Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CU Focus Group: How to lure someone in to their first Food Truck Experience

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat CU Focus Group: How to lure someone in to their first Food Truck Experience

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I hear terrible things about these so called food trucks, I stay far away!

Bear
    Participant

Walker said:
    I consider myself pretty flexible when it comes to this, but one evening when Anne & I were in the mood for a particular truck, but we couldn’t nail down with 100% certainty where it was located (their most recent social media post was a day old and didn’t make reference to where it was going to be on this particular day) so we ended up going to a brick and mortar instead.

This.

When I have the urge to go to a food truck, I probably end up not going more often than going, simply because their social media stream have gone stale (it’s just a single tweet, for the love of God) and I didn’t want to try to track them down.

Granted, this wouldn’t be a first experience, so it’s a bit of a derail (sorry), but just FYI.

mrpoppinzs

I have to agree with the sentiment that I do not usually seek out food trucks. If I stumble upon one when I am hungry then it is food fate and I indulge. I guess this is where location is the most crucial factor for a food truck.

As far as hunting one down. I remember trouble with finding the food truck by the Lincoln Theater open during its regular hours. That type of scenario makes me reluctant to make such trips. I took the bus the first time and ended up walking to the place by Skyview Towers to get my grub.

I also agree with Food Fort in that the $6 price point is the sweet spot.

Maybe in the future they will have some type of real time GPS tracking – that would be cool as sometimes they may be around the corner and I do not know it.

FoodFort
    Participant

ntn said:
    I hear terrible things about these so called food trucks, I stay far away!

I have heard that multiple Mobile Monday food vendors have specials known as the Nelson. In food truck lingo I beleive that means beware.

FoodFort
    Participant

rus said:
    Answering my own question, apparently not. Or at least not listed on streeteatscolumbus.

Sounds like a job for That Food Truck…..on it. (Having some street eats insight, no where to go for the above as of yet).

FoodFort
    Participant

As for finding a food truck – that is a challenge. Taco Trucks stay in place and build as following (which we know from http://tacotruckscolumbus.com) Ray Ray’s and Mya’s have done the same.

Most of the food trucks have regular spots that they hit (like OSU Medical Center sites and some state offices) where the people on site know they are on the way.

But the key for random consumption is finding one on the fly. Twitter and Facebook are not that effective. I spend a lot of time looking and testing out apps and most have been disappointing.

This is the best so far (not a product endorsement just a reality)

http://appshopper.com/food-drink/street-food-columbus

After that side bar getting back on track – we want to get into the minds of people that have not tried a food truck and figure out how to grab some of them – especially with winter coming up so chime in, stir the pot and ask your mobile wary friends what their fears are.

bjx
    Participant

Does anyone know if there are any vegetarian food trucks that offer unique & really different types of food other than standard vegetarian fare?

geoyui
    Participant

FoodFort said:
    But the key for random consumption is finding one on the fly. Twitter and Facebook are not that effective. I spend a lot of time looking and testing out apps and most have been disappointing.

This is the best so far (not a product endorsement just a reality)

http://appshopper.com/food-drink/street-food-columbus

completely agree. I’ve had 2 apps on my phone, hungerly and eat street, and I can’t trust either when locating a truck.

I think it also just takes time. People will shed their hangups or stereotypes that they think exist with trucks and trucks will over time have more offerings, lower prices and better communication methods.

I’m curious, are you asking because there’s been a dip in attendance or interest levels have plateaud? Seems to me the growth and demand are there.

FoodFort
    Participant

geoyui said:

I’m curious, are you asking because there’s been a dip in attendance or interest levels have plateaud? Seems to me the growth and demand are there.

We are asking for a couple reasons. The mobile community has grown a lot in the last year. Those that get it….eat it. Those that don’t – perhaps won’t. Some of the novelty and newness has worn off and as great as Pitabilities, Ray Ray’s and etc., are – there are onlt a few people that are going to seek them out every week – so there is a need to reach new customers and grow the whole brand of mobile in the community.

The other challenge is winter. Many well known mobile models are in LA, Houston and Austin which do not have mobile unfriendly weather 4 months a year.

Can it be done – absolutely – food trucks and carts do well in NYC and OK in Minneapolis but Columbus does not have the cold weather culture that other cities do.

Dinin’ Hall addresses some of those amenity concefrns – bathrooms, tables, protection from the elements but that is one place and we still need to think creatively about how to grow this market / experience for people.

Mobile Food is becoming a Columbus “thing” that is getting national attention and can help grow the economy on a micro scale (say taco truck tours with Columbus Food Adventures).

We want to keep our vendors and the rest of the mobile community busy this winter.

FoodFort
    Participant

bjx said:
    Does anyone know if there are any vegetarian food trucks that offer unique & really different types of food other than standard vegetarian fare?

There are bits and pieces out there. Blu Olive has a few dishes, That Food Truck has some fun Fritters, Ajumama does a few interesting veggie items too. Our vendors all try to have one strong veggie item on the menu.

Earth’s Crust/Krazy Monkey, Veggielicious are the main mobile vendors with a vegetarian focus.

juliana
    Participant

I am kind of ashamed to say this, but I have never been to a food cart! Or even a taco truck! And I’ve been dying to go!

Dumb question perhaps, but can you order food to go at food carts? I just get the impression I’d be stuck in my car with a paper plate that quickly turns into a gloppy mess.

I will rarely find myself within walking distance to a food cart (suburbs, not your fault) but I would be interested in picking something up for those times I “forget” to plan dinner.

FoodFort
    Participant

juliana said:

Dumb question perhaps, but can you order food to go at food carts? I just get the impression I’d be stuck in my car with a paper plate that quickly turns into a gloppy mess.

You can get orders to go from Food Trucks and Carts and it is common to do so.

What parts of town do you work and live – there may be mobile food closer than you think. Many of the food truck go to office hubs outside 270 and do special events.

FoodFort
    Participant

What if there was a truck that did only fair food?

mrpoppinzs

FoodFort said:

Would probably have to be in a pod in conjunction with other trucks or at some special events. I think that might be a gimmick which is hard to live off of.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FoodFort said:

There’s a bunch of those.

They’re at the fair. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS