Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cycletracks and painted bike lanes

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Cycletracks and painted bike lanes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

The Bicycling Subcommittee recently applied to Bikes Belong for studying cycletracks and painted bike lanes in other cities for implementation in Columbus. I have some objections to cycletracks and painted bike lanes that I feel should be addressed before they are implemented on Columbus Streets:

Cycletracks are basically on-street separations of bicycles from motorized traffic, separated by bollards or other traffic control devices. While the separation may reduce come-from-behind collisions, they apparently increase the incidence of collisions at intersections as cyclists are perceived as entering and leaving the traffic stream and may escape the notice of motorists. Motorists may also “see” the cyclists as not being in the traffic flow and this increases the potential of collisions. Cycletracks also take up street space and may cause motorist resentment with respect to “special treatment” and slowing down motorized traffic. Cycletracks also present a problem of entering and leaving the cycletrack, as there are physical separations from entering and leaving. There are also the problems of driveways intersecting with the cycletracks and of cleaning and maintaining the tracks. They also foster the perception that bicycles do not belong on the road.

Painted bike lanes present the hazard, from my point of view, that the painted surface is slipperier in inclement weather than untreated pavement, leading to more bicycles skidding and crashing.

I invite commentary and responses. I also note that there is a merger in progress between Bikes Belong and the League of American Cyclists, which many cyclists object to because they perceive that Bikes Belong wishes to reduce bicycling to secondary status behind motorized traffic.

cheap

rodrudinger said:
    Painted bike lanes present the hazard, from my point of view, that the painted surface is slipperier in inclement weather than untreated pavement, leading to more bicycles skidding and crashing.

i think painted bike lanes are being utilized or thought of,because of legal reasons(accident liability),and for cops to be able to write citations to bike riders for not staying in the bike lanes.
    i do know in some states a bike rider can get a ticket riding on the street when they are a certain distance from the curb.
    this usually happens after the bike rider ends up on somebody’s hood,and the insurance co. goes after them.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

cheap said: i think painted bike lanes are being utilized or thought of,because of legal reasons(accident liability),and for cops to be able to write citations to bike riders for not staying in the bike lanes. i do know in some states a bike rider can get a ticket riding on the street when they are a certain distance from the curb. this usually happens after the bike rider ends up on somebody’s hood,and the insurance co. goes after them.

Thankfully Ohio has no such provision. Visibility is the reason I’ve always seen for painted lanes.

cheap

lifeontwowheels said:
    Thankfully Ohio has no such provision. Visibility is the reason I’ve always seen for painted lanes.

insurance cos. own the state legislature.

if insurance cos.start getting a lot of bike injury related claims,watch new laws pop up limiting bike riders.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Any changes negatively effecting travel by bike would be challenged pretty quickly and overturned. Ohio had laws similar to what you suggest until legal challenges helped spur changes. Ohio passed legislation around 2006 making laws less restrictive and more uniform, upholding long standing precedent to the right to travel under your own power.

johnwirtz
    Participant

There’s not really a ton of good research on the safety effects of bike facilities, and it’s somewhat mixed. I posted this here, but some newer research from Montreal suggests that cycle tracks and bike lanes are both safer than a street without bike facilities. I recall a study from the League of American Bicyclists that surveyed members and found lower crash rates in bike lanes than on general roadways. I’ve seen stats from New York City that show crash reductions on specific protected bike lane (i.e., cycle track) projects. However, there was also some research from Copenhagen that found increased crash rates at intersetions as you stated.

Overall, I think what we’re going for is a safety in numbers effect. Many cities have shown that as the numbers of cyclists go up, crash rates (and often the absolute crash frequency) goes down. The best theory in my opinion is that drivers beging to expect bikes on the road and behave more cautiously. Here is a graph from NYC.
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/nyc_cycling_safety_indicator.pdf

So what we really want is to get lots more cyclists on the road. I haven’t seen a way to do that without installing bike lanes and/or protected bike lanes. Maybe a bike sharing system could also have an impact?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

^ To borrow from our President, I think an “all of the above” strategy is what’s really needed. One of the big keys is simply changing mindset around cycling and transportation. Simple steps.

byJody
    Participant

Many cyclists object to the merger. Incorrect.
    Bikes belong is for marginalizing cyclists: incorrect.

I have spent this week riding the Pennsylvania Ave cycletracks in Washington DC, I ride my usual slow speed, no one honks at me. I wish people would actually visit a city with these facilities before they try to kill them in Columbus.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

byJody said:
    Many cyclists object to the merger. Incorrect.
    Bikes belong is for marginalizing cyclists: incorrect.

I have spent this week riding the Pennsylvania Ave cycletracks in Washington DC, I ride my usual slow speed, no one honks at me. I wish people would actually visit a city with these facilities before they try to kill them in Columbus.

In the 2-3 years I was riding pretty regularly in Columbus, I can remember being honked at maybe 3 times.

Timeone

^ To borrow from our President, I think an “all of the above” strategy is what’s really needed. One of the big keys is simply changing mindset around cycling and transportation. Simple steps.

I agree there needs to be a collage of all these options in the correct and thoughtful places and a shift in the way we think about transportation.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Timeone said:

I agree there needs to be a collage of all these options in the correct and thoughtful places and a shift in the way we think about transportation.

byJody
    Participant

Lotw, I probably ride slower, I get honked at on High St.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I’ve never really clocked myself. I also avoid main roads unless absolutely necessary. Google maps is a great tool to find routes, especially with street view.

Hi Rod,

I don’t want to hijack your thread, but I wanted to bring to light what Yay Bikes! is doing to change cycling culture here in Columbus. I took over the board chair at Yay Bikes! a few months ago and we are planning some great events in the coming months. Our goal with Yay Bikes! is to get people on bikes for educational and fun rides to encourage cycling as a lifestyle/culture. We already have THREE Year of Yay rides under our belt (in the cold and snow for the first two!) and 100 cyclists joined us in the St. Patricks Day parade last weekend. We didn’t need bike lanes, and we didn’t spend a dime of government dollars to do so.

A Yay Bikes! membership is $25 for the year and gives access to all the Year of Yay! rides. For everyone else the cost is $5. On the February ride we stopped at Shadowbox and every rider received a $30 ticket to Shadowbox which covered the membership fee. And, we have surprises for members every month.

You can become a member here http://yaybikes.com/membership/%5B/url%5D

If you are on Facebook, here are links to the events. If not, message me directly and I will forward over more information.

April 2 – Yay Bikes and a Movie! We will be watching Breaking Away at Showdowbox Live[/url]

April 14 – Earth Day – Bike to Help the Earth[/url]

April 21 – Month 4: A Year of Yay – Rhythm of the Earth ride[/url]

May 5 – Pinchflat: A Bike Poster Blowout[/url]

May 15 – Ride the Elevator 2012[/url]

May 19 – Month 5: A Year of Yay – Bike Month[/url]

June 2 – Month 6: A Year of Yay – Artistic Expression
    [/url]

July 3 – Bike and Build 2012 Meet and Greet
    [/url]
    July 4 – 2012 Doo Dah Parade Float – Third year in a Row for Yay Bikes! float
    [/url]
    July 14 – Month 7: A Year of Yay – Community Garden Ride
    [/url]
    September 1 – Bike the C-Bus 2012 – First city-wide bicycle tour of Columbus celebrating 5th year
    [/url]

Let’s Ride,

Ray

byJody
    Participant

Lotw, I work on High street and got honked at travelling to my bank and rec center, also both on High St. I am a huge fan of goggle maps, but I don’t see how it would help me in this case. I do appreciate your perspective though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: