Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CU Focus Group: How to lure someone in to their first Food Truck Experience

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat CU Focus Group: How to lure someone in to their first Food Truck Experience

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

FoodFort said:
    Great conversation all – keep it going.

You are all good ambassadors for street food.

Wow.

And without ever visiting a Columbus food truck.

That was easy.

ricospaz
    Participant

Pablo said:
    You must work near me – Pitabilities is parked in my office complex’s parking lot.

I work at ManleyDeas. You work for EDGE or the architectural biz there?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Wow. And without ever visiting a Columbus food truck.

Color me surprised that you’re not a Ray Ray’s regular.

FoodFort
    Participant

rus said:
    Wow.

And without ever visiting a Columbus food truck.

That was easy.

Rus – I can print out a certificate if you like as an official Food Truck Ambassador.

rus
    rus
    Participant

FoodFort said:
    Rus – I can print out a certificate if you like as an official Food Truck Ambassador.

Only if it comes with diplomatic immunity. I saw Lethal Weapon 2; that stuff is cool.

FoodFort
    Participant

rus said:
    Only if it comes with diplomatic immunity. I saw Lethal Weapon 2; that stuff is cool.

It comes with an envoyship to Latavia.

rus
    rus
    Participant

FoodFort said:

Cool Flag.

Oh. Wait. LATVIA.

Interesting…

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Speka-Piragi-Bacon-Turnovers

Any food trucks around here have something like that?

goodalehardware
    Participant

FoodFort said:
    If you were going to convince a friend to try out a food truck – what would be your best strategies or talking points?

If the objective is brand new customers, I think anything you can do foodfort to make it easier to try a food truck than not helps.

Dunno how feasible for operators like that to offer coupons and giftcards would help a lot with this. And that’s something I’ve never really seen a food truck ever try.

Some people on the fence might feel more open to it if they feel like they have “free” money in the hand to do so. Less “risk” per say. You and your trucks would have to figure out what an attractive but manageable offer would be (and how to distribute it) but Columbus has always had a reputation nationally as a Coupon cutter town. Might be worth thinking about.

FoodFort
    Participant

goodalehardware said:
    If the objective is brand new customers, I think anything you can do foodfort to make it easier to try a food truck than not helps.

Dunno how feasible for operators like that to offer coupons and giftcards would help a lot with this. And that’s something I’ve never really seen a food truck ever try.

Some people on the fence might feel more open to it if they feel like they have “free” money in the hand to do so. Less “risk” per say. You and your trucks would have to figure out what an attractive but manageable offer would be (and how to distribute it) but Columbus has always had a reputation nationally as a Coupon cutter town. Might be worth thinking about.

There have been some dabbles in this. El Mantinal Latino has used valuepac.

Pitabilities and Street Thyme use a Text based coupon system

That Food Truck and OH Burgers use Level Up.

FoodFort
    Participant

If anyone knows someone that has not tried a food truck – ask them – what their hesitations are and what incentive they would need to try it out.

These are the basics we know:

The truck needs to look (and be) clean and have a good appearance

The name and verbage on the truck shoud tell you what to expect on the menu

Good customer service

Service of order to food should be 5 minutes or less (not saying that is reight but it is the expectation)

Price point: go about $6 (even with the best ingredients) you lose customers

Location, Location, Location

Knowing your customer base and looking for places that support the style of food you do. i.e. food hipsters like farm to table fare but not super excited about other street meat foods.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I think a lot of people are creatures of comfort, creatures of habit, and creatures of reliability. Many food trucks change locations daily (or twice a day) and even the ones that stay put in one spot can have flexible hours that can change without much warning.

The mobility is both a blessing and a curse for food trucks, as I’m sure a lot of people don’t want to have to investigate whether or not they will be able to pay for food at a business that may or may not be where the customer thinks it should be.

I consider myself pretty flexible when it comes to this, but one evening when Anne & I were in the mood for a particular truck, but we couldn’t nail down with 100% certainty where it was located (their most recent social media post was a day old and didn’t make reference to where it was going to be on this particular day) so we ended up going to a brick and mortar instead.

A lot of people just don’t want to put a lot of extra thought and planning into their meal, and sometimes it can require some extra legwork if you have a particular mobile destination in mind. Gotta chase em down.

rus
    rus
    Participant

rus said:

Interesting…

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Speka-Piragi-Bacon-Turnovers

Any food trucks around here have something like that?

Answering my own question, apparently not. Or at least not listed on streeteatscolumbus.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Walker said:
    A lot of people just don’t want to put a lot of extra thought and planning into their meal, and sometimes it can require some extra legwork if you have a particular mobile destination in mind. Gotta chase em down.

Not to mention for the lunch crowd twitter, FB and the like are usually blocked from work connections. You’re left trying to use your phone, which may or may not work out so well.

Pablo
    Participant

ricospaz said:
    I work at ManleyDeas. You work for EDGE or the architectural biz there?

Yup, right next door. CUers are everywhere…

FoodFort
    Participant

FoodFort said:

Correction – country Latvia

I will add one Latavia CD to be named later.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTavia_Roberson

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!