Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CU Focus Group: How to lure someone in to their first Food Truck Experience

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat CU Focus Group: How to lure someone in to their first Food Truck Experience

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
  • Author

FoodFort
    Participant

I know it may be hard to believe – but there are still a good number of people in Columbus that have never eaten at a food truck in town.

If you were going to convince a friend to try out a food truck – what would be your best strategies or talking points?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FoodFort said:
    If you were going to convince a friend to try out a food truck – what would be your best strategies or talking points?

Taking them there and going with them.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Maybe to some, the exotic items on the menu can make it seem like everything’s strange and there’s nothing familiar and appealing. In that case, either get the speciality of the place, or throw a dart at the menu board and be ready for a surprise.

geoyui
    Participant

I think a strategy would be how to combat the stereotypes of food trucks. My friends have commented on sanitation, waiting lines, prices and portions.

Sanitation is a non issue and myth. I tell them if they can go to the ohio state fair and eat a fried twinkie, then a food truck festival is a no brainer.

Waiting lines are a concern as popularity and speed of service are sometimes hard to gauge. I’ve been in lines that are instant and others that last an hour. I’ve seen understaffed trucks and I’ve seen trucks sell specific food items in a separate line to speed up service. I wish some trucks, who have very small menus, adopt this. I was in a line for a smoothie and pizza truck and it would have been great to see a separate line created for just smoothie orders. I usually tell my friends that the festival will have so many options that you won’t have to worry too much about the wait (doesn’t always work). I also try to pick the optimal time to go, but that doesn’t always pan out either.

Prices and portions kind of go hand in hand. My friends constantly comment on how the food seems smaller in portion but with a higher price tag. I try to tell them it’s all about quality and variety their menus bring. Not sure what else to say.

All these points are really important to my friends with kids. Sanitation, time and cost. Address those and you can reach more people.

joev
    Participant

Ever buy a hot dog from a street vendor? Same thing.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev said:
    Ever buy a hot dog from a street vendor? Same thing.

Just pictured a germ phobic mom pouring a gallon or two of hand sanitizer over her kids.

catnfiddle
    Participant

Show them the green stickers on the trucks and explain that the process to earn those stickers is identical to those at restaurants.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FoodFort said:
    I know it may be hard to believe – but there are still a good number of people in Columbus that have never eaten at a food truck in town.

I just wanted to add that I think there will always be a good number of people in Columbus that will never eat at a food truck. Just like there will always be a good number of people who never go Downtown, they’ll never shop in the Short North, and never ride a bike, even if every street had a bike lane.

If you want to increase the participation rates of any of those things, I’d target the people who are already open to the idea rather than aim for a universal adoption rate. Some people just have no interest and no amount of arming them with additional information will get them to change their minds. And that’s fine.

But for the people who just haven’t made time to get to a food truck but are interested… that’s where you can help out. ;)

thirstychef
    Participant

I like the variety that food trucks offer. What doesn’t work for me is that I usually want a dining experience when I go out to eat.

The comfort of nice booth, barstool, or patio.

The atmosphere, the service, the dining experience.

Food trucks fit a perfect niche, and add to a city’s character. But unless its a festival or 3 in the morning, not much will make it worth my while.

Bear
    Participant

Ask what they think of food trucks, and if the answers are largely negative, take them to the one that surprises them the most.

buckette13

Take them to Dinin Hall. It is a good middle ground.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

thirstychef said:
    Food trucks fit a perfect niche, and add to a city’s character. But unless its a festival or 3 in the morning, not much will make it worth my while.

Agreed. If I eat at one it’s because its at a festival, or the bar has closed and one happens to be right outside (late night slice). Other than that I don’t personally enjoy having to hunt down when and where some place is open, drive to wherever it is, then have to eat in the car or drive it back home.

ricospaz
    Participant

I used to associate food trucks with ‘Roach Coaches’.. I’m sure people that don’t know better think the same. Explain that it’s a restaurant on wheels. inspected, etc. Just had a nice lunch from Pitabilities!

FoodFort
    Participant

Great conversation all – keep it going.

You are all good ambassadors for street food.

Pablo
    Participant

ricospaz said:
    I used to associate food trucks with ‘Roach Coaches’.. I’m sure people that don’t know better think the same. Explain that it’s a restaurant on wheels. inspected, etc. Just had a nice lunch from Pitabilities!

You must work near me – Pitabilities is parked in my office complex’s parking lot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!