President, Administration and Planning

Dr. Javaune Adams-Gaston, [email protected]
    Vice President, Student Life

paktinat

NerosNeptune said:
    Is that the one crosswalk with no light?

Yes at 16th (although 16th doesn’t connect to high). Similar crosswalks are along high street at 6th, 8th, 14th, and 18th (maybe elsewhere too).

There had been increased enforcement at this specific crosswalk at the beginning of the quarter semester ticketing motorists who were not yielding to pedestrians.

Coy
    Participant

http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2012/oct/16/3/bicyclist-struck-car-north-high-street-ar-1207333/

Bicyclist was riding on the sidewalk and jumped the curb to cross at the crosswalk.
    Typical OSU bicyclist behavior….

I am encouraged a bit by Dr.J’s email, however.

Graybeak
    Participant

Channel 4 says it was indeed a b…
    Darn you Coy. Just cause I had to log in…

This sentence at the bottom of the story gives hope as well.

Officers said that riding a bicycle through a crosswalk is a violation, and the cyclist could be cited.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.