Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Crew Sold To Precourt Sports Ventures, LLC

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports Crew Sold To Precourt Sports Ventures, LLC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

So

DouginCMH said:
    3-5 years, maybe not. But within the next decade something has to happen.

The Crew have a decade left on their 25 year lease with the Ohio Expo Center. It was initially set at $50K with increases for inflation, which is seen as a pretty modest amount. When this lease expires, they’ll have an option for another 25 year lease. No way in hell Crew Stadium lasts 50 years. My guess is that we’ll see some upgrades (some of which are already in the works), with a gradual effort toward a new facility in 6-7 years.

So a 25-year lease, starting from 1999. Sounds like a new stadium by around 2024.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

CalebR said:
    What sounds better to the general public? A newly built stadium in the Arena District, or a majorly renovated 1999 stadium near the Fairgrounds?

A: The development of a mixed-use Crew Stadium District near the Fairgrounds. ;)

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

my most favored renovation would be a new, larger video screen that plays replays more often / more effectively. The current one is comically small, and when I’ve attended usually has a black square or two in the middle of the screen.

JStaker017
    Participant

Walker said:
    A: The development of a mixed-use Crew Stadium District near the Fairgrounds. ;)

already a heck of a start with frisch’s big boy :)

ToddAnders
    Blocked

Mixed-use; cute idea but wishful thinking; the balls are already in motion, and it will be a net win for both areas of Columbus.

groundrules
    Participant

JStaker017 said:
    already a heck of a start with frisch’s big boy :)

I ate there for the first time ever a few weeks ago after a panic-hunger struck mid-Lowe’s run. I gotta say, I was pretty impressed. That shake was delish and it’s like 1980s pricing in there. :)

DouginCMH
    Participant

Not that Tom said:
    So

So a 25-year lease, starting from 1999. Sounds like a new stadium by around 2024.

The lease may have started in 1998, when construction began. But, yeah, a new home somewhere in the 2020+ range.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

ToddAnders said:
    the balls are already in motion, and it will be a net win for both areas of Columbus.

Go on…

BC

I think there should be real concern over PCM taking the Crew elsewhere, namely San Francisco or elsewhere in CA. Companies like this don’t usually make an acquisiton like this out of the goodness of their heart – check that, they NEVER do – so you can bet there are ulterior motives.

On the other hand, a new stadium and other incentives could also be part of their plan, and to that end, I would love to see them move downtown. I think a sports complex with hockey, baseball and soccer would be a HIT!

Here’s hoping that that the Crew uses this to improve on field performance…

ToddAnders
    Blocked

@ spfld; here is my earlier post:

This is part of a larger plan; the team will move to the Arena District, naming rights and some tax breaks will help make that happen. Then, the fairgrounds will be able to expand and keep large events such as the Quarter Horse Congress that for years have needed more space and spoke of moving to a different city if we can’t get our stuff together and find more space to expand the fairgrounds.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Respectfully, is that speculation, informed speculation, or something about which you’re aware?

DouginCMH
    Participant

BC said:
    I think there should be real concern over PCM taking the Crew elsewhere, namely San Francisco or elsewhere in CA. Companies like this don’t usually make an acquisiton like this out of the goodness of their heart – check that, they NEVER do – so you can bet there are ulterior motives.

On the other hand, a new stadium and other incentives could also be part of their plan, and to that end, I would love to see them move downtown. I think a sports complex with hockey, baseball and soccer would be a HIT!

Here’s hoping that that the Crew uses this to improve on field performance…

I hope so, too.

Re: relocation, PSV doesn’t own the Crew, MLS does. PSV are investor/operators of the franchise. Can’t say that I’ve been invited to attend any MLS Board of Governors meetings in the recent past, but the league does not seem too interested in relocating franchises. Rather, they want to expand to 24 teams by 2020; i.e., going into four new markets (after NY joins in 2015) with all of the franchise fees that come as part of the deal. Shutting down in Columbus and moving the team elsewhere just isn’t something the league would seem to look kindly upon.

Now if PSV proves incompetent at running a professional sports franchise and drives this into the ground, yeah, we could leave or fold. But I doubt PSV has any secret plans to come into town and move us to SF.

ToddAnders
    Blocked

@Michael; I am aware. I have been involved in real estate transactions with people who have put this deal together. And it’s going to be great for the franchise and the city as a whole.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

JStaker017
    Participant

all i see is High Street filled with supporters chanting and waving flags while fans flood out of bars and join the march down high street through the short north and into downtown to the state of the art 20,000 seat stadium….can you imagine

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 48 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: