Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Cutting the Wire - Goodbye Cable TV

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Cutting the Wire – Goodbye Cable TV

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 109 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

No idea how I missed the app, Plex before. LOVE IT. Tons of streaming content, plus acts as the best file server to stream your own content I’ve ever seen. Takes your videos into the library, attaches all the meta data so it has movie posters and soundtracks, even plays previews prior to your movie if you want.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

I cut the cord about 9 years ago, and for my TV I have a Mohu HD antenna that allows me to get 4, 6, 10, 28, and PBS, which is all I need. Only time I miss cable is football season, but I make due.

Odd issue of late. Recently acquired an iPad and purchased a season of ‘Justified’ episodes through iTunes. Tried to watch one of the episodes streaming from the cloud, and it takes forever to load, then starts, and every 2 minutes it buffers forever then starts, then 2 minutes later buffers, etc. over and over.

I never have this issue with Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus.

My internet service has been spotty – frequent disruptions for 2-3 minutes at a time. I feel like I am powering off and powering back on my modem and router 4-5 times per week. A few weeks ago I bought a new router from Microcenter.

An Ookla speedtest on my ipad is coming back with 3 MBps download speeds. Is this a speed able to support iTunes streaming?

With basic Time Warner internet (~$50 a month), what should my download speeds be? Anyone have any idea?

I am starting to think my modem may need replacing.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Call Time Warner and have them ping the modem as well as give you your real time specs. I had a similar problem and it was my router, not my modem even though my router was not old and younger than the provided modem. Fixed the problem.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Basic should be about twice that speed and shouldn’t cost 50 bucks a month (also about half that).

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Here’s my bill:

Basic Internet 47.99
    Internet Modem Lease 5.99
    State Sales Tax 0.45

Total due: 54.43

So in addition to speed, I guess I need to negotiate a new price as well. Thanks for the tip.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Consider buying a Motorola SB6141:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-cable-modem-is-the-motorola-sb6141/

Even at full retail, you’ll save over your lease payment in a little over a year.

They go on ebay for like $60-70ish, so even if you change internet service, you’ll still probably come out ahead factoring in resell value.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Here’s a screenshot of what they advertise as their internet speeds and pricing. You should have WAY higher than 3 down for that price.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

sirlancelot
    Participant

We dropped Time Warner cable two weeks ago. It is not worth $75 a month for the majority of channels we do not watch. Yes, there are a few channels I miss but overall, over-the-air tv works just as well. The public library has plenty of DVD movies to choose from. Also, I notice that the cable channels rerun the same movies for months on end. In a word, cable tv is BORING and EXPENSIVE!

Pro Se
    Participant

You should also explore Hoopla, the library’s digital media collection. It’s extensive, free and available without a trip to the library.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Hulu Plus and Netflix = $16/mo

No contest.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

New issue. I have been using a tv tuner card and Windows Media Center to use my desktop computer as a DVR. Today I learned that Windows 10 will drop support for WMC. So, my choices are buy a DVR or find software to replace WMC.

Any suggestions or advice?

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

After talking with Mae about this, we are leaning towards the DVR/PVR route. Much as I prefer to save money and use things I already own, it would be nice to move the computer out of the living room. Also, we would no longer have to wonder why the computer is turning itself on.

That said, the ability to add additional storage space (or save to our network drives) would be nice.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

You can move the computer and still do what you need to do using it as a server and with a Fire Stick or something similar. Plex is amazing for that. I torrent everything, but can just load the MKV or AVI files into plex on my PC then watch them all on my fire stick in my living room (including all metadata for files, even movie trailers before your video if you want).

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

This is what the interface looks like, super easy and you can add streaming channels as well.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

This is what the interface looks like, super easy and you can add streaming channels as well.

Thanks for the info. I will research the setup you suggest.

I have the cables and hardware to move the computer case into the basement yet have a keyboard and mouse up in the living room and use our 42″ TV as a monitor. We have a Sony blu-ray player that will access the web and stream most services. As for setting up a server, I have a bunch of computer components that I rebuilt into a Linux machine that could perform the service as an alternative to using my Windows 7 desktop.

The trick will be having the media management software that will allow us to schedule and record over-the-air broadcasts. The advantage of this approach is the cost savings. The disadvantage is the inefficiency of using a computer as a DVR.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 109 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: