Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Cycling and Pedestrian Crashes at OSU

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)
  • Author

Jeftrokat
    Participant

There were three or four serious accidents on campus involving cyclists and pedestrians this week. In some cases, cyclists were riding on the sidewalk. In others, pedestrians were jaywalking or crossing the street without looking.

OSU Student Hit By Dump Truck While Riding Bicycle

Two Bicyclists Struck in Two Days at OSU

Pedestrian Hit By Bicyclist In Third Campus Bicycle-Involved Crash

As a How We Roll tour guide, I strive to teach OSU students the importance of cycling in the roadway (not on the sidewalks) and obeying all traffic laws. OSU has the highest incidence of cyclist and pedestrian injuries of the whole city.

Group Urges Ohio State Bicyclists To Stay Safe After Crash

My question is: What is OSU going to do to keep pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers safe amid all the construction and traffic around campus?

melikecheese
    Participant

I am not trying to blame the cyclists, cause I fully support their freedom to ride on the road, but this summer I have seen more adults riding on the wrong side of the road (busy roads!) then ever before. Perhaps we need some better basic education about how to bike?

Graybeak
    Participant

While driving down High Street yesterday afternoon, I saw a bicyclist hit not one, but two pedestrians that were crossing in the middle of the street and not looking where they were going.

But I also saw many pedestrians crossing in the middle of the street without looking and not get hit by bikes or cars.

force5
    Participant

I have almost hit numerous pedestrians this summer, while on my bike, because no one bothers to look before crossing the street. I’m not sure whether to be annoyed or just laugh when they look suprised and confused that there was a bike being ridden in the street.

Twixlen
    Participant

melikecheese said:
    I am not trying to blame the cyclists, cause I fully support their freedom to ride on the road, but this summer I have seen more adults riding on the wrong side of the road (busy roads!) then ever before. Perhaps we need some better basic education about how to bike?

I’ve long wished for signs, everywhere that said “Bike with, walk against” and some clever little car picture… I think people just don’t know.

On the westside, it’s epidemic; there’s almost no one that walks on the correct side of the road (when there aren’t sidewalks) or bikes on the correct side of the road (bikelanes or not). Everywhere (all parts of town), I encounter people who cross in the middle of the block, when a crosswalk is just a hundred feet away. I don’t know if people heard “pedestrians have the rightaway” once in their lives and they assume it means that whereever they stand, they are allowed to be there?

There’s definitely a huge gap in education somewhere. I’ve heard people who grew up here talk about Safety Town – some kind of program from their childhood, where I guess everyone learned all these sorts of basic things. Does this no longer exist?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Have been seeing a lot of people riding the wrong way down high street here as well. They must think that’s what you’re supposed to do?

I’m surprised there aren’t more accidents around campus. It seems like most cyclists around campus are people riding their old kids-sized mountain bikes for the first time since they were 15, for the first time in a populated area. OSU needs to be more serious about either educating students to ride on the road, or create infrastructure that students will feel safe using.

Unfortunately they do not seem to be serious about it. Woodruff and 17th were recently redone and don’t include any bike infrastructure, let alone a painted bike lane. I think this is insane considering how many people bike around campus.

paktinat

NerosNeptune said:
    Unfortunately they do not seem to be serious about it. Woodruff and 17th were recently redone and don’t include any bike infrastructure, let alone a painted bike lane. I think this is insane considering how many people bike around campus.

Not to defend OSU (because I think they could do so much more) but 17th was narrowed and converted to 2-way with sharrows and a 20mph speed limit.
    Woodruff was already 2 way but it was also narrowed and sharrows were applied and the speed limit was lowered (at least between college and tuttle)

I really think that warning tickets for speed limits and stop signs for motor vehicles as well as warning tickets to jaywalkers and sidewalk cyclists could go a long way to helping people understand how they are supposed to get around.

I have been ‘on campus’ for almost 10 years now and I do think this year’s crop of jay walkers are particularly audacious. It doesn’t help though that I hardly ever see anyone stops at the stop signs at college and 17th and 18th unless traffic is backed up enough to force them to. It all seems to reinforce this concept of suspension of road rules while on campus and surrounding areas.

Graybeak
    Participant

I had seen the pedestrians rule all they survey attitude in Athens, but never noticed it here on campus, until now.

I blame the switch to semesters.

hivner1

I always picked as much of a centralized bike rack as I could and leave it there while I walked from class to class. It’s nearly impossible to safely bike between buildings around the denser parts of campus.

The bigger issue, from my experience, is the lack of awareness that most people commuting to class on their bikes have. Remember, most of these students are not “cyclists” (not that being a cyclist precludes unawareness) but merely using their bicycles to get from point A to point B IMO. Hence the hilariously undersized or gregariously oversized bikes that a lot of students ride around on…

howatzer
    Participant

Eh, mix hoards of students on bikes, students in cars, and students walking, add in smart phones, booze, and a rapidly changing maze of construction and it’s wonder they’re aren’t more problems.
    We should be celebrating the fact that no one’s been killed.

ETA: The minute someone does die, we should obviously ban bicycles.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Unfortunately there are generally dozens of pedestrian incidents on campus every year. This year isn’t much different, but it’s gotten a bit more publicity due to the dump truck/cyclist collision and that cheerleader girl a few weeks ago.

There aren’t really any big solutions here, everyone just needs to pay attention all the time.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Analogue Kid said:
    There aren’t really any big solutions here, everyone just needs to pay attention all the time.

So, we’re doomed.

rprpclark
    Participant

I thought that if you were smart enough to get to college you would be proficient at walking, riding a bike and driving. Silly me. Why is the university responsible for teaching this stuff.

Twixlen
    Participant

rprpclark said:
    I thought that if you were smart enough to get to college you would be proficient at walking, riding a bike and driving. Silly me. Why is the university responsible for teaching this stuff.

I wasn’t aware they had a traffic rules proficiency test as part of the college entrance examinations.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I’ve suggested on several occasions that the city should put up signs around town simply saying “DON’T BE A DICK”.

Perhaps they should also say “DON’T BE A DUMBASS”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION