Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Creative Things to Do With Eggplant

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Creative Things to Do With Eggplant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

Or just roast it in the oven in a lasagna pan with sweet potatoes, onions, peppers, squash, mushrooms, red potatoes. Toss in olive oil, salt pepper and a little paprika for color.

patient_zero
    Participant

Hey – this sounds good. So I guess you just slice them in long sheets on a mandolin slicer? How long does it go into the oven to bake?

lisathewaitress
    Participant

derm wrote >>
    Another good one is eggplant manicotti. Pan saute thin slices until soft. Fill with a little ricotta with garlic and herbs and what not. Roll them up with a toothpick and bake lightly with a tomato sauce, some fresh grated parm or romano and some parsley or chives.

yummy!! I’ve had something similar for lunch at basi – thinly sliced lengthwise and filled with mozzarella and basil leaves, then rolled up and baked with tomato sauce.

derm
    derm
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >>
    Hey – this sounds good. So I guess you just slice them in long sheets on a mandolin slicer? How long does it go into the oven to bake?

Mandolins work great. Cooking wise, Not very long unless you mix some egg in with your ricotta filling then you have to make sure it is cooked. If you do a simple filling of ricotta, basil, garlic, and parmesan inside cooked eggplant(cooked until soft enough to roll), At that point it is just heating all the flavors together. I sometimes add egg to make the filling stay inside the roll better and ooze out less, but both ways are good.

joev
    Participant

Can you believe I’m still getting eggplant from the garden?

tourist19
    Participant

Best thing I’ve had with Eggplant: Grilled Eggplant BLTS

Grill Eggplant slices
    Grill Bacon (If you’ve never done this it is truly amazing)
    Slice tomatoes
    Wash lettuce
    Toast bread

Assemble

EAT!

Someone I know has an amazing recipe blog with an eggplant-pumpkin spread: http://vegan-monster.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html. I’ve also had fabulous luck with pre-jarred Indian sauces from the grocery store. The spices lend themselves to preservation nicely :) Add diced eggplant & rice = MMM :)

Viewing 7 posts - 46 through 52 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: