Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 177 total)
  • Author

Graybeak
    Participant

And another. Pedestrian this time.
    story

Coy
    Participant

Today I was turning right (south) onto W 17th from Woody Hayes on my motorcycle.
    I had the green and the crosswalk was clearly in “no walk” mode.
    A girl jogging with full studio headphones on ran directly across the street in full stride without a hint of hesitation, or even an attempt to look around, directly in my path and against the red “no walk.”
    I nearly plastered her if it wasn’t for good brakes and the fact that I was watching her the whole time.
    Laid on my horn and she didn’t even bother to give a courtesy wave, even though she clearly saw me nearly kill her by that point.

The pedestrians on campus just don’t care.
    It’s a culture of completely ignoring the fact that they didn’t go to Oberlin, but are on one of the biggest campuses in the world in a city environment.
    The fact that OSU is going towards less vehicle routes on the inner campus areas just means that they will continue to be oblivious on the outskirts.
    I don’t know what the answer is, but they need to make this a full public push to make pedestrians more aware and more accountable.

And don’t even get me started on the bicycles that blaze across campus sidewalks and use the crosswalks with impunity instead of riding on the street.

JB05
    Participant

Coy said:
    And don’t even get me started on the bicycles that blaze across campus sidewalks and use the crosswalks with impunity instead of riding on the street.

This “law” disallowing cyclists from riding on sidewalks obviously isn’t taken seriously – unless you happen to cream a pedestrian. Places like the university – that host many cyclists who ride on the sidewalk with impunity, send mixed messages when they have so many cyclists riding on the wrong side of the “share the road” signs.

Of course.. the city and university both install bike parking on the very sidewalks that it’s illegal to operate a bicycle on…

JeepGirl
    Participant

JB05 said:
    Of course.. the city and university both install bike parking on the very sidewalks that it’s illegal to operate a bicycle on…

Maybe the city and OSU figure riders will walk their bike from the curb to a bike rack…

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I know I’ve mentioned it here a lot, but when the police exclusively ride on the sidewalks, nobody knows or cares what the actual law is.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    I know I’ve mentioned it here a lot, but when the police exclusively ride on the sidewalks, nobody knows or cares what the actual law is.

And since I’ve seen CPD go the wrong way on a one way, can I justify breaking the law and take a shortcut in my car?

melikecheese
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:

This is a great point, what happened to leading by example?

melikecheese
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    And since I’ve seen CPD go the wrong way on a one way, can I justify breaking the law and take a shortcut in my car?

Oh were gonna play that game….I think for people who may not be advanced bikers who move to the city and see this they may just think Columbus wants you to ride your bike on the sidewalk. It may not be justifying, they might just be learning by example.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:

Do they drive the wrong way down a one way street all the time? Do they have their sirens on when they do it, indicating “hey, some shits happening, i need to get through here”

I’m not saying they may not have a reason to be on the sidewalk, I’m saying when you always see police riding on the sidewalks, you shouldn’t be surprised when people think that’s where a bike is supposed to go.

DTown
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    Oh were gonna play that game….I think for people who may not be advanced bikers who move to the city and see this they may just think Columbus wants you to ride your bike on the sidewalk. It may not be justifying, they might just be learning by example.

I’m pretty sure even the most rural folk moving to Columbus know what police are, and that they do things that ordinary citizens do not, and may not, do. Folks see police riding horses in the streets, but they don’t saddle up and start running them through red lights, no matter how rustic a background they come from.

There are far more people riding properly than there are police on sidewalks. Why would people who don’t otherwise know choose to emulate police, when they themselves, clearly, are not police?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

DTown said:
    There are far more people riding properly than there are police on sidewalks.

You must not ride around campus.

Also, if you see a car riding the wrong way down the road in front of a police car, you know you will see them get pulled over. What do you expect to happen when you see someone riding their bike on the sidewalk in front of the police? Let alone running through a light/sign, passing illegaly, etc.. there are no punishments, so many feel like they shouldn’t bother following the law. Just like people going faster on the interstate in areas where there are rarely police, but slow down in known enforcement areas.

DTown
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    Do they drive the wrong way down a one way street all the time? Do they have their sirens on when they do it, indicating “hey, some shits happening, i need to get through here”

I’m not saying they may not have a reason to be on the sidewalk, I’m saying when you always see police riding on the sidewalks, you shouldn’t be surprised when people think that’s where a bike is supposed to go.

People ride bikes on the sidewalk for one of 2 reasons. Either they are afraid of riding in the street, and feel more comfortable on the sidewalk, or they feel that it is faster, more convenient, to be on the sidewalk.

Both are wrong. I would be extremely surprised for anyone to (honestly) say that they’re riding on the sidewalk because they saw the police doing it, and thought it was what was expected of them.

bucki12

Good point, I have never seen a police officer say anything to a bicyclist on the sidewalk and I have seen many people sidewalk biking in front of the police.

DTown
    Participant

NerosNeptune said:
    You must not ride around campus.

Also, if you see a car riding the wrong way down the road in front of a police car, you know you will see them get pulled over. What do you expect to happen when you see someone riding their bike on the sidewalk in front of the police? Let alone running through a light/sign, passing illegaly, etc.. there are no punishments, so many feel like they shouldn’t bother following the law. Just like people going faster on the interstate in areas where there are rarely police, but slow down in known enforcement areas.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that most people ride properly. Only that at any given time, you’re more likely to see someone riding a bike properly than you are of seeing a police officer riding on the sidewalk. There just aren’t that many bike riding officers out there, on the sidewalk or otherwise.

ETA

Enforcement is different from emulating. If you’re riding on the sidewalk because you know you’re going to get away with it, you’re much more likely to repeat it as as long as you keep getting away with it. That’s true of any law bending. Very likely though, you still know you’re not supposed to be there.

It’s like people parking where it’s not allowed. They know it’s not allowed, but so long as they don’t get ticketed, they keep parking there. Until they get a ticket, and then they claim they really didn’t know. (Or saw a police car parked there once).

I agree though, you want people to stop bending the rules, start enforcing them.

melikecheese
    Participant

Well I guess my little point is just wrong as I do not have the empirical data to back it up and my charts and graphs are not ready….

Sometimes little things make a big difference, get um off the sidewalk and bike by example. Try it and it might work, or argue and debate about peoples assumptions and how they act for the next 6 months.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: