Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Creative Things to Do With Eggplant

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Creative Things to Do With Eggplant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

patient_zero wrote >>
    Excellent timing on this post. I scored a bag of assorted eggplant, sweet mini yellow peppers and 3 giant beefsteaks yesterday at the fair. I got all this for $5 in the “All Ohio” tent.

I made a sautéed eggplant and feta cheese omelet today. On tonight’s menu is eggplant Parmsean sandwiches.
    This one site has a lot of great recipes. I’ll make eggplant, or eggplant and mushroom burritos in a few days. And maybe eggplant and angel hair pasta.
    http://www.aubergines.org/recipes.php
    Buca de Beppo’s thinly shaved and crispy eggplant slices in their lasagna is the best.

I love that you “scored a bag” of vegetables.

Nitsud Regnifloh
    Participant

better than scoring a bag of rotten vegetables…

patient_zero
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

patient_zero wrote >>
    I scored a bag of assorted eggplant, sweet mini yellow peppers and 3 giant beefsteaks yesterday at the fair. I got all this for $5 in the “All Ohio” tent.<br /

This one site has a lot of great recipes. I’ll make eggplant, or eggplant and mushroom burritos in a few days. And maybe eggplant and angel hair pasta.
    http://www.aubergines.org/recipes.php
    Buca de Beppo’s thinly shaved and crispy eggplant slices in their lasagna is the best.

I love that you “scored a bag” of vegetables.

Oh Snarf, it did the job because I was jonesing for eggplant, big time.

Bear
    Participant

TaraK wrote >>
    Eggplant pasties sounds like something from a buffet-strip club hybrid.

And when I think buffet, I think, like, Old Country Buffet… and thank you SO much for putting THAT image in my head.

JoeV, I say get creative. Roasting brings out good smoky flavors in eggplant; maybe roast and purée with roasted garlic and mix with stock or cream, then add something a bit spicy (sriracha?) to play off the mildness of the taste, maybe a squeeze of lemon to brighten it up, I dunno, maybe there’d be an interesting soup there. Or work the smokiness off against sweetness; grill and top with… goat cheese and some sort of greens, or thin-sliced fruit? Totally making this s**t up. But I’m with you, the same three or four preparations of eggplant just kind of get tired.

Whatever it is, I say use the opportunity to experiment. Forget recipes, ask yourself what eggplant tastes like and what would go well with it.

jennyw
    Participant

Wayward Seed Farm has created a blog, A Well-Fed Seed[/url], for its CSA members to share recipes; there are several good eggplant recipes on there right now, as it happens. I think I may have to try out the eggplant hummus recipe ASAP.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Maybe I’m reading that recipe wrong, but it sounds like you leave half a clove of garlic intact, wrap it in foil, and roast until golden.

I will try something like that recipe, though, I have a lot of eggplant on the vine.

Brant
    Participant

Eggplant-o-lanterns?

somertimeoh
    Participant

Well, joev, you made it to the 2nd page :)

Brant, -1000 points for using the SAME non-edible use joev actually posted to explain what he didn’t want.

joev
    Participant

Ha! I’m about to do that. A friend (frenemy?) dropped of three huge eggplant on my doorstep yesterday. I don’t think I can eat eggplant more than three times a week, though.

joev
    Participant

I’m thinking a riff on a dish I saw in the NYTimes about a year ago: diced eggplant, ground lamb, pasta, garlic, butter, yogurt, mint, thyme. Probably need something green to go with it. Just so happens I have a surfeit of Swiss chard as well.

jennyw
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    Maybe I’m reading that recipe wrong, but it sounds like you leave half a clove of garlic intact, wrap it in foil, and roast until golden.
    I will try something like that recipe, though, I have a lot of eggplant on the vine.

Yeah, that’s a little screwy. I think I’d want more than a half-clove of roasted garlic in there, anyway! Think I’ll roast a whole bulb and add to taste (the remainder will make for a delicious spread).

AnneD

I forgot about my favorite eggplant application, which is a sandwich. Fried or grilled eggplant slices, tomato and onion (also grilled or pan fried) on the bottom of the sandwich; goat cheese and toasted pine nuts (just stick them into the cheese so they stay put) on the top. Granted, it doesn’t use up much eggplant, but it is really good on a crusty roll.

I recently used almost every vegetable in the fridge for ratatouille. Great way to use up all those tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, and peppers.

joev
    Participant

I feel like I could start a tumblr: Look at this Fucking Eggplant.

Tonight, we had oven roasted rounds of Japanese eggplant, (3 – peeled, salted and squeezed) doused with olive oil and sesame oil, then dressed with the juice of half a lemon, three cloves of minced garlic and 1/3 cup Greek yogurt. Yum!

lisathewaitress
    Participant

i wouldn’t say it’s creative, but tasty nonetheless…last year a reader made a suggestion which was awesome (and I’m kinda meh on eggplant). place a whole eggplant in the coals of grill or in hot oven. Roast it until it looks kinda black on the outside and is really squashy when poked with tongs (about 30-40 minutes or even longer, depending on the size of the eggplant). Cut the eggplant open and drizzle with good olive oil and sprinkle with salt. it’s amazing how creamy and delicious eggplant can be if it’s fully cooked – no sponginess or anything. leftovers make very yummy baba ganoush.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Another good one is eggplant manicotti. Pan saute thin slices until soft. Fill with a little ricotta with garlic and herbs and what not. Roll them up with a toothpick and bake lightly with a tomato sauce, some fresh grated parm or romano and some parsley or chives.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: